Forums

Terrible smell from charging X

Terrible smell from charging X

Got my Model X 90d the end of December. Have always been charging to 80%. Last Thursday I set charge limit to 100 as we were taking a trip. My garage smelled awful. Didn't realize where the smell was coming from. Left Saturday and still have charge limit set to 100. Every time I go back to car in morning I can smell this car. Going home today and will drop back down to 80%. I've called tesla support yesterday but got no answer. They are calling back today. Has anyone had a similar situation? It is not a burning smell.

lilbean | 6 March, 2017

There have been posts that rodents like to sneak into the car. Owners have found rodents in the frunk.

ir | 6 March, 2017

Dead rodent(s). Warm Tesla charging in enclosed space... What could possibly go wrong? :P

jleonar1 | 6 March, 2017

The frunk is empty and no rodents in garage.

jleonar1 | 9 March, 2017

So just got a call from Service and they checked my logs and apparently the 12V battery is bad. Can't believe they could diagnose from Corporate and they are sending someone out with new battery and also checking the charger. Yea Tesla Service. Thank you.

ir | 9 March, 2017

Welcome to the future!

Solarman004 | 9 March, 2017

Glad to hear you have a solution. I'm concerned to hear you have a bad 12 V battery after only 2 months. Please let us know if they find any issue that contributed to bad battery when they change it out.

PedanticOne | 9 March, 2017

I keep reading about bad 12V batteries. Did they get a bad batch?

lilbean | 9 March, 2017

Thanks for the update.

PedanticOne | 9 March, 2017

Maybe the batteries had rodents in them.

/runs

Model_D | 9 March, 2017

A faulty lead acid battery can become overcharged. The overcharging releases sulphur gas. This would cause a bad smell. It is funny that a carryover from an ICE car was part of the problem.

lilbean | 9 March, 2017

Now I know what to look out for. I'm always learning here. :-)

jleonar1 | 10 March, 2017

This is what I got from Tesla Ranger
12Volt battery is leaking and giving off strong sulphur scent. They said probably bad cell. Cleaned up acid spill, hope it doesn't eat thru anything, and replaced battery. Now my garage is back to normal with no smell. Life is grand plus I got new software update and car is really getting better with auto pilot and the parking is very smooth. A little scary letting it control the steering, braking and direction but worked perfectly 3 different times. Only complaint is it's kind of slow identifying parking stalls.

tyler.l.thompson | 28 October, 2018

Same smell from my X. Thought it was a dead rodent in the garage. Also have a bad 12v battery.

seranseran1995 | 13 December, 2018

So just got a call from Service and they checked my logs and apparently the 12V battery is bad. Can't believe they could diagnose from Corporate and they are sending someone out with new battery and also checking the charger. Yea Tesla Service. Thank you.

https://subwaysurfers.vip/ , https://psiphon.vip/ , https://hillclimbracing.vip/

barolet | 10 October, 2019

Strange smell from charging Model X in my garage

Got my Model X 90d 3yrs ago. Have always been charging to 80%. In the last year or so a strange smell (like the smell of a dirty mop!) happens - every time I go back to my car in the morning I can smell it again. Has anyone had a similar situation?