Forums

Two cars on same key card?

Two cars on same key card?

For those of you who also have two or more Model 3’s; were you able to have Tesla program the same key card to work on multiple cars?

TexasBob | July 1, 2018

We did not ask but it is a good idea. The Phone app works incredibly well for us and it is terrific for managing two model 3s. Whichever vehicle you are using last will be running in the background. So normal process is that my phone opens my car and my wife's phone opens hers. But if I ever need to get into her car and drive it I just pull up the app and swipe left. I carry the physical key card for my car and she carries the physical keycard for hers. We have the extras in a safe place in case we need them. If you find out a way to use a single keycard as a backup for more than one vehicle post something here! Would be nice to have a multi vehicle master key besides for the phone.

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

Seems like I have to setup a service appointment to find out. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

ReD eXiLe ms us | July 2, 2018

Tuning In: You can certainly ask... It seems like a potential security issue, though. If one keycard can be used with multiple cars, that means one could be programmed to open and operate any car. Imagine a ring of car thieves in possession of such a 'skeleton key' type keycard for Model 3 vehicles. Bad news.

Remember, anything that makes life easier and more convenient for Customers does the same for Criminals.

lilbean | July 2, 2018

+100 ReD

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

@ReD eXiLe ms us

I disagree. Each card shows up in the car's profile. Plus someone would have to take each car to the service center to be added to that same car. Having the ability to program one card to two cards is no more of a security risk than being able to program two cars to one phone.

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

*Plus someone would have to take each car to the service center to be added to that same CARD..

RedPillSucks | July 2, 2018

Cars with key fobs can have them programmatically added. I don't see why there would be an issue with having the same fob programmed to two different cars. It should be the same thing with the key cards.

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

@RedPillSucks Yes. Keycards are just an RFID card. It shows up in the car’s setup screen. The car needs to recognize its ID. In order to have it added, a Tesla service center needs to the card’s ID to your car and they do it in person.

I don’t get what the whole thing about a security threat and skeleton key is all about. Someone would have to bring in every car to a sevice center to have it added to that one card and a mysterious card would be listed among your phone and your legitimate cards.

afrandx | July 2, 2018

How far can you get stealing a car that is loaded with cameras and is highly trackable? I hope if there is ever a mass M3 heist, Tesla just remotely "summons" all the cars back, that would be hilarious.

aahfp | July 2, 2018

How can someone to get a key card to replace the lost one

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

@aahfp Visit your nearest Tesla service center.

ReD eXiLe ms us | July 2, 2018

No matter how robust, every security system is eventually cracked, given proper motivation. That's why there have been about five different designs for the twenty dollar bill in the past twenty-five years. Someone will eventually come up with a means to spoof the keycard or phone with something else that is NFC capable.

There is not yet much market for spare parts on a Tesla product yet, so people aren't like to steal them for chop shops yet. And Tesla cars will soon be plentiful and ubiquitous, so there is no truly 'limited market' for anyone that wants a unique car. So chances are someone with a 'Mr. Burglar' device would just use it to 'borrow' a Tesla without permission... for a joyride.

The more means there are to store your 'key', the more ways there are to decode and intercept its transmission. Once someone learns one of them, it won't be long before they figure out more. And, unless the system literally changes the code every time you interact with it, chances are it will be broken that much sooner. Of course, I could be wrong.

Rots-O-Ruck, Raggy!

Tuning In | July 2, 2018

If that's the case, whether or not you can assign a card to two cars is inconsequential. There are much bigger vulnerabilities out there.

JAD | July 2, 2018

And standard FOB were hacked long ago. Nothing new here, so they should be able to assign 2 cars to a key from what I know of the system (not much technically). Please post if someone learns for sure.