Submitted by Iowa92x on August 1, 2014
Visiting San Fran, so bit at the chance to rent a Model S 85 (non Performance) via Getaround.com. We rolled north out of the city into Muir woods to sniff 1,000 year old Red Woods. First impressions:
- Crazy torque at all speeds, was surprising punching it at 50 mph was that responsive.
- Speaking of responsive, the touchscreen is not. Is it normal for it to take multiple seconds for the screen to respond to commands?
- Weird sight lines, the strafes of steel curving on the hood towards the front center threw me off and no clue where the wheels are when parking.
- Seats are okay but did Kia source them?
- The single pedal accel/regen driving is excellent! Really loved it and only used the skids a few times.
- Realtime energy usage helps optimize driving efficiency.
- Wide load, felt like I was eating up the entire lane of these skinny San streets
- Electric experience is far superior to ICE driving, no contest. The lack of noise and vibration, coupled with hydraulic smooth power delivery kept me smiling.
I'll test drive the X in 2015, right now the cost/product of the S doesn't work yet for me. Gen 3 will do well if the driving experience is 80% of the S.