Forums

Will the USB charging option deliver fast charging

Will the USB charging option deliver fast charging

Hi there esteemed fans I was just wondering if any of you had additional information regarding how fast smart phones tend to charge in a tesla? Will it be the same as a model s/x which I don't know the current charging times or will it be the standard 1amp charge that most cars offer?

bbjj33 | 12 August, 2017

I am quite sure that the charging will be a standard 1 amp. However, at this time, there has not been any official words as to the charging speeds. Typically, fast charging is only available with special adapters because not too older devices support it.

TeslaTap.com | 12 August, 2017

The Model S and X currently only offer standard charging, which is about 500ma, not 1 amp. Fast charging only works when no data is being used - i.e. you can't use if for music. For the Model S and X, the front two USB ports are data/charging (500 mA), and the rears are charging only (I measured 600 mA on my rear USB ports). I expect the Model 3 will be the same.

I recommend you get a $10 12v accessory USB adapter that provides 2.1 amp fast charging. Some offer 2 USB charging ports. Then you get the best of all worlds!

phil | 12 August, 2017

Why should a new car be built to support older phone devices? Are lots of people buying $50k new cars while continuing to use 10 year old Blackberries?

You're right it's typical for new cars to support only slow charging, but it's a little annoying. I'd expect Tesla to be among the first to support 3A USB. But I suspect you're right again that the Model 3 will not have it, at least not at first, since they do not mention it in the published specs.

SCCRENDO | 12 August, 2017

I agree with TeslaTap. The USB ports on the Model S are slow. I use a dual adapter in the "cigarette lighter" socket and can charge my iPad Pro and iPhone relatively quickly at the same time.

Frank99 | 12 August, 2017

Charging standards over USB have changed half-a-dozen times in the last ten years, and there are probably a dozen or more now. Frankly, I wish they'd built the USB ports as plug-ins, so that next year I could buy a replacement plug-in that supports my new phone's super-duper-ultra-fast charge rate.

Rocky_H | 14 August, 2017

We had one of those 12V cig lighter adapters that had two ports on it, but they were 2A and 1A, and they had that annoying thing that some of these USB adapters do, where if you plugged two phones in that were both trying to draw too much, they would just keep connecting and disconnecting as it couldn't supply that much. Screw that.

I found a two-pack on Amazon of those cig lighter adapters that supports full 2A on both sockets simultaneously, and it wasn't much more than most of the regular ones. I highly recommend to look for that.

TeslaTap.com | 14 August, 2017

Plenty of adapters out there. Here's one that has two fast charge USB connections (4.8 amps total) for $12 at Amazon: http://amzn.to/2fH0TPD Handles both Apple and Android fast charging.

stevenmaifert | 14 August, 2017

I've been using this one problem free for over a year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s... Fast charges both our smartphones simultaneously, or whatever I plug into it.

alias4me | 14 August, 2017

How many miles of range will you lose if you charge your iPhone in your car? :)

Frank99 | 14 August, 2017

iPhone battery - 2 amp-hours @ 3.7v = 7.4 watt-hours
Model 3 standard - 50,000+ watt-hours.
Miles of range lost: about 0.03 miles out of a 220 mile range...

andy.connor.e | 15 August, 2017

Pushing the charging speed to 3A will destroy your phone battery over time. Bet you'll end up being one of those people that gets a new phone every 1-2 years because the battery just doesnt last anymore.

In my experience, keeping the charging speed to less than 2A is optimal. Side by side comparison with someone using 2.1A vs me using 1A, my battery lasts literally 1/3 longer after 1.5 years.

TeslaTap.com | 15 August, 2017

@andy - Wise advise!

stevenmaifert | 15 August, 2017

While repeated fast charging of your phone battery will accelerate the onset of loss of capacity, I can replace the battery in my Samsung G3 for less than $10. Not such a bad trade off.

ybbor | 15 August, 2017

I wish they would have included a USB-C port

LostInTx | 15 August, 2017

Frank99, 0.03 miles doesn't sound like much until you realize that's 158 feet. The wife will use her fully charged phone to tell me about the additional 158 feet she had to walk to get from her Model 3 to the line at Starbucks.

@stevenmaifert

Depends your needs! If charging speed doesnt matter, why impose a maintenance cost? But if you are put in situations where you need the charge as fast as possible, then its a very minor inconvenience.

stevenmaifert | 15 August, 2017

@andy.connor.e - Just a point of discussion. The only time I plug into the faster charger is when I'm using a power hungry app on the phone, like streaming video.

very minor inconvenience, being to have to change the battery every year or 2.

Agree with your points.

bj | 16 August, 2017

"Will the USB charging option deliver fast charging" - no, charging your car via USB will take an unfeasibly large amount of time. I recommend Supercharging for true fast charging.

HAW HAW HAW!!!

OK, I'll see myself out...

Nexxus | 16 August, 2017

That's "bj" folks! He'll be here till Thursday!

Shock | 16 August, 2017

So nobody sees the problem with buying a very expensive car and immediately spending $13 on some adapter for the 12V that delivers proper amps to the USB ports?

Frank99 | 16 August, 2017

I made my position quite clear in my first post on this thread. That said, nobody knows what the capabilities of the USB ports are in the Model 3.

Rocky_H | 16 August, 2017

@Shock, Quote: "So nobody sees the problem with buying a very expensive car and immediately spending $13 on some adapter for the 12V that delivers proper amps to the USB ports?"

You're not getting where the restriction is, though. The 2A supply is actually non-compliant with the USB specification for those kinds of ports. That's why they can't do that. If you want it to be data compliant, to be able to read music from USB flash drives, it can only use up to the 1A spec. For other ports, they can decide they are just for charging and have the higher current but no data reading capability. That's one of the big things that USB-C type of ports are going to be great for, but for now, there are still a pretty small number of devices that support that.

alias4me | 16 August, 2017

@Frank99 So if you run out of battery in your Model 3 just 150' from a charger you should be able to get there with your fully charged iPhone. Just crawl underneath and hook it up. Maybe Tesla will put in a docking station just for this.

I'm not sure that Apple would approve of trying to pull several thousand amps out of the iPhone battery in order to get the car that last 150'. I'd be interested in watching what happens as a result of that experiment..from a distance, of course.

adias.angel | 16 August, 2017

I see a few people mention cigarette lighter adapters but I have not seen a cigarette light port on the model 3. Does anyone have photos of the interior that shows that this is even an option?

rxlawdude | 16 August, 2017

The term "cigarette lighter" should be banished. The correct term is a 12V outlet, since virtually no new vehicles have ash trays and an actual lighter.

Great, that's for the correct term. Is there a 12V outlet on a model 3? Have not seen a photo showing one yet.

@adias, nope, no one knows. The total blackout of information and NDA that employee purchasers are under make this very much a speculation site, beyond what Tesla has officially released.

Thank you. Appreciate the info @rxlawdude.

csmith476 | 16 August, 2017

Actually we do know, @Adidas: https://www.tesla.com/presskit#model3

TeslaTap.com | 16 August, 2017

And in case you didn't read the press kit - it does include a 12v power connection.

I stand corrected. There it its! Thanks @TT and @csmith for straightening me out. :-)

andy.connor.e | 16 August, 2017

@Shock

You can go out and buy a $250,000 Lamborghini, and you'll be doing the same thing.

The thing to think about, is how much does it cost them to install that for you, vs how much it costs you to buy an inverter with your exact needs?

TeslaTap.com | 16 August, 2017

And you can buy a multi-million dollar Bugatti Veyron and not even get a single USB port. Oh, the pain of it all :)

Rocky_H | 16 August, 2017

And most of those really expensive ones don't even come with back seats. What a ripoff!

And you have to pull into a GAS station every couple hundred miles, and take it to a service station for oil changes every year. I mean, what's up with that?

stevegs | 16 August, 2017

Hopefully the 12V outlet will be located near the USB jacks and covered by the plastic top (holder for the two smartphones.) I plan on attaching a slim wireless charger to the underside of the plastic top with double-stick tape and powering it from one of the USB jacks if it has enough current or the 12V outlet if the USB is only 500ma. If the plastic top is not too thick, it should charge the phone laying on top.

sunnywilsonstore | 20 May, 2020

I found a two-pack on Amazon of those cig lighter adapters that supports full 2A on both sockets simultaneously, and it wasn't much more than most of the regular ones. I highly recommend to look for that.

sunnywilsonstore | 26 May, 2020

You're not getting where the restriction is, though. The 2A supply is actually non-compliant with the USB specification for those kinds of ports. That's why they can't do that. If you want it to be data compliant, to be able to read music from USB flash drives, it can only use up to the 1A spec. For other ports, they can decide they are just for charging and have the higher current but no data reading capability. That's one of the big things that USB-C type of ports are going to be great for, but for now, there are still a pretty small number of devices that support that.??

https://get-mobdro.com https://get-tubemate.in

beboh78811 | 27 May, 2020

I use http://dlketab.ir often for sideloads. It sounds like a great excuse to get a new phone.

bjrosen | 27 May, 2020

It's USB-A in the Model 3 so it's not fast charging, the Y get's USB-C which does support fast charging. I've found the power adequate to slowly charge the phone while it's streaming using a wireless charging pad. If you want fast USB charging you can put a 12V to USB-C adapter in the cigarette light plug inside of the console. They screwed up on the positioning of the 12V plug, there is very little space between the plug and the tray. To deal with this you need to get a low profile USB-C adapter and low profile right angle USB-C cables,I'm using these cables and they fit fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PLYW6R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...