Forums

Two Model 3's on My iPhone - One with MEDIA above PHONE KEY, One Without

Two Model 3's on My iPhone - One with MEDIA above PHONE KEY, One Without

I traded in our first Model 3 in July (after five months and 6,000 miles) but it's still on my phone app even though I'm in PA and it's in MI. It has a MEDIA option immediately above the PHONE KEY on my iPhone app.

I picked up its replacement, a P+ on Saturday, but it doesn't have the MEDIA option. Any ideas? TIA.

RichardKJ | October 18, 2018

I believe the Media button is only available when the car is on, i.e. when there is media to be controlled.

rxlawdude | October 18, 2018

Actually, when you're in proximity of the vehicle.

Bighorn | October 18, 2018

Are they on different FW updates?

hokiegir1 | October 18, 2018

Pretty sure that's a V9 feature. Has your new one gotten the new update yet?

TheOx | October 18, 2018

Both vehicles are on V9 (39.7) and the one now in MI is the one with the MEDIA option (which has now disappeared); so the idea that it shows up when there is something to play is a good one. I'll try to check it out this evening.

I'm guessing it's not to control the MEDIA when you're several states away but to control it when you're in the car (and driving?). Anyone have actual experience using it?

burdogg | October 18, 2018

It only shows up when the car is on, or maybe when someone is inside it (not sure on this last one). I have three and no one is in any of them and there is no media button. When you get in the car, the media button becomes available. You can test this yourself, but has been my experience.

Bighorn | October 18, 2018

Did you note if the MI car was in use at the time? Creepy that you can control a new owner's car.

TheOx | October 18, 2018

@Bighorn

You're telling me!! I've taken steps to have it removed (but since I traded it in to Tesla in July, not sure why it didn't happen automatically).

Bighorn - I could control the music on my wife from home as she was driving on the interstate - I didn't do it, but maybe I will next time :))) Not sure what options are even available from the phone - so don't know what tricks I could have played...

That would have been funny TheOx - really scare some new owner that something funky was going wrong with their car :)))