Forums

Is Unlimited Free Supercharging Real

Is Unlimited Free Supercharging Real

I placed my order and paid my deposit on August 29 for a Performance Model 3. The dealer entered the code for unlimited supercharging. Two months later, it's time to pick up my model 3, but there's no mention of free unlimited supercharging on my Tesla page. The dealer says my car has it, but he hasn't shown me anything to demonstrate that. To me, the performance option is not worth an extra $11,500 ($1,500 lost state rebate), and I wouldn't have bought the car without free supercharging to offset the cost.

Has anyone seen any *evidence* that the free unlimited supercharging is *real*?

gmr6415 | November 6, 2018

I thought I had read that "lifetime" supercharging was limited to 400 kWh per year. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that only applied to the model 3 or some other circumstance.

dandragan | November 6, 2018

We have had our Performance Model 3 for about 6 weeks and have charged about 5 times at Superchargers. We just drive up and plug in and have never seen (yet) any fees. I think perhaps the supercharger somehow knows which car is plugged in and initiates the "unlimited free charging" as promised. Conversely, how do people pay fees if they do not have unlimited charging?

lbowroom | November 6, 2018

Yes. Many people in the same circumstance. I've inquired through executive escalation and been told it will eventually update on the website. I've used the superchargers and it hasn't shown up anywhere. I have no history tab where others do and I haven't been charged.

gmr6415 | November 6, 2018

@dandragan, if you don't have the "free supercharging" when you plug in the car is recognized by the Tesla system, and it charges the card you have on file in your account.

If for some reason you don't have a card on file the charges accumulate until you go to a service center and you are charged then.

Yes, the charger "somehow" knows what's plugged into it. The charges, if you owe them, are billed to the credit card you have on file. Remember the $2500 you put down?

bruce.x | November 6, 2018

Thanks, everyone.

Did anyone see anything before accepting delivery to demonstrate that your car had free unlimited supercharging?

No, just assurances from my sales assistance that it was so. No "evidence"

EVRider | November 6, 2018

You can see details of previous referral programs here: https://www.tesla.com/support/referral-program

According to that page, you were entitled to free supercharging, so as long as you used a referral code, you’ll get it.

ModernTriDad | November 6, 2018

I can't speak from experience.. yet, but there have been plenty of owners in the forums that discuss supercharging and not being billed for it. There have been a few that have also been billed and customer service has said that the process for enabling it on accounts has fallen behind. Model S/X owners have been supercharging free for years, so it's obviously *real*.

I am also in the situation of purchasing the P3D(-) in part of the free supercharging feature and I you may also be in NY because we "lost" the Drive Clean rebate now that the Performance Model 3 is no longer in the $2K rebate category (due to re-interpretation of the law midyear... very irritating!) I don't expect to make up $11500 in extra costs through supercharging, but I am in the process of a couple moves and going back to apartment life for 1-2 years. I plan to supercharge frequently and will do my best to make up for the extra $11500, but $11500 is several years of a lot of supercharging!

I also have the uncontrollable instinct to add unnecessary options when it comes to tech gadgets, so I probably would've added the P option anyway. If you find that you get billed, I have heard that removing your CC from your account will delay charges and you can contact support in the interim.

Good luck!

I used a referral code at the time of my order and it appeared on the 1st screen then again at the end of the order process on the order confirmation page right before I hit "Buy with Apple Pay" . I can't speak for the any free supercharging incentives that didn't require a code.

Thanks, ModernTriDad.
I don't expect to make up $11.5k, but I regularly drive (yes, from NY) to MI, and expect to recover about $1k per year. Over the lifetime of the car, I expect to make back quite a bit of the extra cost.

I didn't enter my own referral code. The Sales Assistant "make a case" to Tesla to apply the code to my order. I have never seen it. If they could just show me a screen at the dealer showing me that it's there before I cough up the additional $70k, I'd feel much better about the whole thing.

Many people had a referral applied after the initial order when upgrading to a Performance model. Since a non qualifying order was already in place, this referral had to be added in the back office by tesla.

I haven't heard of that screen existing and I don't see free supercharging anywhere in my own account, which is now scheduled for delivery 11/21. I would either (1) email your adviser and they could confirm it in an email, OR (2) use the contact page https://www.tesla.com/contact to open a case and they should email confirmation.

On the Drive Clean Rebate topic, I was hoping Tesla would be able to get that midyear Performance interpretation reversed with NY so we would still get the $2K. We're saving the environment as much as someone buying the $60K model and I'm probably just paying for extra software options (I know, controversial topic) over the non-P. It's frustrating that we will pay $6K+ in taxes and only get the $500 rebate. At least it is at the point of sale, so it won't be an irritating process as it is in some other states.

elecfan2 | November 6, 2018

From what I can gather, the actual system that does the charging of your credit card and the system where we look at the details of our car aren't the same computer system or database. They aren't automatically linked, as you would think they would be. They probably have to manually update each system by hand, and something regarding billing takes time and red tape as well as careful process so it will just take time.

My vehicle details still says "Pay Per Use Supercharging", but I've supercharged like 6 times. It still shows a price that slowly ticks up as I supercharge, but after the supercharge is done and I drive away it shows $0.00 cost, my Tesla account shows no history of charging, and my credit car hasn't been charged.

My car: 2018 (October 2018 Build) Obsidian Black Metallic Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade, EAP, FSD, ordered with referral code on September 10, 2018 with initial $1000 deposit placed November 2017.

ModernTriDad,
Again, thanks for the link. I've gotten nowhere on the phone.

Magic 8 Ball | November 6, 2018

Same: Account shows pay but we get free (as we should since we qualify).

Do you have a delivery adviser that you are aware of? I had a hard time reaching mine at first, but now mine is communicating really well with me. I'd email that adviser and get confirmation since he/she is assigned to your account. Tesla Support (by phone) was the way I got in contact with my 1st adviser. They seem to not communicate much until you are close to delivery and mine was originally supposed to be 11/5.

My car: (VIN 5Y...0982**) Obsidian Black Metallic Tesla Model 3 Performance without Performance Upgrade, EAP, FSD, ordered with referral code on September 13, 2018 with no reservation.

dkabq | November 6, 2018

@bruce.x It showed on my final MVPA Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement on my model X - which should be under details on the website. I don't have a performance 3 so not sure it will be in the same place. I do remember having the same discussion with the sales group while I was waiting and it didn't show up until the final MVPA.

ModernTriDad,
Attempts at Delivery Adviser contact have not gotten responses.

dkabq
It's not on the MVPA that they gave me yesterday during a failed delivery attempt. (The dealership was in subdued chaos.) Trying to sort this out before a repeat attempt Friday.

jimglas | November 6, 2018

I am in the same boat.
I was told by "corporate" the this "was a know glitch" and will be fixed "sometime".
I haven't been charged for SC, so fine with me.

Thanks, jimglas.
I wish it were fine with me. There have just been sooo many red flags warning me that something isn't right.

garretn | November 6, 2018

The only thing I have been able to get out of Tesla is an email from my DA on a couple of occasions that said my account shows free supercharging it's just the website that isn't updated. I find it odd Tesla wouldn't have some kind of option in the MVPA that shows this option so it's documented. I have SC'd quite a few times and never show a dollar amount on the cars dash or a charge on my account so the car must have free SC.

Sorry to be a downer, but the warning flags I've received, and my untrusting nature, make me suspect the lack of documentation is intentional. One plausible explanation might be that the lack of documentation makes it easier to pull the plug on the benefit. And since the MVPA includes a clause forcing buyers into arbitration sponsored by Tesla, and another waiving the right to engage in class action lawsuits...

Wow! Intentional! You have graduated from being a whiner to a FUDster, Congrats!

jimglas | November 6, 2018

+1 M8B

Okay everyone chill. If you ordered the Model 3 Performance before September 16th 2018 with a referral code, Tesla will make it right and you will get the Free Supercharging. The online database is behind, but it will catch up. No need to start throwing around FUDster insults. Go out and vote if you are bored, it's your civic duty.

Besides, any excuse to go out driving on a Tesla Model 3 Performance!

Voted last week, don't waste fuel energy going to a booth. Do it by mail.

Anyone spreading any hint that TESLA may be doing something nefarious is a FUDster, no way around it!

Well, I'm definitely experiencing FUD.
I have enough experience with car dealers that it's not going to go away.
Inability to express that and a community that won't consider it in a reasoned fashion makes it worse.

FWIW, while active here, I have simultaneously been on the phone with Verizon, who just increased my monthly bill by $300 for a $25 additional phone line. I just can't seem to make Hanlon's razor work for me today.

garretn | November 6, 2018

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to have a sku number or something for the person doing the MVPA to enter that sku and it print a line stating this vehicle has this option? Just like any other option on the car. Sure would take out the question of if you have it or not. Why leave question in peoples minds on if it's there or not? Let's be honest how many people have been lied to in the past and no proof to back it up? I'm not saying Tesla would ever do this but the car industry has a bad reputation.

Living in fear is no way to live.

Many will try to help you overcome your FUD but you are creating FUD.

I think you're shooting at the messengers. We're not creating it, we're stating its existence.

Now if you said "spreading FUD", that might be more accurate, as if we stepped in something and left tracks down the sidewalk. I can't speak for garretn, but I'm just looking for something to clean my shoe.

You are creating FUD when you float hypotheticals that TESLA is doing something nefarious.

I stated a simple, plausible explanation which fits all of my data points. It's actually one of the nicer explanations I can come up with. As I said above, Hanlon's razor isn't working so well for me today. Occam's razor is working better right now.

I'm still trying to make Hanlon's work, though. I have confirmed contact with the DA who reached out to me 4 weeks ago. If she can come through, I'll post it all here.

The DA replied soon after:

The referral program does not reflect on your motor vehicle purchase agreement, so do not worry that it is not on that document. It will be posted on your account based on what you qualify for. In your case, you qualify for Free Unlimited Supercharging because you ordered your Performance Model 3 between August 1st, 2018 and September 18th, 2018. According to your account, this referral code was added and approved.

I thanked her and asked when I will be able to see something for myself. It seems to be my nature.

I was locked out of the forum for a while. In the post I couldn't put up, I included an acknowledgement that I now have an e-mail trail. That's a big relief.

ODWms | November 6, 2018

I and others have received “documentation” (emails, texts, etc.), from Tesla agents assuring us that we do have “lifetime, unlimited supercharging,” but nothing in or on the accompanying documents I brought home with the car.

Indeed, when I go to a supercharger there is no charge applied, and there isn’t even a record of supercharging, anywhere that I can find, for free or otherwise.

Like you, I probably would not have purchased the upgraded version of this car without the free perk. But I am so glad that I have it. I find this all a little strange. But I am enjoying free supercharging in my PD3 as I was promised.

johnw | November 7, 2018

I’m supposed to have fusc but I’ve been charged on my card for each usage over several weeks now. I’ve attempted to contact the sc, and emailed the service email several times without response, so I’m starting to issue chargebacks against the charges. Someone else said this got Tesla’s attention and resolved the issue. The don’t like doing that but I also do t like being ignored by a company I’ve given this much money to!

johnw | November 7, 2018

Sorry about typos I’m on my phone

RES IPSA | November 7, 2018

Every time I supercharge, and I have only done it at the Qualcomm SD location, it says no recent history on the car screen. It is as if I have never been to a supercharger, even though I have been several times. I guess that is because the SD Qualcomm supercharger is free for all Tesla vehicles?

RES IPSA | November 7, 2018

For those with free supercharging, does your vehicle show recent supercharging history on your car's screen, or does it show the last time you went to a supercharger?

Jeffcrilly | November 7, 2018

I got a P3D+ delivered sept 9 with the free sc referral.

Used the SC a few times, no billing charge Afaict.

Screen in car does not have SC history.

My Tesla acct say “pay per use” but there is no history or tally of charges.

I have no CC on file in my account. The 2500 was paid using my Apple Watch.

Two weeks after getting the car I called Tesla support, and a guy there verified free-SC was “enabled” on my account.

I was thinking everyone was getting free SC, but I’ve read where people actually do get charged , eg when the document their cross country adventures.

Jeffcrilly | November 7, 2018

> To me, the performance option is not worth an extra $11,500 ($1,500 lost state rebate), and
> I wouldn't have bought the car without free supercharging to offset the cost.

Btw, I think that $11,500 “free supercharging offset” would get you something like 172,500 miles in range in the pay-per-use plan. Maybe a bit less since it’s performance model.
Are you planning on driving the car 172,500 miles?
If so, then good. You’ve locked in a fixed rate by essentially prepaying.
If not, then your cost/mile will be higher than if you just went for the pay-per-use plan (assuming SC fees aren’t increased dramatically).

Here’s another tidbit about “paying upfront for free SC”:
- SC cost is like $0.25 / kWh
- home charging is like $0.12 / kWh.
So charging at home is more cost effective than SC charging;
E.g. home charging is potentially half the cost of the SC.

The $11,500 offset is now good for like 340,000 miles of range.

OTOH, you got a P3D which IMO is a very nice performance vehicle.

ODWms | November 8, 2018

My screen shows no charges and no history of supercharging. It’s as if I never supercharged.

johnw | November 8, 2018

My screen shows history with charges. and this matches my credit card, though I should have fusc