Forums

Any use to keeping a reservation?

Any use to keeping a reservation?

I was wondering if there's any more use in keeping a reservation (EU-based) since I'm waiting for the base model 3.
Even for the currently available option packs there seems to be no more advantage to having a reservation.

Thoughts?

ILoveMyModel3 | January 23, 2019

Not really. I canceled mine and got my 1K back then ordered the LR model.

terminator9 | January 23, 2019

No.

jjgunn | January 23, 2019

I'm keeping mine....

Here Tesla....Hang onto this Thousand for me, Thanks...

mrburke | January 23, 2019

Who knows, but it would not surprise me if the "$35K" M3 is only available to existing reservation holders. In fact, I think that will be very likely if Tesla views that as a "break-even" sale.

Lonestar10_1999 | January 23, 2019

I’m going to let it ride until the $35k model is offered or until my Prius blows up, whichever comes first. Naturally if the Prius becomes unroadworthy first, I will need to replace it with a reliable car for commuting to work and general ground transportation.

If not the M3, my second choice is the plugin hybrid Prius Prime.

cquail | January 23, 2019

I think mrburke may have a good point. Once all the reservation holders that want the 35K Model 3 have been satisfied I see no reason why Tesla would need to keep the price of the SR Model 3 at 35K.

Does anyone believe that 35K will be a fixed price for all time?

kevin_rf | January 23, 2019

@Lonestar that was my plan A. Managed to push the 2005 to 380,000 miles. It's last West Virginia trip killed it a week before mine arrived. It had a good ride....

kel_carrigan | January 23, 2019

I got my deposit refunded after I realized the 35K M3 was a long way off and likely not eligible for the $7500 credit. It also doesn't seem as crucial since they are hitting their production goals. I do think they will release a Standard Range version, but it will first only be offered with the premium package which makes it 40K at minimum and it may not be available in time for even the $3750 credit (it still says 4-6 months away). Keeping the reservation would probably be a good idea to try and get a standard range, premium package, with $1875 tax credit.

RES IPSA | January 23, 2019

@kel.... I agree with your last sentence. That seems likely to happen in the second half of 2019. The true 35k version will be available in 2020

lbowroom | January 23, 2019

If you plan on having dinner in a crowded restaurant, yes.

jamilworm | January 23, 2019

I highly doubt that the reservation will matter anymore, even when the base model comes out. When the mid range was released it immediately went on sale to the general public with no delivery preference for reservation holders. So if they already abandoned reservation priority for the mid range why would they bring it back for the short range?

With that being said, if I were still waiting for the base model I would keep my reservation just for the minute possibility that it would matter.

walnotr | January 24, 2019

If one still intends to purchase a model 3, why not leave the money on the table? It will be applied to to purchase price and will be $1K to come up with later. I won’t get into the argument of “If I had only invested it in …” It’s almost like money in the bank and almost earning as much interest. ;-)

cmh95628 | January 24, 2019

I too think mrburke has a good point. I would think there would be a lot more reservation holders who want a SR, over the MR and LR--just a guess.

TranzNDance | January 24, 2019

I wonder if it would be transferrable to the Model Y reservation. Does anyone have experience with previous vehicle models when new models were introduced?

aaannn | January 26, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. It seems unlikely to me that Tesla would allow only the reservation holders to purchase a 35k model, given his dream to make EV's available to everyone. By the time we get there, the production should be so high that the reservations only matter for a month or so.
I'm going to cancel it and just wait for the other models to come to Europe.

cquail | January 26, 2019

If you do not mind being at the back of the line, a cancellation might be the thing to do. But it may be many months before your $1K is returned based on comments from others on the forum. On the Model 3 order page it says SR in 4-6 months. Reservation holders have a chance at a $3750 tax rebate. Those taking delivery in 2020 will get no US tax rebate.

Lonestar10_1999 | January 26, 2019

@cquail - the order page said “the SR in 4-6 months” since November 2018.

So my $1k good faith deposit is beginning to feel like bad faith. I certainly believe in Tesla’s mission and Elon’s vision but as a consumer, I need an affordable vehicle to meet my basic commuting needs. I don’t have the luxury of waiting an indefinite period for the M3 because when my current Prius finally dies I will need a replacement vehicle immediately. Of course I would be happy to trade in my working Prius for the M3 any time.

As I patiently wait for the SR M3, it would ease my mind if I could simply order the $35k version. This way I would know that Tesla is actually willing to sell the M3 at the promised base price.

Hal Fisher | January 26, 2019

The $35k version might likely suck. Imagine cloth non-heated manual seat, cheezy sound system, mybe even smaller battery, and everything is an option. The current mr rd gives you all the bells and whistles for not much more after incentives. I got mine for $47 base (but i got color and wheel options) then minus the $10k (i got extra $2.5k from CA) and could use the full credit because i sold stock. That knocked it down to $37k so for the mr battery and all options it works out to better than the $35k (unless you were hoping for rebate on top which probably most were).

Lonestar10_1999 | January 26, 2019

Hal, if you see the video of the initial M3 reveal, Elon insists the base version will be a great car. That is all I need. No matter what model you wind up with, there is always something better out there. The only way the car could suck is if there are ongoing unresolved issues stemming from design flaws and poor quality control, all combined with subpar customer service.

In all likelihood, the base M3 could be superior to the initial M3 models, assuming Tesla resolves the issues the early adopters have been complaining about..

EVRider | January 26, 2019

To answer the original question, if you keep your reservation, Tesla might contact you with special incentives to order your car, especially towards the end of a quarter. If you're sure you're going to order a Model 3 this year, there's no harm in keeping the reservation -- it will probably take a while to get your refund, and you'll earn almost nothing on that money if you order this year.

richardls | January 26, 2019

Leaving the deposit in place may give you priority for newer version (especially the $35k one). Thus, if you plan to use purchase a less expensive version, you are better of leaving the deposit in place (unless you NEED the money for something else).