Forums

Every ever Toyota Mirai recalled

Every ever Toyota Mirai recalled

Hydrogen car Mirais are all recalled for software bug.
Bet they wish they had Over The air updates.

https://www.cnet DOT com/roadshow/news/toyota-recalls-all-the-mirais-for-software-bug/

DTsea | 24 February, 2017

That's like, what, 90 cars? No big. :)

Mike83 | 24 February, 2017

I wouldn't be comfortable keeping this car in my garage let alone driving in it.

Mike83, interestingly thats how people felt about ICE cars 100 years ago. That's why old houses have detached garages. Attached garages didnt start showing up til the 1930s.

So maybe in 20 years fuel cell vehicles will be trusted.... if they are still around.

DTsea, very interesting about gas cars. After driving Teslas for 4 years I don't feel safe in any ICE vehicle as they are weak in power and safety compared to our Tesla. Our attached garage has a Tesla. Come spring I want to really make the garage pristine for our baby.

TeslaTap.com | 24 February, 2017

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-recalls-all-the-mirais-for-sof...

Actually Toyota is calling it a "customer satisfaction campaign" :)

"A unique set of driving conditions -- for example, jamming the accelerator to the floor after driving on a long descent under cruise control -- might cause the fuel cell's boost converter to output voltage higher than the maximum. If that happens, a warning light will come on and the fuel cell system will stop running."

I read this to mean, you have a mile or two of driving on 1.6 kWh battery before it completely dies.

Didn't realize the were able to sell 2840 of these beasts. An impressive job by the marketing department.

Wow 2840?

Of course since there are so few places to fuel them maybe they arent on the road much.

I don't smoke but what happens if you light up a cigar in the car and there is a slight leak of H2. I hope you remember the guy sitting in the lawn chair with a stogie at the supercharger who some claim was a local.

@Mike - I think you'll be ok. As I understand it, non liquid Hydrogen will leak with a sealed system. I'm not sure the rate, which is hopefully slow. It's basically impossible to make a sealed container for non-liquid Hydrogen, as it's the smallest molecule and will go through just about anything, especially at 10,000 psi they use. It's a wonder of materials science that they can hold hydrogen as well as they do. Now for those leaks - hydrogen dissipates really quickly - so quickly there may not even be that much risk if the tank were ruptured. Not sure I want to try it out though!

Actually if the H2 tank ruptured you might have a high powered missile at 10k PSI !
My SCUBA tank is at 3.5k PSI and I heard of an accident where one nozzle broke off and it went flying through a cement wall for 2 blocks.
These tanks need to be certified and checked yearly and replaced if there is any corrosion. Maintenance might be very expensive.

@Mike83 - Hadn't thought about that risk! I don't see how they can sell these with a straight face. I guess someone had to justify spending billions in development. Think of where Toyota could be today if that same money was spent instead in EV development.

I admire Toyota for their innovation in the Prius, attention to detail and 50 year plans. But sometimes a 50 year plan may need an adjustment like putting their hydrogen cars in the wastebasket.

rxlawdude | 24 February, 2017

@Mike and @TTap - Actually, the fuel tanks have an EXPIRATION DATE due to hydrogen embrittlement.

finman100 | 24 February, 2017

http://insideevs.com/2016-toyota-mirai-refuel-2029/

How does this help sustainable transport? oh, that's right, it doesn't. Stupid physics and laws of nature. (sarcasm)

DonS | 24 February, 2017

I am still concerned about inevitable leaks. Hydrogen in air is explosive over the range of 4% to 75% concentration, and takes very low energy to trigger. Gasoline looks almost idiot proof in comparison.

SamO | 24 February, 2017

Planned obsolescence

Ross1 | 24 February, 2017

The point of my OP is that where Tesla can fix issues oner the air, and do so frequently, Toyota and everyone else have to recall every car they ever built.
That is for every fault, each time.
Perhaps Teslas have more faults, or is it that you will always have the most perfect car they can keep giving you, a new model every day/week whatever, whereas with the also-rans, you have got what you got.

@rxlawdude - Good point. The tank expires in 15 years. I wonder if the car comes with a timer that dies on the 15 year mark :)

brando | 27 February, 2017

side note: Hindenburg fire
Almost 2 out of 3 survived - how many airplane crashes could claim the same? 97 people and 36 died.
Do google search, and watch video clips too.

rxlawdude | 28 February, 2017

@brando - Oh, the humanity!

georgehawley.fl.us | 1 March, 2017

Toyota has over-the-air SW updates. They fly a programmer out of Aichi for the job.

Ross1 | 2 March, 2017

Ummm, actually, it seems Tesl* might have recalled every ever M*

https://www.inverse.com/article/8398-tesla-recalls-all-model-s-cars-seat...

Ross1 | 2 March, 2017

Lots of articles on that site will interest Tesla and SpaceX fans

https://www.inverse.com/article/8398-tesla-recalls-all-model-s-cars-seat...

Ross1 | 2 March, 2017

@George:
We have guests at Cottage On The Beach from Florida, do you know Nick?
Lol
:)

georgehawley.fl.us | 2 March, 2017

Probably

Darko | 2 March, 2017

And what happens in case of bad - intentioned leak, like if someone would shoot a bullet into your fuel cell car, and it penetrates the H2 tank - would we have a real bomb here?

rxlawdude | 2 March, 2017

@Darko, probably not a bomb, but if the bullet hole was placed strategically, it might be the first jet powered Mirai. :0)