Forums

Model x hot air in the back

Model x hot air in the back

Can you guys do me a favor. Next time your in your model X and you have the temp sent to HI can you tell me if the air that blows out from the middle, back seat area is hot? Or cold air? The air coming out the "rear" is nothing like the African heat coming out the front. I brought this in for service and they said it's working like normal.

Solarman004 | 8 April, 2017

It is cool to barely warm in mine. Also had it at the SC and told it was normal. I don't use the rear heater anymore. It's a lot of electrical consumption for very little benefit. My children actually complain about the cool breeze blowing on them from the vents. They do like the seat warmers, however.

joliver328 | 8 April, 2017

I'm in the same boat.....

Anyone else?

Anyone else?

carlk | 8 April, 2017

I never noticed but couldn't you set temperature differently between front and rear?

Yes but I want to know if myself and solarman are the only ones that no matter what temp you sent it to. It's "cool"

TeslaTap.com | 8 April, 2017

It may depend on your configuration. The 6 and 7 seat configurations have a 2nd heater/AC for the rear seats. The 5 seater does not. No one responding so far has stated which variant they have.

Solarman004 | 8 April, 2017

That is correct. In the 6 seat model, which I have, and in the 7 seater, the rear heating element and fan are in the far back, right corner of the car. The 3rd row ducts being closer to the fan get higher airflow and slightly warmer temps. The 2nd row ducts have lower airflow and temps.
If you try to close off the 3rd row duct registers to force more air to the middle, it does work somewhat, but makes for a noisy 3rd row.
Carlk, yes the front and rear are independently controlled. But, setting the front for 66 and rear for 78, for example, I get warmer air in the front.

sql4nt | 26 January, 2019

My 2019 MX75D 7-seater blows cold air in the middle row even when both the front and rear heaters are set to "High" heat. Uncomfortable for everyone in the car and very disappointing to me. More than that, even the leg room in the front row seems to pocket cold air making your legs and feet cold. I would pay to correct this so I can brag that Tesla takes care of discovered problems to make its customers happy. Less whoopie cushion and more comfort please.

jjgunn | 27 January, 2019

Are you giving it a chance to warm up? If so, it's a brand new car. Bring it in to the service center. They will fix it - shouldn't be any charge as car is still under warranty.

Redmiata98 | 28 January, 2019

Read page 121 of the user guide to make sure you haven’t overlooked this.
“Range Mode: If on, Model X conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system and turning off signature lighting. Cabin heating and cooling may be less effective, but seat heaters can be used to provide warmth in colder climates. When turned on in an All-Wheel Drive vehicle, torque distribution between the motors is optimized to maximize range.”