Forums

Disappointed in Tesla customer service

Disappointed in Tesla customer service

We bough a Tesla S less than a month ago and the voice command no longer works. Everything on the steering wheel basically stopped working (like the volume dials and honk). Fine. Then we were told to go to Tesla service center for them to take a look. Arrived there and they told me to leave the car and have no loaners... will give me a Nissan maxima. First, I did not expect to have to leave my car there and am still in the honeymoon stage of driving my new Tesla. I think its understandable I am not going to exchange it for a maxima. I told them to please reschedule me when they have a loaner. The person rudely replied "there is no guarantee no matter which day you come"....... I left. So I tried another service center, and the day before my service, they text me to say there is no loaner and they can schedule "Uber". Oh my.......I am suppose to leave my car there for unknown time and "uber" everyday?? Well at least they let me know in advance there is no loaner. I cancelled and rescheduled for a service center much further away and again they said "There is no guarantee of loaner cars......" I have to drive 60 miles there and nervous they do not have a loaner car!! One, I did not expect a brand new car to need fixing and two why aren't they providing a guaranteed loaner car? Afterall, I in good faith bought the car and expect it to work like a new car. But now I have to take time off work and send in the car, not knowing when I will have it back and possibly no loaner ???? I am sorry to vent but I am really disappointed and stressed out about going to the service center.

Mathew98 | 20 April, 2018

If you don't mind scheduling 3+ weeks in advance for service and reserve a Tesla loaner then it would be possible. Any emergency service request is subjected to Uber or ICE loaner.

Have you tried all three reset methods?

- Press both scroll wheels for 5 seconds.
- Press both buttons above scroll wheels until it restarts.
- Go to MCU -> Settings -> Turn off car.

GHammer | 20 April, 2018

Wait...So your not willing to let them fix your car just because they wont give you a Tesla as a loaner? No that's not understandable, that's just being a whiny...

redacted | 20 April, 2018

I guess I don't expect them to provide a Tesla loaner, but it's nice when they do.

Advice is to get the first appointment in the morning. That's likeliest to have loaners available.

Please try @Mathew98 (with a T. Just one T)'s reset methods. They're likely to fix your problems. Didn't you learn that from Windows 95?

jerrykham | 20 April, 2018

Yeah, I'm really not sure what's up with not wanting to leave the car for repairs. A loaner is just something to get you around. Heck, when we took my daughter's Honda in we didn't demand a nice new Honda loaner. Just something to get her around for a few days. Would it be nice to get a Tesla loaner? Absolutely. But required? No.

tes-s | 20 April, 2018

I wouldn't want to leave my car without getting a Tesla loaner.

+1 on the resets.
+1 on arriving first in the morning.

SUN 2 DRV | 20 April, 2018

OP: I think you have one extra word on the end of your thread title...

Don Schmidt | 20 April, 2018

The Nissan Maxima is a pretty fine automobile; a better ride than most substitute rides. But, you'll show-um.

Don
Vancouver, WA
My crumbs are biscuits!

Haggy | 20 April, 2018

First of all, a Maxima is a loaner. They will give you a Tesla if they have one, but the backlog for the car is so long these days that they don't want to make a customer wait so that you can have a Model S for a day. I assure you that it's nothing personal and the service staff are as frustrated as you are, but they simply don't have the cars. Also they can't hold one when another customer shows up and they have one available. If you had to wait another few weeks to get your car so the service center could have more loaners, you wouldn't have appreciated the wait either.

Typically you will get your car back the next day, but if not, and you have an Enterprise loaner, then tell Enterprise that you'd like to do a swap out when a Tesla becomes available. If you don't want a Maxima, find out what else they have.

eztider | 20 April, 2018

I've had mixed experiences with SC loaners....once I got a Model X, once I got a BMW 3 series, twice an Uber back home with delivery by the SC after the service (same day). I've had an experience where I scheduled a service, was told I would have a loaner, then found when I got there that they didn't have the promised loaner. It all worked out in the end.

One scheduler told me some owners of older Teslas sit on a minor service item until they have a vacation coming up, then take the newer loaner on vacation, making it unavailable to other customers. I know no one on this forum would do that but I wouldn't put it past other owners to take advantage of the program.

minsy1010 | 20 April, 2018

1) We tried the reset methods. Didn't work.
2) I am willing to wait more than 3 weeks for comparable loaner (not Tesla is fine) but no one offer me that option
3) I am not going in for regular service. The car Tesla sold me is not working after 2 weeks. I feel it is reasonable
they offer a comparable loaner.
4) Agreed Nissan maxima is a great car. Please don't take it to another realm. This is not about Nissan maxima

It is what it is. I bought this car, love driving it and probably why I resist parting with it. Will somehow get this over with SOON.

Mathew98 | 20 April, 2018

Have you tried asking *nicely* for a loaner and stated that you were willing to wait a few week?

It never failed me in the last 5 years.

lilbean | 20 April, 2018

That works for me too!

SO | 20 April, 2018

I have read on here where people have been reimbursed for gas for their loaner. That may help take the sting out a little bit.

sr.smr | 20 April, 2018

I understand you want everything to be perfect right after buying a brand new car, but getting a quick appointment with any loaner just to get your new car back is the way to go. I always ask prior to scheduling an appointment (at the nearest service center) to reserve a loaner. I've had old and new Tesla's and a Mercedes. You may also want to ask the services of a Ranger if feasible.

SbMD | 20 April, 2018

@minsy - No doubt it is annoying that you have an issue with your new car. However, it is against the law to be driving without a horn, and unsafe. Take the loaner.

FWIW, a little kindness and grace in the face of an unfortunate situation with your car will garner sympathy for the inconvenience, and often lead to getting some favors from the Service Center team in return.

NKYTA | 20 April, 2018

@redacted, LOL.

Out my nose, no keyboard in sight.

iPad needs some clean up tho. ;-)

OP, chill a bit, in my experience whiners don’t get what they want. What makes you special?

NKYTA | 20 April, 2018

Or what the doc said. ;-)

vpoz | 20 April, 2018

@minsy1010 I have a lot of sympathy for your situation. It’s exceedingly irritating to have a brand new car that you expect to have no problems at all needing to go in for repair. I’ve just got a new model leaf that had its lane keeping radar fail on the drive home, I was offered an ICE while they had my car in to try to sort the problem, with a little “encouragement” they changed that to a leaf. Now I have my car back while I wait for a Tesla like “soon” replacement radar unit to be delivered to the dealer.
Not unreasonable to be 1st in line for a Tesla loaner from your original delivery location, since your car shouldn’t have any faults needing sorting in the 1st place.

NKYTA | 20 April, 2018

The car was drivable, no?

I cut my SvC a bunch of slack for annuals an nit-picky repairs. Whenever they are ready for me.

On the aft end, on road trips, I get expedited service for windshield cracks and other road-trip ending problems fixed forthwith. Tesla excels above and beyond.

And I’m not saying you should not get what you bought, or that it shouldn’t be fixed in a timely fashion.

Just that sentence structure an a modicum of patience might apply.

This is probably going to get worse before it gets better with the Model 3 roll out.

avesraggiana | 21 April, 2018

Cut them some slack. It’s not as as if you had to negotiate with salesmen in cheap polyster suits, or fend off attacks from the girl in F&I (Financing and Insurance), to buy your brand new car. Nor will have to deal with double talk and the wool being pulled over your eyes when you bring your car back for service.

There’s just no pleasing some people.

TeslaTap.com | 21 April, 2018

Sorry to say, I suppose the OP should sell the Tesla as it is seems like he will never be satisfied with service or his car. Not sure any dealer will be better than Tesla, but many will be far worse.

Silver2K | 21 April, 2018

Mathew's scroll wheel reboot would not work because his volume wheel is not working, but shutting off the car and walking away for 2 minutes may work.

Just take any loaner they offer and get the car fixed. What's the point in being stubborn? Sheeeesh

SUN 2 DRV | 21 April, 2018

Silver +1

Exactly. Get the car fixed ASAP and put all of this behind you...

Mathew98 | 21 April, 2018

My reboot method usually require a strong clap on either side of one's head, preferably landing on the ears.

Tesla-David | 21 April, 2018

@minsy1010 , kindly post what service center you are talking about when posting complaint about the quality of service. I live in Edmonds, WA, and take our MS & M3 to the Seattle Service Center, which gets an A++++ in my opinion for the truly exceptional service I have received over last 5+ years. My experience does not even remotely resemble what you are describing, and if it is true, needs to be addressed and corrected. Tesla truly cares about providing excellent service. Over last 5+ years I have always been able to get Tesla loaner when dropping my car off for service. Recently I had my MS worked on in our garage by Tesla Mobile Service Technician, who came out and replaced a 12V battery.

@minsy1010 , kindly post what service center you are talking about when posting complaint about the quality of service. I live in Edmonds, WA, and take our MS & M3 to the Seattle Service Center, which gets an A++++ in my opinion for the truly exceptional service I have received over last 5+ years. My experience does not even remotely resemble what you are describing, and if it is true, needs to be addressed and corrected. Tesla truly cares about providing excellent service. Over last 5+ years I have always been able to get Tesla loaner when dropping my car off for service. Recently I had my MS worked on in our garage by Tesla Mobile Service Technician, who came out and replaced a 12V battery.

I apologize for multiple posts, something happened when I hit the save button.

sentabo | 21 April, 2018

I agree, if one complains about a SvcC they should post which one they dealt with. That way, others can chime in with their experienced with that SvcC, and we can tell if there is a problem there or if it is an aberration. I suspect most often it will be the latter.

I have used the Burlingame (CA) SvcC exclusively and have had nothing but positive experiences, barring a couple of very minor issues not worth complaining about.

sentabo | 21 April, 2018

I agree, if one complains about a SvcC they should post which one they dealt with. That way, others can chime in with their experienced with that SvcC, and we can tell if there is a problem there or if it is an aberration. I suspect most often it will be the latter.

I have used the Burlingame (CA) SvcC exclusively and have had nothing but positive experiences, barring a couple of very minor issues not worth complaining about.

sentabo | 21 April, 2018

Damn, my first double post. I only hit the save button once. Honest.

@sentabo, I only hit the save button once also, but got multiple posts! ;0)

Stiction | 21 April, 2018

I live in Palo Alto and have never gotten a Tesla loaner.
Once they called me an Uber to get to work and then they dropped my car off at work later once it was fixed.
Usually they give me an ICE and I drive it. Makes the heart grow fonder for the Tesla as you say, so what's so
bad about that?

Uncle Paul | 21 April, 2018

Tesla's loaner policy seems pretty fair. If they have a Tesla loaner available, they will offer it. If not, they will use an onsite rental car company, provide the best car they have, and reimburse you for any gas you need to purchase. If they have no rental vehicles they will offer to pay for Uber service to get you home or to work and back if it is reasonable.

No manufacturer that I know of offers a like kind courtesy rental. Best is BMW who have a fleet of small BMW sedans, but they also have Enterprise rentals to fall back on when they are out of those. Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Jaguar, and all the others are the same. They might have a few courtesy vehicles, but when those are gone they simply provide a rental. Some only offer the service as a amenity, however you need to pay for a rental on your own.
Mercedes might provide you with a Mercedes loaner if one is available, but if you bring in a $120,000 S Class, you most likely will be given a $40,000 C Class as a loaner.

As others have said, the purpose of a courtesy rental vehicle is to get you around while your car is in service, not to provide you with a premium driving experience.

sentabo | 21 April, 2018

Exactly, Uncle Paul. Sometimes the sense of entitlement is a bit much.

baronalan | 1 July, 2019

I’ve had to deal with roadside assistance and service 2x for my 2016 Model S. Very dissatisfied in the long wait time for roadside assistance; 20 plus minutes just to get to a representative. And poor communication at the service center. I’ve had such better experiences with other cars I’ve owned, particularly Lexus. So much so that when I pick up my car today I’m considering trading it in for a brand I trust to manage service issues well.

TeslaTap.com | 1 July, 2019

@baronalan - If it's a concern - rather than suffer a cummy alternative car, why not just get a AAA membership. Something like $45/year. Don't know if they are any better than Tesla in your area, but worth considering.

lilbean | 1 July, 2019

Ford gives much better loaners right?

Mathew98 | 1 July, 2019

The Flintones never had issues with their ride. Get that reliable brand instead. It would be the best trade in deal ever!!!

ian | 30 December, 2019

Anyone else noticed the horrendours decline in customer service, when trying to resolve any repairs or service issues, after Tesla stopped taking taking appointments by phone...in fact they virtually take no phone calls apart from sales now?

Awful text messaging with long delays between texts and a National phone system that leaves you waiting for 1 poor Tesla employee who is fed up of listening to complaints from irate customers who cannot get things resolved.

It has taken 6 weeks to book my mobile engineer for a battery replacement and after waiting for 3 hours, the engineer didn;t arrive...apparently he's on holiday!