Forums

Model 3 charging specs? Dual chargers available?

Model 3 charging specs? Dual chargers available?

Did they ever mention what sort of on board charger is on the 3? And if dual will be an option? Need to know what the best home set up will be. Planning a 60amp but if it can take 100 I'd rather do that, but it can only take 50, then I'll save some $...? Any one who was there get any specs?
Thanks, and THANKS to all TESLA employees for making this car happen! You rock!

M3München | 29 July, 2017

Specs are on the Tesla website. Well, I can't find the detailed information anymore, but you can find the same details here:

https://electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/

ken | 29 July, 2017

Isn't the most you can get on a new S or X 72 Amp now? I just had my wall charger installed on a 60A breaker and plan to charge my S at 48A.

bcld | 29 July, 2017

I had two wall charges installed with clean 100 Amps to each. It sounds like they will be no better than my level 2 charges?

Model_D | 29 July, 2017

Looks to me like short range version is 32A max. The long range one should be at least 40A. 99.9% of the owners will only need to overnight charge at 32A and supercharge.

Scuffers | 29 July, 2017

Hard to know, getting accurate/basic info on current S & X is nigh impossible, so M3 is anyone's guess...

Nash2k4 | 1 August, 2017

Will the included plug be a Nema 14-50? Anyone know?

Tâm | 1 August, 2017

@Nash2k4

Yes.

The above link posted by M3München clearly listed it

"Standard Accessories

240 volt NEMA 14-50 adapter
120 volt NEMA 5-15 adapter
J1772 public charging adapter
20 foot mobile connector with storage bag"

MSMD | 2 August, 2017

I have owned my Model S for a year and cannot think of one occasion where the 72A onboard charger was necessary or even utilized. I charge at 40A via NEMA 14-50 99.9% of the time. My daily charging is done in about an hour or 2. I don't even have time to goto sleep before its done charging :)

bp | 3 August, 2017

Our S 100D came with the then standard 48A (they've since made the 72A charger standard).

For overnight charging, that's fast enough to fully recharge the battery pack.

Our S P85 is sharing the same 100A circuit, and has the charging limited to 32A (even though it has an 80A charger), and it also recharges overnight.

The Model 3 battery packs will be smaller than the S/X 100 battery packs, so the 32A charger should be fine for overnight charging.

The only time the faster onboard charging is needed is if you use a destination charger or public charger and need to quickly charge during the day. And that's something we haven't needed to do with our 2012 S P85.

Rocky_H | 3 August, 2017

@bp, Quote: "The only time the faster onboard charging is needed is if you use a destination charger or public charger and need to quickly charge during the day. And that's something we haven't needed to do with our 2012 S P85."

I agree that it's not very relevant for home use but mainly for non-Supercharger routes when traveling. That's why I'm a little impatient for Supercharger coverage along the Boise to Bend Oregon route and the Boise to Winnemucca Nevada route since newer cars have lower power onboard chargers and can't make good use of the 80A wall connectors available on those routes.