Forums

Deer detection

Deer detection

I was driving at night an luckily avoided 3-4 deer running across the street right in front of the model 3. Should the cameras and sensors be able to pick this up and generate a warning/collision alert? I have often had loud alarms go off from parked cars on the right side of neighborhood streets depending on the angle of approach to the parked car. I would have suspected that 3 large animals running in front of the car would have set off something or shown shadow images on the screen (by the way, I'm sure that there are others out there who also look at the screen and think of Frogger when the images of cars are jumping around on the screen).
Just some curiosities.
thanks.

wiboater4 | January 4, 2019

I had a deer run out in front of me early on before they did the screen update to show pedestrians and motorcylcles etc. I just instinctively hit the brakes so I don't know if the Tesla would have done anything The car has great brakes by the way. I was thinking the car probably would have at almost the same time as me.

walnotr | January 4, 2019

While I think it would be a great feature, I suspect the engineers are working hard getting the bugs out of where we are right now with this iteration. I guess I should be more diligent making bug reports. :-)

M3phan | January 4, 2019

Deer fear the Ludicrous Mode Fart. Windows down. Volume up.

EVRider | January 5, 2019

The car does better detecting objects that you approach; deer running across the road in front of you won’t necessarily trigger any alert. I had the same thing happen to me once and got no alert.

EVRider | January 5, 2019

I should add that it happened in a Model S with AP1, not a Model 3.

billtphotoman | January 5, 2019

This area of Austin is crawling with those big hoofed rats and I can vouch my collision detection alarm went off when a couple ran in front of my car. I was too busy taking evasive action to look at the screen display.

jjgunn | January 5, 2019

Fear the deer....#GreekFreak

Patrick | January 5, 2019

Our 3D braked rapidly for a moment yesterday after detecting something small in the road ahead of the car. It went by so fast I'm not even sure what it was. It also shows people anywhere near the car, so I'm pretty sure it would detect a deer. Stopping in time is another question...

The car will stop quickly though, no doubt about that...

kevin_rf | January 5, 2019

Don't remember any alert the other night when a deer jumped off the stone wall in front of me. I wasn't traveling fast at the time, just slowing down for the driveway..

kcheng | January 5, 2019

I've been run into by two deer over the last 20 years. Last year, it cost me, or my insurance, $3500 to replace both doors on the passenger side of my 2016 Chevy Volt. It'd be nice if the car could detect deer and try to avoid, or slow or at least give a warning.

guydude | January 5, 2019

I hit a deer a few weeks ago in my 3. $7500 damage.

M3phan | January 6, 2019

@guydude: Dude! you physically OK? Passengers? wow, sorry man. That is rough. Where was the damage?

matt80206 | January 7, 2019

@guydude... sorry to read! hope your okay too!!

ReD eXiLe ms us | January 7, 2019

Windshield technology provides excellent deer detection abilities.

Deer typically travel alone around here. Maybe someone should start putting those orange reflective jackets on them?

mikes | January 7, 2019

Car does not recognize deer. I live rural and drive about 7 miles to interstate every day with lot's of deer around. Had to slow down and "crawl" thru a bunch (About 10) of deer on the road one day. The screen showed nothing! Had deer within a couple feet of the car in the front and side. Luckily I have not hit one yet with my Tesla. Totaled Chrysler about a year ago and also got a couple with my truck about 3 years ago. Would be super cool if Tesla could help with that issue.

bwagner | April 24, 2019

This may be off topic a little, but have any of you experienced the loss of the close detection lines that appear on the screen, like when you get too close to the garage door or a tree near the drive? The first couple weeks of ownership the screen would show wavy orange then red lines when close to objects. My Model 3 doesn't do that anymore. Should I try some kind of reset?

b0n3z | April 24, 2019
ajbutler45 | April 24, 2019

@bwagner I lost just the two front center sensors on my car. They would read correctly in morning, but not work the rest of the day. I called the Tesla 800 number and they were able to fix it over the air. Once I called them it took about 3 days for them to fix. I did try resetting many times sometimes it worked for a day sometimes it didn't work.

angchunmin | June 5, 2019

Going back to avoiding animals on the road, would anyone know about the possibility of installing a 3rd party thermal imaging camera a Model 3 in regard to connection to the power supply/monitor?

https://www.flir.com.au/products/pathfindir-ii/

Kenz | June 6, 2019

I have hit two deer in 20 years on country roads. They just pop out of no where with little warning.
You are lucky if you see them. I usually slow way down if I see a deer ahead on the side of the road.
You never know when they will dart out onto the road or if one of their buddies will.
When you see one there are usually another one or more nearby. Best option is to slow down.

mystery | November 24, 2019

you wouldnt necessarily want a vehicle to slow down before impact right? that could be the difference between a deer hitting the grille and going through the windshield causing human injuries...

Pg3ibew | November 24, 2019

I need my Deer Detection Early warning system. White tail deer. Mule Deer are not as reactive as white tails. In studies I have done, White Tails Does move at a constant rate of .083 ft per KWH. Bucks do double that. Mule Deer, on the other hand, move at a SEMI Constant rate .094383 PI ft. per megakilwat diameter. The data on Mule deer bucks is still out for study. NASA should have that info by the time Space X lands on Mars.

Until then, Iwill bring my Model 3 to the service center in Topeka on a daily basis.

Scrannel | November 24, 2019

I'm originally from Vermont where leaping/flying deer are an issue. Friend of mine, who was a judge, and also happened to drive a Daytona, had become expert at deer dodging. Until one night, blasting along those beautiful back roads, he hit a cow. And if a cow has your name on it...

Magic 8 Ball | November 24, 2019

"you wouldnt necessarily want a vehicle to slow down before impact right?"

If there is going to be impact you want the vehicle to slow down. You cannot predict where the impact will take place. If you are worried about deer mount some deer whistles on the hood of your car.

kevin_rf | November 24, 2019

Up here, the motto is "Brake for Moose. It could save your life."

I always brake for deer. Heck I once came to a full stop for a herd and one still tripped over the car. The other deer where like you've been eating to many spoiled apples haven't you. No more apples for you!

Btw. Latest deer jumping in front of the car video. Did not hear a single alert from the car (did not look over at the display, to busy driving). I know, posted it before:
https://youtu.be/Nmvygz8G2Mg

billtphotoman | November 25, 2019

This area of Austin is crawling with deer so my model 3 gets plenty of "looks" at them. If they are crossing directly in front of the car at a walk I have seen them show up as pedestrians. When they are running at full tilt it doesn't seem to detect them at all. But, fortunately the model 3 has great front visibility which helps me detect them. I would not want to hit one at any speed because the best case would be a broken windshield and an injured deer I would then need to deal with.

WW_spb | November 25, 2019

I want Bigfoot radar and bugs killing lasers

Nonoinparis | February 9, 2020

Just had my close encounter with a deer. On interstate in northern Michigan which is lined with deer carcasses. Speed limit 75 mph. Driving a 6 pm, in the dark but no fog or rain or snow. Light traffic. In adaptive cruise but not autosteer.
Saw 2 deer in the left lane walking slowly into my lane. I remembered the Steer, Don't Veer for Deer signs and just plowed through one of the deer. It hit the frunk like and top passenger side of my windshield and left a smashed point on the front roof panel. I was able to complete my trip.
I have not been able to retrieve video. I am just surprised that the Tesla did not react at all the 'seeing' the deer or hitting it. Any thoughts?

Nonoinparis | February 9, 2020

Just had my close encounter with a deer. On interstate in northern Michigan which is lined with deer carcasses. Speed limit 75 mph. Driving a 6 pm, in the dark but no fog or rain or snow. Light traffic. In adaptive cruise but not autosteer.
Saw 2 deer in the left lane walking slowly into my lane. I remembered the Steer, Don't Veer for Deer signs and just plowed through one of the deer. It hit the frunk like and top passenger side of my windshield and left a smashed point on the front roof panel. I was able to complete my trip.
I have not been able to retrieve video. I am just surprised that the Tesla did not react at all the 'seeing' the deer or hitting it. Any thoughts?

Magic 8 Ball | February 9, 2020

They should move the deer crossing signs to safer locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

Nexxus | February 11, 2020

I hit two deer within a six month time period early on after purchasing the car. Took out a $5.00 insurance policy on them and got deer whistlers I put on the car before I left the Service King parking lot. The mechanic there said, aw, don't put those on. They'll ruin the look of the car. Heck, you can barely notice them. I think he was just spoiling for more business in the future. Haven't hit a deer since and they move away from the car when they see me coming now.

@Magic 8 Ball, Love that video.

AWDTesla | February 11, 2020

Do deer whislters work? I was told they don't. Haven't found very many reviews saying they do.

We have lots of deer and moose here. A family just lost their two young children from a moose flying into their car after it got hit by the car coming head on. Same age as my 2 youngest. Hit close to home.

AWDTesla | February 11, 2020

...and when we go up to the cottage, I go maybe 50km/hr in the deer populated areas. They don't hear my car at all, great for looking at them as I can pretty much sneak up on them and get really close, kids love it, but its always in the back of my mind that these animals can't hear this car as well as my other cars.