Forums

Tesla could have a new market if they pursue it

Tesla could have a new market if they pursue it

"A purchase of 16 police vehicles by the Lakeland Police Department highlights the end of the American cop car as manufacturers ditch sedans for SUV models"

"It’ll have a “cop motor ... cop tires, cop suspension and cop shocks,” but unlike Elwood Blues’ super-powered “Bluesmobile,” the police cruiser of the next decade is not likely to be an American sedan."

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190211/polk-county-facing-last-generati...

This seems to be a perfect market for Tesla's 4-door sedans. It would seem to make even more sense when you consider that only a cop in a Tesla will be able to catch a Tesla. It wouldn't be all that far fetched that there could be a "COP" app added to the onboard computer accessible through the touchscreen.

Bighorn | February 13, 2019

Lots of examples of departments testing out Tesla for traffic enforcement, seemingly more in Europe.

maiklblinder2001 | February 13, 2019

I wouldn't approve it as taxpayer. Too expensive

lbowroom | February 13, 2019

Because you've studied the total cost of ownership including maintenance and fuel costs?

gmr6415 | February 13, 2019

@maiklblinder2001, The average cost of a law enforcement vehicle is north of $100k. That's largely because of upgrades in tires, suspension, high HP engines, onboard computer systems to run law enforcement software, etc.

Using Teslas could mitigate some of those costs especially when it comes to the cost of an upgrade to a high performance internal combustion engine, which is one of the biggest costs, and adding an onboard computer system capable of running law enforcement software.

SalisburySam | February 13, 2019

“...only a cop in a Tesla will be able to catch a Tesla.” Er, not really. No vehicle can outrun a Motorola as the saying goes. Followed by road blocks or stop strips as needed.

kevin_rf | February 13, 2019

If you want to outrun the cops, invest in a tank. Nothing can stop it, short of running out of fuel or driver error.

Tuning In | February 13, 2019

Typical fanboy comment. No, Tesla’s cannot out run helicopters and small aircraft. Nor can it outrun the bullet that is in their gun if you aggressively try to evade them.

CharleyBC | February 13, 2019

I've wondered from time to time about Teslas as police cars. I remember in the Netherlands years ago seeing Porsche cop cars patrolling the highways. As a citizen, I like the idea of these heavily used vehicles not dumping all that carbon into the air.

There could be a new Easter egg for donut mode.

Kathy Applebaum | February 13, 2019

A quick google search for "Tesla police car" turns up lots of hits.

richardls | February 13, 2019
finman100 | February 13, 2019

donut mode, yes!
could collaborate with Matt Groening to include Homer Simpson sound bites (pun intended).

@SalisburySam, @Tuning In, Got it. So it's late one night and you wife texts you saying someone is breaking into your house. You call 911 and they tell you that they have an officer close by and his ETA is 30 minutes. You say, "30 minutes?" "Why 30 minutes?". The dispatcher responds, well we thought it was stupid to purchase P100Ds, so our entire fleet consists of Prii."

You really think that when you call them reporting that someone broke into your house, that they're really going call an APB out, guns drawn, and floor it at top speed to get to you? Oh someone's in trouble!, quick, put it into ludicrous mode, go as fast as the car can go, post haste! Don't slow down for anything! Dumb as F.

@Tuning In, I don't know where you live, but where I live if someone is in a house, there is a break and that person's life may be at risk, they actually act like law enforcement should and respond as fast as possible.

I guess you don't GAF about your wife. Oh obviously your TFS to be married.

Dumb As F, the police department having P100D's would not give me any more piece of mind if I were worried about the very remote possibility of a pending armed invasion of my house. Read the SOP of police departments before you keep believing what you see on TV and you'll see that whether they keep buying Dodge Chargers/Ford Explorers or a McLaren P1, they won't get to you any faster.

gmr6415 | February 14, 2019

@Tuning In, Since you seem to think you know, why don't you tell me about the crime rate where I live? How often is there an armed break in? How many of those are ended with the homeowner shooting the perpetrator? How many of those end up in stand-offs with law enforcement and hostages? While your at it why don't you tell me what the SOP for my local law enforcement's office states about high speed pursuit? What is their SOP on shooting at fleeing vehicles? Tell me, does my local law enforcement have a helicopter? Do I live in an urban area or a rural area? While you're at it, why don't you tell me what the ART is in my area?

jjgunn | February 14, 2019

"consider that only a cop in a Tesla will be able to catch a Tesla. "

It's pretty tough to outrun a radio

benichols | February 14, 2019

I think it funny that Tuning In signed his reply as “Dumb as F”. Couldn’t have said it better, LOL.

gmr6415 | February 14, 2019

@jjgunn, "It's pretty tough to outrun a radio"

That is if you live where there is another patrol car to receive the transmission and if that patrol car is close enough to get to where the person in pursuit is headed.

But according to Tune In a Prius will do just fine, when the closest patrol car is 30 miles away from where the person they are chasing is headed to.

We have quite a few municipalities in our area that don't have a police force, and have no facility to house one. They have hired that out to the Sheriff's office and there may not be a deputy anywhere near a crime or incident.

jordanrichard | February 14, 2019

Realistically a P100D would only get to a crime scene a minute or two sooner. Yes, I know, sometimes that can make a difference, but to town budgets, that would be a hard sell/justification. Police/first responders still have to slow down at intersections.

gballant4570 | February 14, 2019

Tuning In earned a spot on an ignore list or two I'm sure....

jimglas | February 14, 2019

The only way to catch a bad guy in a Tesla is a good guy in a Tesla

coleAK | February 14, 2019

I have a ton of family and friends in LE in 5 different states (CA, NV, MA, AK, WA). As per the discussion of car chases yes you can’t outrun a radio. As per the cars getting an officer to a BnE faster. Ain’t happening in most states, especially not the liberal ones. Why? Liability. How many false calls do they get? What happens if they are driving 100+mph in their p100D to get to you and cause a wreck with injuries/fatality? My best friend from my service days was SWAT Lieutenant for a major metropolitan area on the West Coast and his years after getting out of USMC. Now he has his own consulting firm for SWAT to help them develop SOPs and training. We were just talking about this when he was up here last month most departments have almost no justification for high speed driving.

That said I think a modified Tesla model X would be a pretty nice cruiser. The 3 and S Are just too small inside for all the extra stuff. And They would have to get rid of the stupid falcon doors for the X. With an EV wouldn’t have to worry about “keeping it running” at stops donthe battery dosnt go dead.