Forums

Iphone lost in console

Iphone lost in console

I had my iphone 6 without a case on the center console. I stopped slightly quickly and it slid under the little shelf. I reached there for it and it slid further. I tried again and it slid still further until it fell into a slot that allows the console top cover to slide back. The console cover then would not open all the way since the phone was in the track. My son reached his small hands inside to try and get this slippery phone and it fell behind the console. Gone. No mans land. The entire console has to be taken out to retrieve the phone. I only post so that anyone else might be aware that a slim phone can slide into the inner most parts of the car if not careful.

lilbean | 21 February, 2017

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the warning. I just leave mine in my bag.

PedanticOne | 21 February, 2017

Turn your car upside down and shake it.

burdogg | 21 February, 2017

Really Sorry to hear that

On the flip side - PedanticOne and I will come shake your car upside down for you and see if it will slide out for you - just let us know when and where :) I am sure we can do it :-)

I better do some deadlifts to practice.

inconel | 21 February, 2017

Sorry to hear and thanks for the warning. Hope it is not too costly to take the console apart.

Also be careful if you turn the car upside down as the inverters will no longer be inverted and will no longer function properly

lol

I lost my brothers gym card in between the dash and the windshield. Nissan didn't charge him. Hopefully, Tesla won't charge you.

Silver2K | 21 February, 2017

you need help? this should take car of this issues!

http://i.imgur.com/x8QgcxI.jpg

Ahaha!

Uncle Paul | 21 February, 2017

I has some things also slip through that slot. Ended up taking out the cup holder inserts in the compartment in front of that cubby, closing the lid on the cubby, and could easily reach back and grab my stuff. Big hands no problem. Could reach pretty far back.

Or, in the humor of this thread, you could put your phone on vibrate and park on a steep hill, or maybe only half in jest slam on your brakes and maybe your phone will come sliding out :)

Lbkp100d | 21 February, 2017

That stinks! Thanks for the heads up!

Phawker1, great advice! I'm going to try it and see how far I can reach. :)

burdogg | 21 February, 2017

Op - hope you have a good sense of humor - we really don't mean to make light of a crappy situation for you - so hopefully some of our unhelpful comments gave you at least a little comic relief :)

PedanticOne - you got this, I mean, anyone who has a RED car has got to be strong right?

Inconel - That was really funny - But what if the inverter gets univerted, can I just reinvert it? Wouldn't that do the trick?

satchels - Did you try phawker1 suggestion? Is it possible you could still get it? or did it disappear like socks in the dryer (where do those things go?)

I tried it and it is easy to reach but I think the phone is outside of the area that can be reached by hand.

Saxman | 21 February, 2017

Now if this was an ICE vehicle you could pour some tainted motor oil in the engine, shake the car real good, until the iPhone blows out the tailpipe

:)

satchels | 22 February, 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tesla is going to take care of it for me:) Good ol' Tesla

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tesla is going to take care of it for me:) Good ol' Tesla

lilbean | 22 February, 2017

Yay! I thought they would. Now I want to figure out what to put in there to avoid this.

Silver2K | 22 February, 2017

If Tesla doesn't take care of it next time, just unbolt the battery pack and drop it on a dolly so you can wheel it out of the way (of course!). Then grab my suggested tool here http://i.imgur.com/x8QgcxI.jpg and cut a big enough hole to reach through and get the phone.

You can use this suggesting for change that falls through also.

also

1. For safety purposes, put a rubber gasket around the edge of the hole to avoid cutting your hands.
2. to close the hole from the bottom, just put the battery pack in place it will be covered.
3. to close the hole from the top, just roll the carpet back and that should take care of the top.

So as it turns out the console did not have to come out. The little open tray that sits just above the sliding door is easy to take out. Pushing down hard on it & 2 clips allow it to come off and then it slides right out. This allowed us to see the phone back in there and with some duct tape and some careful maneuvering, Tesla tech got the phone. I suggest not keeping an phone without a case on the top of the console. I didn't even hit the brakes that hard and it went sliding right into that slot. A phone case would prevent it or keeping the phone somewhere else. Who woulda known? Public service announcement y'all.
(By the way: I do not recommend unbolting the battery pack or turning car upside down and shaking. )

lilbean | 22 February, 2017

Glad it was easy. :)

yeah but my instruction are good if push comes to shove.

instructions...

burdogg | 22 February, 2017

Great to hear - question though, why don't you recommend turning the car upside down and shaking? Is it for fear that the phone will fall on the ground and crack the glass? :)

my idea would NOT damage the device

burdogg | 22 February, 2017

But it wouldn't allow me to flex my muscles :(

Again satchel - thanks for letting us know and giving us the update.

PedanticOne - you can stop doing your deadlifts - we are not needed anymore.

inconel | 22 February, 2017

I like happy endings

PedanticOne | 22 February, 2017

@burdogg boo. I was just about prepped, too.

Saxman | 23 February, 2017

Pedantic

Are you out of your fetal position now?

PedanticOne | 23 February, 2017

LEAVE ME ALONE /cries softly

rlwrw | 23 February, 2017

Lockheed actually used to turn every SR-71 upside down, this way and that to shake out the FOD before they left the factory.
Workers were then told to identify their parts and tools, and then there was some ass chewing.
Yes. They actually maneuvered an entire plane into unusual attitudes in the factory.

Silver2K | 23 February, 2017

I loved doing FOD walk downs on a carrier flight deck whenever my squadron went out.

/sarcasm

Silver2K | 23 February, 2017

inconel | February 22, 2017
I like happy endings
---------------------

+1

Solarman004 | 27 February, 2017

I filled the dreaded cubby gap with 3/4" of black foam. Photos are at this post:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/eliminated-the-center-console-bl...

Solarman004 | 27 February, 2017

I filled the dreaded cubby gap with 3/4" of black foam. Photos are at this post:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/eliminated-the-center-console-bl...

PedanticOne | 27 February, 2017

Since I still have to live vicariously, I visited the showroom yesterday and saw the infamous phone-eating slot and I have to say, what on earth were they thinking?

lilbean | 27 February, 2017

Nice Solarman! I was thinking of doing the same thing.

georgehawley.fl.us | 27 February, 2017

I just got a new phone when this happened. Sooner or later the space will fill with old phones and it won't happen any more.

PedanticOne | 27 February, 2017

Brilliant!

lilbean | 27 February, 2017

Haha, george!

Ross1 | 28 February, 2017

or did it disappear like socks in the dryer (where do those things go?)

Over here, we all know what happens to missing socks: they morph into wire coat hangers.
Look in your wardrobe next time a sock goes missing.

And: my old signature: if you cant fix it with duct tape then you cant fix it.

lilbean | 28 February, 2017

That's why we should have an old school flip phone.

lilbean | 28 February, 2017

Yes, Ross! Duct tape! That also solves the cubby problem.

vvishal1 | 18 September, 2019

All you have to do is push the cubby below the display down hard and it opens the space enough to get the phone out. You can push it back in place again. Easy peasy, I learnt that at the service center today after 2 hours of trial.

oldxcskiguy | 29 September, 2019

I posted a Youtube Video on how to remove the cubby after I lost my park pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_jd8BsaT9o

CatTrax | 29 September, 2019

Nice, @oldxcskiguy . . . thanks much for sharing!! Hope to keep close eye on my iPhone and Senior Pass so as to avoid this exercise. But, if I rutrow . . . I know what to do now. Much appreciated!