Forums

Model 3 car registration and license plates

Model 3 car registration and license plates

I received my CA license plates directly from Tesla. Is my car registration coming from the DMV or should I have received the registration from Tesla with the license plates?

Rbnaidu | December 3, 2018

This past weekend i got my CA plates from Tesla as well. Package did include DMV registration along with it. Check your envelope and then call Tesla.

TranzNDance | December 3, 2018

It is subtly included with the plates.

CharleyBC | December 3, 2018

Whoa. That's new! CA emerges from the dark ages and lets car companies give out plates at delivery. MA has been doing this forever. And CA has all these un-plated new cars running around with impunity. About time.

jjt2122 | December 4, 2018

The DMV sends your plates to tesla and Tesla mails it to you.

TranzNDance | December 5, 2018

I'm wondering if we have different interpretations of receiving from Tesla. I was thinking by mail but Charley seems to think it was in person. What was the case, OP?

Infiniti Pi | December 5, 2018

Just got mine for NC—with 3 days to spare on the temps. Pay attention, there is a personal property tax bill in there that must be paid lest your plate expires in 60 days.

cedarpine | December 26, 2018

My Tesla 3 temporary plate is expiring in 4 days (31 Dec). I need a new temp plate or paperwork to register/transfer at local DMV to get a new plate. I have traded in my car but Tesla just gave me the old plate back and didn't transfer the new Tesla 3 over when picked up the car.

qa_engnr | December 27, 2018

@lemrock,

Did you get your registration from the DMV yet? I also received my plates directly from Tesla but it didn't include the registration as well. I believe we have up to 90 days to receive it from DMV though, so may need to just wait a bit longer.

ITW | June 8, 2019

I received my Model 3 on May 10, 2019. I live in Orange County, CA. I was told the license plate will arrive in about 2 weeks. It's been one month. Anyone has similar experience? I did not have loan on the car. I called and emailed Tesla several times. ZERO response. Any suggestion? Thanks

caboking314 | July 17, 2019

Same thing here! Nothing!

caboking314 | July 17, 2019

I took delivery on 6/27 and want to refi but can’t without the registration. I think Tesla is running a dmv scam on the fees we pay when we buy the car - it appears that they are making interest on the fees by waiting up to 9” days to pay dmv. If they are selling 7000 model 3s per week, that’s a ton of money! I have been to the dmv and AAA several times this week and they have NO RECORD of my vehicle or VIN. They said that Tesla hasn’t sent anything to them or made any attempt to register my vehicle. This is very upsetting because I’m now paying interest at a higher rate and can’t refi with my CU until they do their job and register my car. WTF prob going to lawyer up and file suit.

eztider | July 17, 2019

California DMV is as slow as Christmas. Your plates are going to come and the registration will be with them but it's going to take weeks.

raqball | July 18, 2019

@cabokings314.

I don't think Tesla is running a scam they are just sloooooooooooooooow......

I am still waiting on my plates and also took delivery on the 27th. My temp tag expires today. Called Portland Tesla yesterday and they told me that the paperwork was sent to the DMV on the 17th.. I asked "The 17th, as in today" and he said yes....

Asked if they could give another temp tag and was told no.. They said if I get a ticket from the police to bring it in to them... LOL

So I'll be rolling along with an expired temp tag for another 2, 3 or 4 weeks...

Smalm | July 18, 2019

I’m in Orange County took about a month. Delivery 6/5 plates 7/6.