Forums

EVgo Network and compatibility with Tesla

EVgo Network and compatibility with Tesla

The EVgo network has recently installed a couple of charging stations a few miles from my home. To me it appears that there are no adapters for a Tesla to use either the J1772 or high voltage port.

The first cable (see https://flic.kr/p/S8NMgn) has what looks like a J1772 port; but, the dual lower prongs prohibit the use of the Tesla adapter.

The second cable (see https://flic.kr/p/QTNZdt) doesn't look like any high voltage adapter for a Tesla that I've seen.

Can anyone fill me in on if there is anyway a Tesla can use a EVgo charging station?

Thanks.

SUN 2 DRV | 14 February, 2017

Teslas come with a small J1772 adapter that fits onto a J172 plug and the adapter fits into the Tesla's charge port. I believe that does what you want.

rxlawdude | 14 February, 2017

The mutant J1772 is the SAE connector for the Chevy Bolt.

SCCRENDO | 14 February, 2017

You should have a J1772 adapter in your bag. They also have a Chademo. I bought a Chademo adapter ($450) 3 years ago. Have only used it 4-5 times. In California it is probably not necessary with the supercharger buildup but a worthwhile backup. Gives about 120-130 miles per hour. The J1772 gives around 20 miles per hour.

Pricee2 | 14 February, 2017

Unless it has changed in the newer Teslas the J1772 should be in the glove box in the back left corner. There is a hole there to hold it.

Pricee2 | 14 February, 2017

---J1772 adapter---

barney | 15 February, 2017

Thanks for the Tesla J1772 adapter suggestion; however, the EVgo version (look: https://flic.kr/p/S8NMgn) has the extra pins below that interferes in letting the Tesla adapter work. So forget the Tesla factory adapter for these stations. It sounds like rxlawdude has this figured out; it's Chevy Bolt version of J1772. It looks like we are out of luck.

barney | 15 February, 2017

As far as the other cable at the EVgo stations: https://flic.kr/p/QTNZdt. It may take Tesla's CHAdeMO Adapter. I don't have on, so I can't compare the end of it to the photo of the cable I took. Maybe someone on here can verify it. Thanks.

SCCRENDO | 15 February, 2017

@barney. I have used eVgo successfully in the past. It's been a while but I will go check my adapters.

reed_lewis | 15 February, 2017

The J-1772 with the extra plugs is a CCS type plug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System

It is not compatible with a standard J-1772 adapter or car. But it works with Chevrolet, BMW, and others/

The only three power sources for the Tesla are:

- Tesla plug (just plug it in)
- Standard J-1772 (plug it in through the J-1772 adapter which is included with the Tesla)
- CHAdeMO which requires the Tesla ChAdeMO adapter.

At the mall I go to, they have the CCS and CHAdeMO power sources. They require a card to activate. They also have a J-1772 plug which does not require any card to work.

Rocky_H | 15 February, 2017

Wow. I looked at the pictures, and recognize both of them.

Anyone suggesting using the J1772 adapter--no, incorrect.

@rxlawdude, @reed_lewis, +1

The plug in the first picture is a Type 1 CCS (combo charge system). Tesla does not make any adapter for it.

The plug in the second picture is CHAdeMO. Tesla does sell an adapter for it here:
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/produc...

drklain | 15 February, 2017

That is correct. The CCS-style appears to be where industry is going. I suspect that if this happens, Tesla will make an adapter for it much like the CHAdeMO adapter...may just take a year or two until we get it as standards settle out and a clear winner emerges. If the Bolt and other new EV models are successful, I suspect the standard in the US will tilt in the direction of CCS.

Rocky_H | 15 February, 2017

@drklain, I agree. CCS just practically and space-wise makes more sense.

You have the two main plug types for AC: Type 1 in North America (called J1772) and Type 2 in Europe (called Mennekes). You still use those for the communication, but just have two bigger pins available below it. It is just one sizeable port on the car, where you can use just the top half for AC or the whole thing for DC, rather than the gigantic thing of having to put both a J1772 socket and a big CHAdeMO socket side by side.

stevenmaifert | 15 February, 2017

What is pictured are the connectors for the EVgo Network DCFC Freedom Station. As others have mentioned, you have to purchase the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to use it. It is common practice (at least here in San Diego) for EVgo to also co-locate a L2 J1772 charger with their Freedom Stations. The Tesla supplied adapter that comes with the car works on that.

Goose | 15 February, 2017

both the CCS SAE and the Chademo chargers are Direct Current Fast Chargers, capable of providing around 128 mph of charge. Both plugs are beasts and they are fairly typical of a "design by committee" process.

As mentioned above, Tesla sells only a chademo adapter presently. Beware, though, in the midwest at least, the EVgo stations charge a $6 session fee plus $0.20 per minute and are quite often down for repairs.

barney | 16 February, 2017

Thanks to everyone for clearing this up and answering the question in detail.
Regards, Barney

Frank99 | 16 February, 2017

Quick question on the CCS-Combo connector. I'm assuming that it can be used as a Level-2 AC charger, or a DCFC, depending on the car that it's plugged into, correct? Assuming, of course, that a car that doesn't support DCFC physically allows the CCS-Combo connector to connect (unlike the Tesla J1772 adapter).

Rocky_H | 16 February, 2017

@Frank99, No, it doesn't work that way. It's a one-way compatibility. The port on the car can accept either plug, right? You can plug in a regular J1772 into just the top part for AC charging, or if you have a full CCS plug, you plug the whole thing in for DC quick charge.

But you can't use the CCS plug into a car that just has a J1772 port to do AC charging. It's both: it won't fit, and that charging handle isn't providing AC electricity anyway.

lestersj | 5 December, 2018

Hi all,
Have the same problem as Barney. Can’t use the Tesla J1772 adapter with the EVgo CCS charger because of the ridge between the upper circle and the lower pins.
Anyone know of a solution or mods to the adapter to allow it to pull in?
Thanks

reed_lewis | 6 December, 2018

A CCS plug will NOT work with a Tesla at all. There is no adapter at all, and no way to use it currently.

The CCS plug only outputs DC power, and will not work with the Tesla currently. Just because the top part is a J-1772 plug, it is not a J-1772 A/C power source.

Yodrak. | 6 December, 2018

"Can’t use the Tesla J1772 adapter with the EVgo CCS charger because of the ridge between the upper circle and the lower pins."

Argh! No! as many posters have explained, it's not the physical shape of the plugs and sockets that doesn't allow use of the chargers. The physical discrepancy is an intentional barrier to plugging in because the electrical connection would not work if you could physically plug in. The electronics are not compatible.

At some point adapters will become available from third parties, and they will be expensive. But they still may not allow connectivity in all cases much as the J1772-Tesla adapter will not allow a non-Tesla EV to use a supercharger, because supercharger software looks to see what Tesla is connecting and if it's not a Tesla the supercharger won't provide charging.

reed_lewis | 7 December, 2018

I seriously wonder if anyone will come out with a CCS to Tesla adapter. Perhaps that is in the works, but with Tesla creating the largest network, I doubt they will invest the time and energy to make a CCS adapter.

And I seem to remember reading somewhere that you cannot have a pigtail between the CCS and the car. The connector would have to be rather large and a lot of weight would be imposed on the Tesla connector in the car which might result in premature failure.

Yodrak. | 8 December, 2018

"The [CCS] connector would have to be rather large and a lot of weight would be imposed on the Tesla connector in the car which might result in premature failure."

The CHAdeMO (I can never remember which letters to capitalize) adapter for Tesla is rather large. I don't know how much weight it adds to the cable that's already hanging down from the plug, but I notice that supercharger cables are rather heavy.

ravisundaramam | 8 December, 2018

Is the CCS standard deliberately sabotaged to make it incompatible with Tesla? Like some prohibition on creating dumb adapters?

Earl and Nagin ... | 9 December, 2018

@ravi,
My understanding is that only real sabotage with SAE CCS was the stubborn requirement that it had to be backward compatible with J-1772 AC connection with a single connector. J-1772 was somewhat sabotaged earlier by GM's (and possibly others') push on J-1772 to ensure that its power connectors couldn't handle very much current. They pushed for an anemic 16 amp max (ensuring the requirement for an ICE for long distance driving) while Tesla pushed for the full (~400 amp) capability needed for DC Fast charging. The 80 amp max for J-1772 was kind of the compromise reached.
That J-1772 compromise pretty much ensured that additional connectors would be needed for CCS if it were to be built upon J-1772.
This is why CCS is a J-1772 connector with a couple of extra heavy connectors below it, resulting in the "Frankenplug" to which it is often unceremoniously referred.

Earl and Nagin ... | 9 December, 2018

@ravi,
I should add that Tesla just went ahead and made their own connector. In the early, days, however, Tesla engineers said that Tesla was using the exact same electrical characteristics as CCS, similar to how they did their AC characteristics with J-1772. This would enable a simple mechanical adapter, similar to the J-1772 adapter instead of a complex, adapter like CHAdeMO required.
I'm not sure what happened to that plan within Tesla. All of the folks from whom I heard the story left Tesla. Perhaps they found other issues that arose with CCS compatibility with their connector.
I believe it would be great if an adapter were available so that everyone could take advantage of all new infrastructure built out in the future. I hope Tesla comes out with such a thing now that the Model 3 appears to be smoothing out and they can start to look at other new things.