Forums

Is there a reason to keep the reservation?

Is there a reason to keep the reservation?

Isn't it better to cancel the reservation and just order from scratch?

Magic 8 Ball | July 18, 2018

Outlook Good

lilbean | July 18, 2018

No

Xerogas | July 18, 2018

@qi when you say "better", I cannot imagine what advantage you think this confers. It puts you at the back of the line, and requires you to front up $2500, so I guess if you're going for "Make we wait longer, and take more of my money now", then sure, it's "better"

Xerogas | July 18, 2018

we = me

djharrington | July 18, 2018

Depends on when you would order. If you ordered now, it’s possible you’ll have your car before the reservation would be refunded (given that some folks report many months before seeing the refund). Depends on what you’re ordering.

qi | July 18, 2018

There is no queue is there?

The purchase contract outlines that if something unexpected happens, Tesla keeps either $2500 or $3500 of the monies. $3500 when a reservation was made. The monies are not a deposit or down payment, they are a processing fee.

There are some folk who ordered from scratch and received their RWDs before those who reserved early 2016 received RWDs, so I imagine that is the new order of battle.

There is no queue is there?

greg | July 18, 2018

I presume you want the SR as you can configure and order a LR model 3 anytime now.

re the SR the answer is you can't order one of those right now.

Those who have reservations and who are quick to configure their SR when invited or advised they can do so will be better off than everyone else who has no such reservation.

Mark my words.

Disappointed Id... | July 18, 2018

@qi - "The monies are not a deposit or down payment, they are a processing fee."

I'm not sure where you got this piece of information from, but it is inaccurate. When I took delivery in June, both the $1,000 reservation deposit (refundable until configuration is completed) and the $2,500 down payment were applied directly to the cost of the car as a down payment.

There is no "processing" fee, aside from the Document/Destination fee that you will pay pretty much any new car purchase.

Revelate | July 18, 2018

I don’t think the last few weeks were representative of Tesla’s long term strategy.

They held back M3 deliveries in June to extend the tax credit to more Americans and now they are delivering that stock to as many people as possible.

I have no doubt reservation time still means something and probably will be critical later... but the fact is the sooner you configure the sooner your place in the manufacturing queue is reserved and therefore the faster you will get your vehicle.

The public backlash over the market appeasing tactics will likely mandate their changing after Q3, but for all sorts of reasons they need to absolutely kill this quarter.

I do feel badly for people that have been waiting a while, but ultimately Tesla is a business and one that needs money sooner rather than later and as such they have been optimizing on that rather than reservation date during this short period. Once the stock is gone, we will probably see a more rational delivery timeline for everyone.

My guess anyway.

skitlo | July 18, 2018

The only benefit I see is that your $2.5k down payment becomes refundable.

qi | July 18, 2018

"Disappointed Id... | July 18, 2018
@qi - "The monies are not a deposit or down payment, they are a processing fee."

I'm not sure where you got this piece of information from, but it is inaccurate. When I took delivery in June, both the $1,000 reservation deposit (refundable until configuration is completed) and the $2,500 down payment were applied directly to the cost of the car as a down payment."

Please read your Tesla Model 3 purchase contract CAREFULLY. Then rejoin the discussion. Thanks.

qi | July 18, 2018

"greg | July 18, 2018
I presume you want the SR as you can configure and order a LR model 3 anytime now.

re the SR the answer is you can't order one of those right now.

Those who have reservations and who are quick to configure their SR when invited or advised they can do so will be better off than everyone else who has no such reservation.

Mark my words."

No, I'm not waiting for a Standard Range Model 3.
Nowhere does it promise a delivery date maximum for the Model 3 Long Range, Model 3 AWD, Model P3D.

Once you pay your deposit it is surrendered permanently, including any other monies (reservation). There is nothing in the Contract, unless you are in New York, that says Tesla must deliver you a car per their delivery schedule. ie - If I order a P3D and it does not arrive before Dec 31, I have no legal recourse other than to go to court to get the contract invalidated.

qi | July 18, 2018

"Revelate | July 18, 2018

I have no doubt reservation time still means something and probably will be critical later... "

I do have doubts. My first Estimate was Nov-Jan. My second Estimate was Feb-Apr. My third Estimate was May-July. I never received an Invite based on my Reservation. It went directly to Free-For-All-Mode while I gone 2 days on business. My Estimated Delivery last I checked was as short as ~1 to ~3 months. This is outside the Third Estimate, but does include a (~) tilde, which means, "I dunno, maybe?".

If I trust Tesla Energy scheduling estimates, would that be rather silly given the circumstances, and those other buyers who already received Model 3's without any reservation?

@qi I agree 100% with Revelate. You will have to decide for yourself how important getting a car sooner vs later is to you. Keeping your money in gives you a chance that you will get it sooner. Taking out and getting back in later will most certainly result in getting it later. As more of these get out in the public eye IMO the line will start getting longer before capacity can keep up with demand.

qi | July 18, 2018

In the grand scheme of things, what is 1-3 months after 27+ months?

The worry is what if they don't produce my P3D before Dec 31? Wouldn't I be safer waiting until they have inventory units?

gballant4570 | July 18, 2018

The actual answer to the OP is - if you want to continue to leave your $1000 toward the price of your M3, keep the reservation. If you don't, ask for a refund. How could the OP not figure that out? It should be patently obvious, to even the casual observer.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

I have a feeling reservation is useless by now, once those flood (or more like a ripple) gates were open, the delivery priority would be when you placed your order, not based on having a reservation. May be it is a good thing after all, you do not have to be on hook for $1000. Could use it for something else.

qi | July 18, 2018

"gballant4570 | July 18, 2018
The actual answer to the OP is - if you want to continue to leave your $1000 toward the price of your M3, keep the reservation. If you don't, ask for a refund. How could the OP not figure that out? It should be patently obvious, to even the casual observer."

Not only did I read the website, the contract, and the refund page, I also studied spreadsheets and new owner delivery schedule reports. Things changed when FFA began.

Apparently you did not read even the Purchase Contract. The $1000 is NOT a deposit or a down payment. After you order, and when they accept the order, they will give you a credit for that money.

It does not go "toward the price of your M3", since that would be a down payment or deposit and controlled by state laws concerning automobile sales contracts. They are basically gifting it back to you. The difference is whether:

A) Is there queue? No rumors. No PR. Are they operating a queue anymore? From what I've seen this month, no.

B) If there is no queue, is there any advantage that I'm not reading in Tesla's paperwork that benefits reservation holders? Yes, there is a 'threat' that if you get a refund, you will lose you place in the Queue. But they removed the paragraph that said "orders will be processed based on the time and date of your reservation."

To a "casual observer" who can read at the 6th grade level, you'd see what the Tesla Model 3 Contract says.

@qi writes: " I also studied spreadsheets and new owner delivery schedule reports. "

Are these data sources validated in any way?

PessimiStick | July 18, 2018

Are you buying the car? If yes, you lose nothing by keeping your reservation -- it can only help.

If you're not buying the car, why do you have a reservation at all?

This is like... shit my 5 year old could figure out.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

I just cancelled mine and this it my reason I have provided to Tesla:
"I was waiting for $35K base model, but Tesla does not even have a prototype. To me it is an indication Tesla have no plans to sell $35K Model 3 that was presented as EV car for the masses. I wish you luck with your journey, it is very sad I could not drive affordable Tesla Model 3 anytime soon."

lilbean | July 18, 2018

Haha!

mikepisko | July 18, 2018

Who couldn’t have guessed that was coming? But yet this person will continue to frequent the forums even with no car on order...

Michelle

RedPillSucks | July 18, 2018

There are numerous youtube posts where the purchase agreement clearly shows that the $3500 goes to the purchase of the car.

qi | July 18, 2018

"PessimiStick | July 18, 2018
Are you buying the car? If yes, you lose nothing by keeping your reservation -- it can only help.

If you're not buying the car, why do you have a reservation at all?

This is like... shit my 5 year old could figure out."

Congrats! Your 5 year old will do much better than you. You should be proud.

I want a P3D before Dec 31.

It appears the best way to get one is to wait for an Inventory unit.

No risk then. It's a company car, and there's that whole rebate thing.

Obviously (I asked your 5 year old), if Nov comes with no fixed date, I can still grab a 3LR.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

LOL, I have EV I love to drive every day and it is not Tesla. There is no reason to keep $1000 deposit at this point for something that does no even exists. It is just waist of money. lol

qi | July 18, 2018

Well, the only thing that bites is apparently Tesla will not just unwind your CC deposit... oppss... reservation.
If you don't have a debit card, you need to give them your banking info.
If you want a check it will be 30-60 business days.

Hunch. P3D's will be in inventory in Sept or earlier. No risk.

PessimiStick | July 18, 2018

If you are hinging a $75,000 purchase on $3,750, you f'ed up a *long* time ago.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

@qi I used me Checking account - ACH is the most secure/simple option. I have way to many CC I do not even use or know/remember about. The one for sure - I do not carry over balances, ever. lol

qi | July 18, 2018

"RedPillSucks | July 18, 2018
There are numerous youtube posts where the purchase agreement clearly shows that the $3500 goes to the purchase of the car."

Correct pragmatically, but incorrect legally. This is why the Contract is worded that way. A car deposit is refundable in many states and is controlled by special auto sales laws. Especially if they miss their delivery date. It's controlled by law. When there is a non-refundable deposits allowed, the price must be fixed. This give Tesla leeway in sales transactions.

When Tesla credits you $3500, it's a not a deposit or down. You can think of it as a discount, a gift, a promotion, but it is not money paid for a car.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

@qi Of course it goes towards outstanding balance of the car purchase price. The question is why to have $3.5K deposit vs, $2.5K deposit as both get you in order queue. But you need to understand a deposit vs. down payment. Deposit means - you have to take delivery of the car, if you fail they keep the deposit.

@qi writes: "Hunch. P3D's will be in inventory in Sept or earlier. No risk"

Were you sincere about the questions you have in your OP or are you just wanting to argue over your hunch?

qi | July 18, 2018

"PessimiStick | July 18, 2018
If you are hinging a $75,000 purchase on $3,750, you f'ed up a *long* time ago."

The company buys the car. It's a C class corp.

If you are paying for your cars, I think you have me beat in the FUALTA dept. Congrats!

It might be $75k. I think they will discount inventory units.

WantMY | July 18, 2018

@mikepisko you should be driving you Model 3 and get the @uck out of this forum, lol

qi | July 18, 2018

"@qi writes: "Hunch. P3D's will be in inventory in Sept or earlier. No risk"

Were you sincere about the questions you have in your OP or are you just wanting to argue over your hunch?"

I was looking for somebody who could tell me that queue system is in place.

I just went 'free-range' buyer a few minutes ago. This isn't the only place I asked. I've been trying to guess what is going on since early this month, and found nothing.

But thanks y'all for the assist. Over and out.

ST70 | July 18, 2018

@WantMY- nobody cares...go away

WantMY | July 18, 2018

@ST70 - nobody cares...go away, lol

Xerogas | July 18, 2018

OP claims that $3500 does not go towards the purchase price of the car -- wow. Tesla must have magically reduced the price of my car by exactly $3500, then, because somehow I ended up paying exactly what I expected, and didn't end up donating an extra $3500 to Elon.

OP also claims there will be "inventory" vehicles available by the end of the year...which has happened exactly NEVER with Teslas, because they sell every car faster than they can make them. Dude, Tesla doesn't have dealerships, and they certainly don't carry inventory. Demand exceeds supply.

This is some next-level parsing and interpretation of language, far into cray-cray territory.

neofelis | July 18, 2018

@qi The purchase contract outlines that if something unexpected happens, Tesla keeps either $2500 or $3500 of the monies. $3500 when a reservation was made. The monies are not a deposit or down payment, they are a processing fee.

Careful what you post, I said the same thing in my own independent thread and some nasty trolls on this site just pounced. Anonymous trolls living in their mom's basement.

The language is ambiguous but I'm convinced the $3500 goes to the cost of the car.

dalesmith1962 | July 18, 2018

@qi “When Tesla credits you $3500, it's a not a deposit or down. You can think of it as a discount, a gift, a promotion, but it is not money paid for a car.”

Then my state overcharged me for sales tax. I paid sales tax on a full purchase price of $56,000, not on $52,500.

jamey.winchester | July 18, 2018

The $3,500 shows up on the MVPA as an "order payment" and in the fine print it does say that the order payment is not a deposit and is non-refundable. However, it IS deducted from the purchase price of the car, it is not an additional fee.

qi, there may not be inventory P3D's anytime soon, but you can be sure that Tesla would rather have your money for that car over someone else's LR. You'll get your car before Dec 31. I would also wager that if you cancelled, got your $1000 back then submitted a new order where only $2,500 is non-refundable you would still get it this year because it's a P3D and Tesla wants high margin sales. I would not bank on waiting for an inventory car though.

Revelate | July 18, 2018

The P3D’s are shipping ahead of the AWD models apparently, but they are not going to go the same way as the stock FFA that we saw beginning of July for the LR.

If you want the shot if getting the P3D before the end of the year, I would order right the **** now.

If you sit on the configuration no matter what car you choose you won’t get it in time presumably for the full tax rebate. Recently configured AWD’s are estimating Oct-Dec and should be able to get thatke a P3D still before end of year.

Frankly this is kind of ridiculous anyway: if the tax rebate is the only justification for buying the car, then don’t buy it. The fact is buying something just because it is on “sale” is ludicrously bad financial management.

So don’t be a sucker, decide if you want the P3D or not, and if you do then configure, and if you don’t then don’t. Timing other than right now is just leaving time on the floor, and that assuredly will cause you to fail on the timing.

dgstan | July 18, 2018

Listen, if you took the $1000 and made a belt out of the bills, it would truly be a "waist of money".

WantMY | July 19, 2018

"Listen, if you took the $1000 and made a belt out of the bills, it would truly be a "waist of money"." courtesy of a few bourbon shots ;-)

gballant4570 | July 19, 2018

One last suggestion for the OP - consider the following wisdom, attributed to Samuel Clements

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and appear stupid, than to speak and remove all doubt."