Forums

"Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" related to update 44.2?

"Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" related to update 44.2?

I updated to 44.2 last night and tonight I have an error in the app that says, "Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" with an amber color near the charge port (in the picture on the app). The charge port on the car has a white "T" and the cable did not lock in place (usually the cable locks in place and the "T" turns dark blue). Additionally, there is a periodic ticking noise coming from the charge port and I think it's keeping the car from going to sleep because when I look at my app it finds the car almost immediately. If I tell it to start charging the cable will lock into place and charging is normal. When I stop charging it goes back to the white "T" and the ticking noise... anyone else have this issue?

HighlandPony | November 26, 2018

No, I’m on 44.2 and mine is charging just fine.

Bighorn | November 26, 2018

Push the cable in further

12Brent | November 26, 2018

If I push the cable any harder it will end up in the trunk... I've tried the obvious things, rebooted, started and stopped charging, etc. I've had the car for seven months and I'm pretty sure I know how it works. :)

I'm not alone... TMC thread about the same thing: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/charge-cable-may-not-be-plugged-...

Orange means it’s not fully engaged.

Orange is only in the picture on the app. The "T" is white... read the post. It charges fine but the cable doesn't lock and car doesn't sleep as it's making the ticking noise.

I read the post.

@HighlandPony, do you use scheduled charging? I might not notice if you don't use scheduled charging because it will lock into place and start charging and everything is normal (even the error in the app goes away while it's charging). The problems I'm having are only when the car is waiting for the scheduled charging time.

Jken | November 26, 2018

I used scheduled charging for the first time last night,and it went badly - this morning I couldn't remove the cable. Long story short, I had to wait for a while until it started charging again and finally I was able to get it to release.

I haven't used scheduled charging before, so I can't say it was a 44.2 bug but.. suspicous.

44.2 changed the locking behavior of the charge port because of the cold issues, so it no longer locks when not charging. A solenoid apparently retracts when idle and the plug can be removed without unlocking the door. The app message is only supposed to persist a few seconds.

donlen.k.ruffin | November 26, 2018

Had the same message for the first time in 3 years. Ver 42.2 and had to fully disengage and re-engage.

But car was charging, just at “limited” rate according to the message on my phone app.

D

dalesmith1962 | November 26, 2018

“44.2 changed the locking behavior of the charge port because of the cold issues, so it no longer locks when not charging.”

This is a problem for me. I have a convicted thief for a neighbor. I would need to set my alarm to get up after charging completes and store my UMC so he wouldn’t have an opportunity to steal it.

I’m glad I still have 42.3 for the time being. I guess I need to get a wall connector installed soon.

Bighorn | November 27, 2018

This new behavior may be tied to a temperature threshold. I’m seeing a green status on my app with charging complete in a 50F garage. Seems a lot of the TMC observations were under colder circumstances.

dwakelee | November 27, 2018

It is a 44.2 issue, and only at cold temp. Various issues with the cold weather update - supposedly pulled from continued rollout. An annoyance for the time being with the invalid error, but the car still charges. Will surely be corrected with a future firmware and app update. Unknown if they will remove the charge port cold temperature no lock feature though - don't think the odds are too good @dalesmith1962.

12Brent | November 27, 2018

Thanks, Bighorn. I had the thought that the non-locking charge cable was related to the cold weather changes but the error message and the strange ticking noise (and my car not sleeping) made me think I had a problem. This morning my car was finally asleep and I didn't hear the ticking noise so hopefully it will be as simple as updating the app to remove that warning. I guess now I know what "charge connector locking behaviors have been optimized for cold weather" means. Seems like they could've said something more informative like, "below 40 degrees the charge cable will not lock until charging has started". I do think this is a poor solution for people who need to charge outside...

CharleyBC | November 27, 2018

I'm confused. Why would charge port behavior vary as a function of temperature?

12Brent | November 27, 2018

I'm guessing people were having problems with the lock freezing shut in cold weather, so leaving it unlocked avoids this. I'm also guessing that it won't freeze shut while charging because of the heat created during charging, so it unlocks when it's done charging to avoid freezing locked. Why they have it behave differently at different temperatures is a good question... as my 9-year old daughter would say, "Who knows, the world may never know?"

CharleyBC | November 27, 2018

@12Brent: That makes sense. Given the security issue a few have mentioned, it ought to be user configurable.

Bighorn | November 27, 2018

44.2 addressed the uproar about frozen door handles and charge ports. Apparently the solenoid driven pin that holds the charge cable was part of the issue of cables getting stuck, so it makes sense what they’ve done to be tied just to lower temperatures since it removes a security feature of preventing cable theft.

OneSanket | December 13, 2018

I've got 2018.48.1 and App 3.7.0 and still see the problem. Says "Charge cable may not be plugged in correctly" and the orange light on the car. I have charging scheduled for at a later time. If I press start charging now, it charges just fine. Hopefully, the next version upgrade will solve this.

vts747 | December 13, 2018

Don't know if this helps, but I had the same problem before I installed new wiring in my garage. I had to lower the amps, and the problem went away. Clicking noise is normal based on the "winterization" update I guess, I have the same.

TeslAnh | December 13, 2018

Have this same problem last week after 3 months of no issues, turn out the 14-50 adapter plug was loose from the charging cable. At first I thought it was the outlet so I switched it to the spare outlet in the garage, the adapter plug fell out when I moved it to the 2nd outlet and that was how I knew it got loose. Reinsert the adapter into the charging cable and moved it back to the original outlet and the message went away. I think I was tugging at it and over time it got loose.

TeslAnh | December 13, 2018

Have this same problem last week after 3 months of no issues, turn out the 14-50 adapter plug was loose from the charging cable. At first I thought it was the outlet so I switched it to the spare outlet in the garage, the adapter plug fell out when I moved it to the 2nd outlet and that was how I knew it got loose. Reinsert the adapter into the charging cable and moved it back to the original outlet and the message went away. I think I was tugging at it and over time it got loose.

Tesla2018 | December 14, 2018

I had a similar thing when I switched from the 240 adapter to the 120 volt and then went back to the 240. The adapter wasnt plugged all the way into the charging thing with the scrolling Tesla lettering on it.

vicbhardwaj | February 26, 2019

Hi I live in Minneapolis and own a Model S. I need help as with this winter none of the destinations are fully connecting to the charge port and flashing Orange/Amber instead of green. I have tried at least 6 different locations with same problem as when the adapters have snow or other debris its not fully connecting. And One Big Issue -......Can someone please help on how to clean the adapter?