Forums

What panels did you get?

What panels did you get?

Just had solar installed and they used SC330 Panels - a relatively small 6kW system. Details about this panel (or any Tesla/Solarcity panels for that matter) is basically non-existent. Just curious about performance and if this is a typical panel - for northern CA in my case. If anyone has any specs or more info, please pass along!

Pkalhan | March 1, 2019

I do not have any specs, but did get my layout from the Tesla design team. From what I can see, I will be getting the 325kW panels for a 13kW system. From what I understand, the 330s are relatively new and some who were expecting to get the 325s got the 330s come installation day...nice little surprise. I hope I get that surprise too.

Mediumed | March 1, 2019

I got the Q.Peak Duo Blk-G5/SC 315 installed about a month ago. I opted for slightly lower output for a nicer looking panel being that the panels are visible in the front of the house. A personal preference. Hope you get your 330's. 13kw system is pretty big. I have a more average 6.3kw and a powerwall 2. System has been in service for only about a week now and I'm in love with it. Good luck!

Pkalhan | March 3, 2019

@mediumed yeah, I was wanting the powerwalls bad, but I heard the wait can be kinda long. I also wasn't sure if I should get a larger system or get a smaller system with two power walls. In PA, we have net metering and from what I said, with net metering, the need for power walls is not as big. Not sure if that statement is true if the power goes out lol. I wonder what the cost would have been for us if we got a 10kW system with two power walls. Wonder if that would have been just as beneficial for us. All I know is that between my wife and I, we use a WHOLE LOT of electricity and I have no idea how.

rob.kibler | March 7, 2019

From the label on the SC330 panels: https://imgur.com/a/ZiRThZj

Mediumed | March 9, 2019

@Pkalhan If your utility gives you one to one net metering then you dont really need a powerwall unless you are concerned with power outages. One to one meaning they give you back the electricity for the same rate that they charge you. You can always add a powerwall later anyway. We all know that its great to have solar panels but once they start kicking out power its like why didnt I do this sooner. Its great! Enjoy the new system.

Pkalhan | March 11, 2019

@Mediumed, yes, I believe that is what PA has which is why everyone was informing me I do not need the powerwalls. You are also correct, I can also get them sometime down the road. My Tesla account has now updated stating that someone will be contacting me in 1-3 days to schedule installation. Getting closer!!! :)

Now lets hope for the 330s :)

Pkalhan | March 11, 2019

update: spoke to my Tesla Adviser, she informed me that on my Tesla Account, there is a glitch on the status of my project as it is not taking into account that we are still waiting on my electric company's approval. We got the permit from the city...still needing my utility company's permit...UGH.

nwfan | March 12, 2019

I have (25) 360 and (20) 370w - 72 cell monocrystalline Panels mfgr by Canadian Company Silfab.
Each of my panels are connected to 45 Enphase IQ6+ microinverters. System size is 16.4kw.

I needed microinverters installed due to shading issues and design of my house.
Tesla was not able to provide microinverters and I went with a local DFW installer
who was able to install what I wanted.

I'm on my 3rd year with the system. I upgraded from 10.8kw to 16.4kw last June
after March 2018 delivery of my 2nd Tesla vehicle. Needed the extra panels
for charging 2 cars (S and 3). I have a 16kw Sonnen battery.
Wanted to purchase 2 Tesla Powerwalls. But after Hurricane Maria, Tesla was
not able to delivery them. My installer recommended LG or Sonnen battery as an
alternative. I choose the Sonnen unit. It's expensive, but highly recommendrd. Sonnen
is now owned by Shell. My last electric bill was $1.41. That's providing all my household
load requirements and charging 2 cars. Last summer, my bill never was higher than $2.00.
During Winter and Spring I'm able to bank excess power for use during hot TX summers.

Pkalhan | March 25, 2019

I am getting the 330s :). They started installing today and should be done tomorrow.

jajabor | March 26, 2019

The specs are in the system design document. Ask Tesla to provide you the design document they submitted to the city for permit.

ICEMELT | March 29, 2019

I am in NJ and just entering the research phase to go solar. I got my M3 delivered last Dec and waiting for usage numbers during summer.

Is one to one charge back a utility company deal or a state mandate?

Pkalhan | March 29, 2019

If "one to one charge back" you mean Net Metering, I believe that is a state thing...at least in PA it is.

Mediumed | March 30, 2019
briancarltonking | April 1, 2019

We are having our 10.89kW system installed on Thursday. We are scheduled to get the 325W panels and two power wall 2s. We are excited to finally be able to run during a power outage which, by my luck, will never happen again. At least we will be doing something to conserve energy and eventually start saving money as the cost of electricity keeps going up every year.

NJturtlePower | April 10, 2019

Tesla SC330 Solar Panel Specs copied from my quote....

https://i.imgur.com/Xo6GLJr.jpg

trident3 | April 11, 2019

nwfan, any chance of seeing your roof in the DFW area. I am west of DFW ARPT. Would like info from someone who has installed the panels.

vvantonov81 | April 30, 2019

So, what decision did you take?

Nightstick | January 8, 2020

So can someone comment or elaborate, I have the option of using the Hanwha Q CELLS Q.PEAK DUO-G5 panels and the Solar Edge Inverter. Are these the products most are going with, Tesla will be installing a 24 panel 7.56kw two powerwall system in my home. Any changes or recommendations would be helpful.

Patrick | January 9, 2020

We just installed the same panels with a 10 kW SolarEdge inverter. The panels look great on the roof and early generation results are good.

Patrick | January 9, 2020

We went with 30 panels and 3 Powerwalls.

PapaSmurf | January 9, 2020

@Nightstick,
The Q Cells (315 watts) are very attractive looking. There are no visible lines from the street level. It is just black and sleek. Then with the side curtains, none of the metal railing is visible from the street level.

We have 52 of the the Q Cells for a 16.38 kW system.

Search Google images for houses with Q Cells 315 watts. They look way better than most of the other panels.

In terms of energy output, it is all relative to price. 315 is cheaper than 330. If you want more power, just add some more of the 315 watt panels.

bp | January 9, 2020

We went with 44 350W LG panels and 4 PowerWalls.

infofiles | January 9, 2020

priced Tesla Solar for 7.7KW system, was quoted $20,546 (after 26% ITC), if hidden conduits required add $1500 more. Panel quoted were Panasonic 315W, although now Tesla is installing cheap hanwa I am booked for Panasonic. I also tried other manufacturers for same system and here is what I got:
Sunpower - $28000

I got a killer quote for LG from reputable installer in So Cal,
LG NeON R LG375Q1C-V5 375w Mono Solar Panels, 21.7% efficiency
These have built in brand new LG microinvertors with 98% efficiency.
25 yrs parts, labor, performance warranty from LG, 25 yrs warranty from installer.
for 9KW system I am getting $2.78/W before ITC.

Tesla with hidden conduits is at $2.9.watt.

It looks like no brainer to pursue LG, thinking about doing 9KW system. Thoughts?

bp | January 10, 2020

When we placed the order for our system with a Tesla-approved installer, the LG 350W panels were the highest capacity that could be provided before year-end (when the 30% tax credit expired).

If the 375 W panels are available now, would recommend to go with them - and get the higher power per panel.

We also went with hidden conduits - and our installation looks great. In the garage, the 4 PowerWalls are mounted (in two stacks) with no visible wiring, since the cabling goes through the wall behind the PowerWalls. And for our roof solar panels (in 4 sections), the cables are sent into the attic and then down the side of the house with a conduit going out of the attic under the eave. We had the installer paint the conduit going down the 2 story outside wall in the same color as the stucco. Compared to some other solar panel installations in our area (with exposed conduits on the roof, and with raw metal conduit going down the roof, over the gutter and down the side of the house, our installation looks like it was put in when the house was built - and not tacked on afterward.

gregbrew | January 10, 2020

Point of clarification: The 30% Federal tax credit didn't "expire" completely. It was simply reduced to 26% for 2020. It will expire completely (for residential) on January 1, 2022.

Good to hear that you got a clean install. If the homeowner doesn't do their due diligence, they can end up with ugly conduit running everywhere. My PW installers were going to wrap my chimney with a conduit until I objected and told him not only "no", but "hey-ell no!" I pointed out that there was an empty 1" conduit (in the wall) that went from the top of my main panel into the attic, where the rest of the run to the PW could be hidden. I put the conduit there specifically for this future purpose when I remodeled.

It's crazy what people will allow installers of PV, cable TV and telephone lines to do to their million-dollar plus homes.

infofiles | January 15, 2020

Correction,

system I am going with is LG NeON R LG375A1C-V5 375w not Q1C as stated before, Mono Solar Panels, 21.7% efficiency
These have built in brand new LG microinvertors with 98% efficiency.
25 yrs parts, labor, performance warranty from LG, 25 yrs warranty from installer.
for 9KW system I am getting $2.78/W before ITC.

Patrick | January 15, 2020

Those LG panels sound really nice In $2.78 per watt is a good price. Thanks for sharing the info - will do a little more research for future projects.

infofiles | January 17, 2020

Didnt realize that energysage had $250 promotion on LG if I get it installed using their network. this literally brought down my cost/watt to $2.75 for LG's latest LG NeON R LG375A1C-V5 375w Panels with 21.7% efficiency and their microinverters that are built in are 98% efficient.

toshaldudhwala | January 22, 2020

I just had my solar panels installed right after Christmas. I didn't realize that you have an option to choose different panels (and invertor). I just went the default option they provided i.e Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 / SC 310-320 and Delta Invertor.

infofiles | January 22, 2020

@toshaldudhwala, I did not went with Tesla after pricing and comparing what other quotes were on the table.

toshaldudhwala | January 22, 2020

@infofiles, that's good. i had no option. Tesla was the cheapest but more importantly, they were the only one who agreed to install panels without upgrading my main panel from 100amp to 200amp. the cost to upgrade was $3k.

dragon_summie | January 28, 2020

@Patrick
How did you get the 30 panels? what size of your system for your Hanwha Q Cell, Peak DuoG5 panels. Tesla told me I can either do 36 panels or 48, I am trying to get them install 42panels!

dragon_summie | January 28, 2020

@PapaSmurf
How did you get them to install 52 of the Q cells? Tesla told me they dont customize system anymore so most I can get is 48panels