Forums

Is the Model 3 Hermetically sealed?

Is the Model 3 Hermetically sealed?

Like the title says, I’ve heard Elon say that the car can operate as a boat for short periods of time. If that were the case, I would imagine all skateboard components would need to be watertight/hermetically sealed. What depth can you drive in before you get cabin water breaching also?

Anyone have any information on this? I don’t know if he was being sarcastic or not. Will it float?

I’m just confused.... where are the myth busters when you need em?

EVRider | January 22, 2019

I think that was true of the Model S, not sure about Model 3. Even though the car could float, that didn’t mean there wouldn’t be damage — floating is not a Model S “feature”. There was a video of a floating Model S — google it.

JAD | January 22, 2019

No, it is not. The components are pretty water tight, so briefly under water is ok, it is not a submarine. The bio defense works by having more pressure inside, not by bring perfectly sealed. Under water, the outside pressure is far greater and it would leak a lot.

rxlawdude | January 22, 2019

Only if it's in a pickle jar. Where's Carnack when you need him?

CorkChop | January 23, 2019

Well you assume that hermetically sealed and floating are mutually exclusive and they are not. How about you try it out and let us know what happens.

andy.connor.e | January 23, 2019

"I’ve heard Elon say that the car can operate as a boat for short periods of time."

Everything can operate as a boat for a short period of time. That is, if your definition of "operate as a boat" is between the time it enters the water and before it sinks under the surface. I almost cannot believe the questions being asked here today.

Lorenzryanc | January 23, 2019

Like his "rapid unscheduled disassembly". Define "time". I do love that man

wiboater4 | January 23, 2019

There's a picture of one floating trunk end up on Teslarati site. Someone stole it and ran it into a river.

Halbach | January 23, 2019

My car impressively holds water trapped between the door seals on the passenger rear door, so there's that ;-)

EVRider | January 23, 2019

Here’s one of the original articles about the floating Model S: https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/20/11975452/tesla-model-s-floats-boat-el...

don.lind | January 23, 2019

@rxlawdude - it was a mayonnaise jar. I came looking for that comment. Thanks

lbowroom | January 24, 2019

Hermetically sealed? So hop in, close the doors, turn off the HVAC and suffocate. Sound like a good idea?

Magic 8 Ball | January 24, 2019

But hermetically is a cool word so can't blame the OP for trying.

Slam the door, pop an eardrum...

mabuck | January 24, 2019

Thanks all, just got confirmation that all skateboard components are watertight and have actually been certified to IPX6.

Also, cabin is completely watertight. Tested today driving on the east coast.

jordanrichard | January 24, 2019

Elon was saying that in jest. I mean every car is water tight, until it isn't................

PhillyGal | January 24, 2019

No

andy.connor.e | January 24, 2019

Probably watertight at 1 atmospheric pressure, non-submerged. Kind of like your raincoat being "water resistant" but not waterproof. Will protect you from the rain, but is not intended to be submerged.

mabuck | January 24, 2019

xD

terminator9 | January 24, 2019

I think it's a fair question for geographic areas that can often flood or are in flood prone zone. If the car can resist, then it could even be a selling feature.

rxlawdude | January 24, 2019

@don.lind: mayonnaise, pickles, what's the diff? ;-)

Rt002k | January 24, 2019

Get in your car at 4,000 ft elevation. Close the door. Turn off the climate control system. Drive to the beach. Open the door - if you get a sudden whoosh of air in, yup, it's hermetically sealed! But you probably would have died of asphyxiation first since no new oxygen could get in.

The car may be water tight up to whatever the height the vents are located, but not submergible. The cabin has to be vented

lilbean | January 24, 2019

It hermetically seals when the driver is in fart mode.

bj | January 24, 2019

You should watch this video of the opposite - some pranksters filled their car with water and drove it around in Adelaide, Australia:

https://youtu.be/WhnrBWW7XYE