Forums

Musk tweet: All driver info and settings to be moved to the cloud

Musk tweet: All driver info and settings to be moved to the cloud

Here is the direct tweet from Elon Musk himself:
Elon Musk ‏Verified account @elonmusk 30m30 minutes ago
We are going to move all info and settings to the "cloud" (aka server) so any Tesla you drive in the world automatically adjusts to you

This change will affect the Model 3. Sounds really cool!

ReD eXiLe ms us | 20 August, 2017

This makes perfect sense for a 'connected' car.

hoffmannjames | 20 August, 2017

Yes, more pieces of Tesla's ride sharing plan are coming together.

Steam613 | 20 August, 2017

And we add another step towards the Tesla network ride sharing destination.

Chargedmr2 | 20 August, 2017

If (when) Tesla pulls of ride sharing, they are going to explode with opportunities. Amazing that they were on the brink of bankruptcy at the introduction of Model S, and now they seem to be at the brink of becoming the next Apple. Love it!

jordanrichard | 20 August, 2017

Not to rain the parade, but how one has a seat positioned in a MS, may not be the same as it would be in a MX or M3 simply due to different sight lines.

Besides, what identifies you as you.?

Sweetride | 20 August, 2017

JR: we sign into this forum on a Tesla app that identifies us. Perhaps you have a setting for each type of car...one for your S, another for your 3, and a third for your X ... should you be so lucky.

brian | 20 August, 2017

JR and others: I understand what you're saying about the seat positions but it's more than that - radio settings, climate, etc.

Right, but I could care less about radio settings if I can't fit behind the steering wheel........

I suppose one could be "fitted" for each car. Think about it, you take your MS in for service and they have you sit in a MX and or a M3 to set/save your settings for that type of car for future use. Either way this is truely mind boggling.

carlk | 20 August, 2017

This just significantly widened the gap between Tesla and the rest. I wonder how soon any of them could even get a connected car like Tesla out.

carlk | 20 August, 2017

jordan True. And even more than that anyone could have a personal profile without even owning a car. That profile will be applied to any shared car one hails from the TeslaNet. This company is way ahead of others for sure.

Xerogas | 20 August, 2017

If I'm hailing a TeslaNet car, I'm riding in the back like a boss. But sure, my radio favorites would be nice

carlk | 20 August, 2017

If it's driver-less you're boss of no one. Sorry. ;)

brian3x | 20 August, 2017

I think folks are getting way ahead of themselves with this ride sharing and full autonomy, by at least 10 years, long after most of us will be looking or already own the sequel to current models. I for one don’t want to lend out my car to strangers and then deal with whatever damage, etc may incur. Understanding you’ll have a full accounting of who did what, it’s just a huge hassle to deal with in regards to insurance, repair...etc. in addition I believe the ride sharing idea is a GREAT idea for Tesla because we pay for all the infrastructure and they will most likely by a factor of 4 to 1make profit off the service. I think by the time it gets to a reality folks won’t see it as an attractive way to recoup some of our car costs. If you were to break it down, to a per mile profit, I’d be very surprised if it even covered the cost of maintenance over the life of the car and non-warranty expenses, tires, battery replacements, etc. Everyone is speculating, including what I just typed but I just think it’s very premature.

Tarla's Driver | 20 August, 2017

I've wanted this feature for loaner service cars ever since we first bought a Model S. I hope this includes the HomeLink memory, though that may be tricky, as they just embed a separate chip for that, and it's not clear to me whether they have the ability to backup and restore the settings.

Madatgascar | 20 August, 2017

I personally think this would make me less likely to want to drive a Tesla.

I am sick and tired of devices knowing who I am, where I've been, and what I plan to do next. Reminding me how pathetically predictable modern life is. Next there will be targeted advertising creeping into the periph of my touch screen and a fingerprint scanner to pay for stuff on the road. You know that's where this is all headed. It's starting to feel like Skynet.

Cars used to represent the freedom to go anywhere, do anything. Now I can't even enjoy taking my car out on a winding road to "take the long way home" without thinking that my wife might be checking on me via the app. Do I explain that I wanted a half an hour on my own?

Enough already.

Captain_Zap | 20 August, 2017

+1 Madatgascar

carlk | 20 August, 2017

@brian3x

That maybe what you thjnk but for auto and ride hailing companies it's the matter of life and death to them. Travis Kalanick has said many times when he was still CEO of Uber that if his company is not among the first to have self driving cars the whole business is going to go down the drain. The fact is cost of transportation will be way down from what we know today whether if it's from ten or more people sharing a car on the network or just family members sharing one car so they don't have to buy an extra for each. Any company can set a ten year plan but these companies will not reach the 10 year mark if the other company did it in five. Some companies might not know the severity of this but I would think most already know. It's not just trying to be fashionable that those companies are jumping on the train.

carlk | 20 August, 2017

Madatgascar, Captain_Zap

You don't think wherever you are and what you're doing either in a car or not is not already known by many?

Frank99 | 20 August, 2017

Do you carry your cell phone with you on that long and winding road?

If you have a smartphone, it's the biggest single advance in mass surveillance ever conceived.

carlk | 20 August, 2017

Frank99 Yes not to mention the search engines you use, your Echo, your Nest, your Ring or any of "connected" device you have. Or smart cameras installed everywhere you don't even aware of. It's too late already if that concerns anyone but I have no problem with it. I don't think anyone, even my wife, is that interested in what I do. That's the bummer.

Tropopause | 20 August, 2017

"This change will affect the Model 3"

@Frank99

No I don't.

@carlk

Those things are not allowed in our house. We try to use proxy search engines whenever possible too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/14/donald-trump-inauguration-...

It is just the beginning.

Haggy | 21 August, 2017

This sounds good but what happens when I go camping in the woods and want to change drivers? I would hope that the car still keeps setting locally even if they are backed up in the cloud for use in other cars.

johnse | 21 August, 2017

I think TeslaNet will happen before FSD. *That* is the big deal with this announcement along with software control of glove compartment, trunk, etc.

Think of the Car2go type car sharing systems crossed with Uber/Lyft. Need to be driven somewhere? A Driver (not necessarily an owner) grabs an available car and does the ride. Want to drive yourself (whether or not you own a car)? Reserve one and your phone will give you access to a selected car. No car near you? Another driver drops one off. Car needs charging at one of the urban Superchargers? Get paid to take the car there, at which point you switch to a fully charged car to continue your trip.

hmgolds | 21 August, 2017

I'm trying to think what will happen when the data gets hacked. And, if it's valuable enough, it will.

topher | 21 August, 2017

" I would hope that the car still keeps setting locally even if they are backed up in the cloud for use in other cars."

C'mon Haggy, you know better than that. It is currently resident in local storage. Tesla is going to make problems for themselves by REMOVING it (to the cloud)? Of course not.

Thank you kindly.

topher | 21 August, 2017

"I'm trying to think what will happen when the data gets hacked. And, if it's valuable enough, it will."

How is it valuable at all?

But, let's look at data flow. When you are in your car, you adjust the seat location; that gets saved to your profile (on the car); a copy gets made to the cloud; when you get in a different Tesla, the cloud downloads your seating preference to that Tesla; It adjusts your seat. (If you don't like it, you can fix it, which presumably gets sent to the cloud with a flag that it is for _this_ Tesla). If your personal Tesla ever loses its copy of your preferences, it can download a copy from the cloud, but otherwise doesn't bother.

As a hacker, what would you do to extract value from that data flow. Deleting the data just adds a tiny inconvenience when you are using another Tesla (an inconvenience that *everyone* currently endures without even realizing there is an alternative.) Changing the data, might allow the hacker to move the seat far forward, requiring the user to adjust the seat manually (oh, the horror).

Seriously folks, go worry about Global Climate Change, AI Apocalypse, Nuclear War, Topsoil Erosion, Collapse of Species Diversity, Yellowstone Supervolcano, or the return of disco.

Thank you kindly.

TeslaTap.com | 21 August, 2017

@topher +1 - Best laugh of the day too!

Oh, and I suggested this feature back in 2013: https://teslatap.com/questions/saverestore-all-settings/

which got quite a few votes!

TheChad | 21 August, 2017

Will it be able to remember S3XY mode? Seats all the way back, steering wheel up, custom cabin temp, and a set playlist!

dsvick | 21 August, 2017

"Changing the data, might allow the hacker to move the seat far forward, requiring the user to adjust the seat manually "

I can see some infantile hacker hiding in the bushes watching people get into the car where the setting have been manipulated and giggling madly as the unsuspecting victim mashes there knees into the steering wheel.

Carl Thompson | 21 August, 2017

@dsvick:
"I can see some infantile hacker hiding in the bushes watching people get into the car where the setting have been manipulated and giggling madly as the unsuspecting victim mashes there knees into the steering wheel."

Would be much worse if the hacker did it while the car was moving. But people are jumping the gun worrying about stuff that has very little chance of happening.

Carl

dsvick | 21 August, 2017

"Would be much worse if the hacker did it while the car was moving. "

True, but I'm going on the assumption that the car will only adjust to the drivers profile when the driver initially gets in or as they approach and not do it in the middle of the drive.

Garyeop | 21 August, 2017

Hacking will happen. Anything possible will happen. The hack i expect is:

Thousands of Teslas going 5 miles per hour nation wide to protest...something. Two months later they will find the 16 year old in her basement and Tesla will hire her.

As for value of the data...do you want everyone to know everywhere you have driven? Could you be blackmailed? Could someone figure out you are taking your company public? Would your company find out that you are interviewing?

I mean, it is no worse than cell phone privacy invasion. I am sure information your cell phone keeps about you is hacked just as often. So...no worse off. Just a second copy of mainly the same information that needs to 100% predict how others will try to break in and always prevent them. Oh, and also trust that no one who actually has access will ever misuse the info.

You have the right to keep and bear arms. Arms were the way groups were motivated and controled. Today you are motivated and controlled by your information. Shouldn't you have acces and control of your information.

Oops...my soap box got unleashed.

dsvick | 21 August, 2017

"do you want everyone to know everywhere you have driven? Could you be blackmailed? Could someone figure out you are taking your company public? Would your company find out that you are interviewing?"

We're only talking about the profile data such as seat position, mirror angles, and things like that. While I'm sure the rest of that is stored somewhere I would hope it isn't in the cloud and, if it is, it has been anonymized.

LostInTx | 21 August, 2017

Unless Tesla designs its own cloud server environment, they'll have to get in bed with either Microsoft Azure or Amazon's AWS. Perhaps there are a few smaller players in that game. An array of redundantly hosted servers for the number and mobility of Tesla drivers is bound to be an expensive undertaking. How those costs will be absorbed may prove interesting.

@dsvick
My understanding is that Model 3 owner driving recorded by the car will be used to train the AI.

On a side note about EM being right again...
7/31/2017 on Forbes
"Facebook shut down an artificial intelligence engine after developers discovered that the AI had created its own unique language that humans can’t understand."

cascadiadesign | 21 August, 2017

Reminds me of when my 16 year old "borrowed" my car without permission. The seat position gave him away.

Frank99 | 21 August, 2017

LostInTx -
How much traffic do you think this will actually generate? As a wild guess, I'd say that (at least initially) 99% of the time someone gets in a car, the car will already have their data and won't need to contact the cloud. Even in a full Tesla Network environment of a million cars and 5 million riders, if you assume a rider takes four trips a day that's only 20 million requests a day, or 231 per second. My laptop should be able to handle that, a dedicated server with and 8-core CPU, oodles of RAM and fast disks would barely be above idle.

That said, they might contract with AWS or Azure to create distributed instances to minimize latency but it surely wouldn't be a lock-in, and it likely wouldn't be very expensive.

While I have confidence in Tesla's security - it seems 98% of kids and most adults publish everything they do and think on facebook every day. No need to hack anything - it's already public with photos, videos, timelines, locations and more!

Captain_Zap | 21 August, 2017

@TT

Count me in the 2% that knows better.

eeb9 | 21 August, 2017

If one uses most any "modern" technology, you've already given up your privacy to a certain extent simply as the price of entry.

Hint- if a for-profit company provides a service that is "free" for you to use, the actual product ithey sell s *You*. Or, more specifically, data *about* you. Tech companies make serious coin selling your data to 3rd parties.

It takes work, attention to detail and a willingness to be inconvenienced to keep your privacy private. Even then, it doesn't always work.

Tesla putting driver data in the Cloud doesn't necessarily add to the privacy risks we all face already, assuming they make good use of the security tools available to them. The risk of accidental disclosure is not (and can never be) zero, but that risk is part of the price you'll have to pay to own a Tesla. I'm glad that they disclosed what they're doing, and I hope that they don't decide at some point to sell the data they collect to any 3rd party without our consent - but providing them with painfully-detailed data about our lives and habits is just part of the cost of owning a Tesla.

Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice...

dsvick | 22 August, 2017

@Garyeop
That's true for the driving data, but we're talking about the driver preferences here like the seat and mirror position. I would hope that actual driving data, when uploaded to Tesla, would be anonymized so you can't tell who it is from.

Haggy | 22 August, 2017

"C'mon Haggy, you know better than that. It is currently resident in local storage. Tesla is going to make problems for themselves by REMOVING it (to the cloud)? Of course not."

He did say move, as opposed to copy, and they're not the same thing. Perhaps he used to be a COBOL programmer and doesn't know any better but I doubt it.

georgehawley.fl.us | 22 August, 2017

I sent this feature to Tesla almost three years ago. I guess the time wasn't right.