Forums

Model 3 Logo Change

Model 3 Logo Change

aojugbele | 25 January, 2017

Not sure. Could be manufacturing or marketing reasons

topher | 25 January, 2017

ahh. I liked the logo as it was.

Haggy | 25 January, 2017

I think the original logo was a plot by the Chinese to take over America.

El Mirio | 25 January, 2017

At least it makes of our thank you cards a bit more rare. I liked the old logo too, but don’t mind the change.

Frank99 | 25 January, 2017

When it came time to fill out government forms, (like, you know, for emissions, safety, etc) they found out that Selectrics don't have a ≡.
That's really funny, for people of a certain age. You young'uns didn't have to live through the Selectric era.

PhillyGal | 25 January, 2017

LAME!

aojugbele | 25 January, 2017

I'm not bothered by it. Still the same car

"Whats in a name, that which we call a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Shakespeare

Red Sage ca us | 25 January, 2017

That sucks.

Make mine Model ☰.

I seem to remember Mitsubishi had no problem marketing the Sigma with an [U+1D6BA] emblem on the back.

The trademark for 'three stylized horizontal lines' that Tesla applied for was distinctly different from the 'E' in their logo. The lines were thinner, flatter, closer together, perhaps a little wider proportionally as well. More like the mathematical symbol for 'IDENTICAL TO' [U+2261] than the Trigram for 'HEAVEN' [U+2630].

Ford can EAT IT!

Steady81 | 25 January, 2017

Not a big deal, but I liked it the way it was. I am curious why they did it?

dsvick | 25 January, 2017

@Haggy - "I think the original logo was a plot by the Chinese to take over America."

That, and climate change.

El Mirio | 25 January, 2017

Whatever the reason is for the change, hopefully they did it now since 3rd reveal is just around the corner. Remember last November they said 3-4 months until 3rd reveal.Could be Mid Feb or late March.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/18/tesla-model-3-reveal-part-3-spring-2017/

bmwgs | 25 January, 2017

@Frank99
Or manual typewriters

mntlvr23 | 25 January, 2017

I would guess that it was close enough to E that maybe Ford is still giving them grief.

I can see EaglesPDX's next round of posts reading something like this: " Among the many things that Tesla is doing that is greatly upsetting most of the Model 3 reservers - is that they changed the logo that everyone was counting on (and we're promised) and they refuse to tell anyone why. This alone is creating a disproportionate amount of complaint posts in the forums"

SamO | 25 January, 2017

Ha ha ha @mntnlvr

akgolf | 25 January, 2017

@mntlvr23 - I was thinking the same thing!

Of course I just put a couple of Model ≡ stickers on the back of my Leaf!

Jcastillo18 | 25 January, 2017

I'm glad I haven't bought sticker or T-shirt or a hat boy would my face be red lol

Frank99 | 25 January, 2017
Red Sage ca us | 25 January, 2017

Seems to me they can use either or both marks.

Haggy | 25 January, 2017

"When it came time to fill out government forms, (like, you know, for emissions, safety, etc) they found out that Selectrics don't have a ≡."

Maybe they didn't have the balls.

dd.micsol | 26 January, 2017

When they advertise the 3 on tv soon just have the 3 spin around. Everyone will the the S3X and SEX with the 3 going the other way on the spin.

Red Sage ca us | 26 January, 2017

Haggy: +1! I understand that reference.

pavel | 26 January, 2017

Am I the only one that is just excited that something changed ? I mean, it's been crickets since last year and no news at all. This is giving me hope that we'll see something soon. Could care less if it's a 3 or a ≡

jordanrichard | 27 January, 2017

I don't think it has anything to do with the stylized number 3 (≡). Company logos are trademarked and a majority of them are not even letters or numbers. Toyota, Audi, Hyundai, Mazda, Mercedes Star, etc.....

JRKingston | 27 January, 2017

It's pretty clear from the article which alludes to Ashlee Vance's book on Elon, that the reason it was changed had to do with backing down from a trademark infringement case with Ford's Model E. Clearly some patent lawyer successfully made the case that "≡" was too close to E.

El Mirio | 27 January, 2017

Or their marketing department figured that model brand recognition for the masses would be greater by using a "3" instead of a "≡".

Not an issue for current Tesla fans, but anyone not familiar with Tesla seeing a "≡" zipping by, wouldn't know what "≡" stands for, hence decrease recognition.

Also Tesla does global uniform Model branding, other car manufacturers alter their model name depending on cultural aspects in each market, could be that "≡" is not favorable in certain cultures.

mntlvr23 | 27 January, 2017

Perhaps it will stay the "Model 3", but when put with other registered trademarks, it will often be shown as

≡ Model 3 ≡

Haggy | 27 January, 2017

On the one hand, Tesla uses the ≡ symbol as a stylized E in its own logo for Tesla. On the other hand, ≡ looks a lot like 三, which is unquestionably a symbol for 3 used by over a billion people.

dsvick | 27 January, 2017

It could just be to avoid confusion. As has been pointed out they use the same symbol in their name to represent the E, so if they use the same one for the car people may end up calling it the Model E.

jzambrano1017 | 27 January, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if it "3" was used for the badge in the back. If they did, it would be cool if reservation holders got the choice to choose between the logo and number.

gregcropper | 27 January, 2017

I prefer the original designation, but I'm sure Tesla wants to 1) avoid a lawsuit from Ford and 2) simplify marketing.

rcuerdon | 28 January, 2017

I like the old logo better, but it won't make a bit of difference on my car. I've always removed the model badges from my cars for a cleaner look.

rcuerdon | 28 January, 2017

I like the old logo better, but it won't make a bit of difference on my car. I've always removed the model badges from my cars for a cleaner look.

andy.connor.e | 28 January, 2017

A company changed their logo appearance? Dang, never seen that happen.

bmwgs | 28 January, 2017

@rcuerdon
" I've always removed the model badges from my cars for a cleaner look".
You're kidding,right?

grahamhgreen | 28 January, 2017

Likely done for ease of communication.

Red Sage ca us | 29 January, 2017

There is a Mercedes-Benz emblem that is known to represent that company. Toyota has their emblem too. And Tesla has theirs.

As I've pointed out before, Misubishi used a Sigma emblem on their cars for years without issue. Mazda already uses '3' on their cars. BMW has no problem using their'///M' emblem on certain cars, and no one says anything at all about it. So why should there be a problem with Tesla using 'Model ☰' on the back of a car?

rcuerdon | 30 January, 2017

@bmwgs
No. The brand badges stay on (so the Tesla T will still be there.) However, I've always thought model designation badges detract from the rear aesthetic.

Haggy | 30 January, 2017

There are many people who debadge their cars. Early Teslas didn't have the full designation badges that they have now, so if you see a Tesla without it (especially if it lacks AP hardware) that might be why. Otherwise, it's because somebody removed it.

I don't see why the rest of the world needs to know what size battery I have or whether or not I have AWD, but it would be far more convenient if I went somewhere that required tire chains for RWD but not AWD. The little trick of using a mirror at the end of a pole to look for a drive shaft won't help somebody trying to figure it out. There's also no practical reason why I would care whether a person knows whether or not I have a P option. All that's true until the car ends up on a lot for sale. Then it's pretty relevant. But so would a window sticker that says whether the car has an upgraded stereo or autopilot.