Forums

HELP CPO 60 with autopilot or 85 without autopilot

HELP CPO 60 with autopilot or 85 without autopilot

dj-tesla | 17 February, 2018

btw, i drive 65 miles /day.

Haggy | 17 February, 2018

The only possible difference it might make is on long trips. What year is the 60? I'd probably go with the 60, especially if it's a range limited larger battery. But it comes down to details.

there is 2014 and 2015 s60 for few hundred dollars difference.

tcandmm | 17 February, 2018

I have a 2015 S60 with AP1, you got to have AP to fully enjoy the car and keep you sane in stop-and-go traffic. After a while you won't care about the electric motor size since S60 still accelerates fast than most cars and based on your daily mileage, S60 is a no brainer.

Bighorn | 17 February, 2018

If you're inclined to road trip and don't mind driving, the 85. If it's mainly a commuter with stop and go traffic jams, the 60. For me the 85 is a no-brainer--totally dependent on your circumstances.

my daily drive is mostly freeway for 30 miles one way but (LA traffic freeway stop and go).

CEYA GAS | 17 February, 2018

I have a 2014 85 with AP1. Given your two choices, I’d go with the car with autopilot. Having it for the same price (albeit with a smaller battery) is a no brainer, if the cars are in equal condition...

dj-tesla | 18 February, 2018

thanks

Mathew98 | 18 February, 2018

I have a classic S60 with no AP in park and slow traffic in NYC. I've driven from NYC to FL several times using the Supercharging network.

What issues do you anticipate? CA has the most SC in any state, so any version would work.

dj-tesla | 21 February, 2018

is AP is a deal breaker?

CraigW | 21 February, 2018

I have driven an S60 across the country in 2014, when there were many fewer superchargers. You are not limited in where you can go.

Bighorn lives in Wyoming and really requires an S85 for practical driving - he does more than almost any Tesla driver. At his mileage and location, I would require an S85 or bigger also. In California - where I live - you really don't need anything more than an S60.

P.S. Yes, I like the bigger batteries, but I don't require them. I do require AP1 or EAP, however.

dj-tesla | 24 February, 2018

thank you CraigW. I will hunt for a 6) with AP

justin.rogers77 | 24 February, 2018

With AP!!! Love my Teslas but would not have bought without AP.

spineeric | 25 February, 2018

I live in California. At the time I was looking for a Model S, I think Tesla had the 60, 60D, 75, 75D, 90, 90D and P90D in their line up. I bought the 75D after the forum folks recommended the largest capacity you can afford. Smart group!

Knowing now what I didn’t know then….I would have bought the 60D and later upgraded to the 75D since it was a software upgrade. I think it used to be $5000, then reduced to $2000 and may be even less now. I don’t remember. That’s how quickly Tesla changes. If the 60 you’re looking at is a software limited 75, also ask your sales person if it can be upgraded later and if it can be uncorked (free).

Your daily commute will be fine with the 60 and, yes, CA has a lot of supercharges with more popping up. I don’t know where you live, but I use the Manteca supercharger mostly, and in one year that has grown from 8 to 20 charging stations. I have never had to wait there to charge.

Autopilot would be a deal breaker for me. Again, that is an individual choice, but once you have it you will not want another vehicle with out it.

Anthony J. Parisio | 25 February, 2018

This is a no brainer for me. The better equipped. smaller battery is my choice.

dj-tesla | 25 February, 2018

@soineeric- thank you buddy for the tips.

SUN 2 DRV | 26 February, 2018

I have a 2013 S85, and don't have a craving for AP.

Even a 60 can make it from SC to the next SC. But a larger battery becomes very important when you want to go off the SC highway. Unless you want to find a place to charge over night, you'll want to have sufficient range to get to your destination, probably drive around a bit, and then still have sufficient range to get BACK to a SC.

And don't forget about the spur-of the-moment trip to go pick someone up at the airport etc.

Everyone has their individual priorities and for me I'd go with the 85...

Rocky_H | 26 February, 2018

I live in a part of the country where Superchargers are pretty far apart, or non-existent (OR, ID, NV intersection, ahem), and 80mph interstate speed limits, so I would also go with the 85kWh battery without autopilot. Autopilot is apparently great in bumper to bumper commute traffic, which I never have to deal with, or on long traveling trips, which I don't do too often, so I don't miss it.

Sam_S | 26 February, 2018

Easy choice. Get AP! I use it everytime I'm on the freeway.

dano | 26 February, 2018

If you like driving, AP is far from a deal breaker. My opinion is it creates lazy drivers. OTOH, it is the wave of the future, and I would probably activate my AP1 if it were offered for 1/6 of the current price.

Haggy | 27 February, 2018

" You are not limited in where you can go."

North Dakota won't be easy. Neither will Alaska. But nobody in Alaska expects it to be easy.

trevor58 | 27 February, 2018

As a veteran of five winters (not Bighorn winters, mind you), I would add that I’m glad that I have an 85 when the cold temperatures eat through the miles much faster than the summertime.

dhealy6340 | 27 February, 2018

no cruise control = deal breaker
I had a loaner without autopilot for a weekend trip.
The car made no engine noise which would have helped me maintain a desired speed
therefore I had to be constantly watching the speed

Rocky_H | 28 February, 2018

?
@dhealy6340, There is no Tesla car that doesn't have any kind of cruise control. What are you talking about?

dhealy6340 | 28 February, 2018

Rocky_H I had a Model S service loaner that didn't have auto pilot as described before.

Rocky_H | 28 February, 2018

@dhealy6340, But not having autopilot is NOT the same as not having cruise control, which you erroneously claimed.

SbMD | 28 February, 2018

@rocky +1

@dhealey - how could you have a service loaner for a Model S and claim that a lack of engine noise in the loaner made it hard in this car to maintain your speed? If you a Model S owner, you would not be relying on engine noise anyway, let alone feel that the service loaner kept you from using that type of auditory feedback.

Translated- @dhealey, you are not an owner.

I fail to understand why people pretend to be owners here...

b8schris | 28 February, 2018

I just had this same conversation with people on facebook 2 weeks ago.. everyone said.. get the bigger battery. so I decided to wait and the Sales Adviser found a p85 with AP1 and I bought it in 5 minutes.

dj-tesla | 1 March, 2018

@b8schris how much did you pay if you dont mind si I have an idea/ thank you