Forums

Yellow Tinge Border on Main Display -- AGAIN?

Yellow Tinge Border on Main Display -- AGAIN?

Replaced under warranty early last year, and just noticed same problem today. Anyone else experience this multiple times? Hope it is fixed for keeps before warranty runs out. 90D delivered 12/16.

NKYTA | March 1, 2019

kk

Munka | March 1, 2019

They have a new part coming later this year that doesn't have this issue

RedJ | March 2, 2019

I’ve had my MCU replaced twice in 2 years and it’s returned a 3rd time. At this point they won’t replace it anymore until the supplier has the issue fixed. That’s expected sometime this summer.

My car’s about to go out of warranty (>50k mi) so I called the service center and had them document the issue without replacing it. They said that they’ll replace it when the fix is available regardless of warranty status

patrick40363 | March 2, 2019

Just had a 2018 75D loaner with the same problem.

pnajar | March 2, 2019

What I’ve noticed is under bright sunlight I can see a yellow band on the edges of the center screen. Under normal driving during daylight or night driving I can’t, or at least don’t notice, the yellow band.

plugzin | March 2, 2019

Seems I should wait until later this year to get it resolved. I should be good under warranty until then.

Silver2K | March 2, 2019

I was told the issue has not been resolved at OEM level by my service ranger.

Be patient

Craig1965 | March 2, 2019

Yeah, don't bother getting a new screen until the defect is fixed. My screen was perfect, then as soon as they removed it to fix the modem, my screen instantly got the yellow picture frame border. It is because the glue used turns yellow when any humidy/moisture hits it. My car was serviced outside on a humid/rainy day. I am waiting for the new part.

Uncle Paul | March 3, 2019

What is the big problem with a simple yellow band. Don't believe it really effects anything.

Makes sense to not do anything until a permenant solution is available.

Some have reported damage done when getting their screens replaces. Might be better to just leave it alone.

thomaslee731 | March 17, 2019

@Uncle Paul , I agree with you, The tech always fix something and then damage other parts, I had 2 bad experience with them so far ,so frustrating. However, if we don't fix the screen, it may affect the resale value of the car...... sigh.... either way is bad...

diamonds2 | March 18, 2019

I also had an MCU with yellow border replaced. But within 6 months the new one had the same issue. My SC in Las Vegas says that an updated version is due out this summer and they will replace my second defective unit then.

jordanrichard | March 18, 2019

Perhaps this is a batch of certain screens issue because I am 5 yrs in, and no screen issues.

triccobene | March 19, 2019

@Jordanrichard, the mobile tech who came out to replace my screen in January told me that the older screens sometimes developed leaks, and this created a real mess if it happened (he said from firsthand experience). In response to this, Tesla switched to another screen that used a stronger adhesive, which seemed to solve the leak problem, but had a tendency to turn yellow over time. My 90D was built in May 2017, but it looks like the issue started showing up in 2016 builds. As other have said, there doesn't appear to be any impact to functionality of the screen. It just has an ugly, cigarette stain color around the edge.

Ultimately, he did not replace my screen because he said it would just happen again until they switched to a new screen, and he had no idea on when the new screen would be available. Another example of poor communication. When I called Service in December, based on reports on this forum, I specifically asked if they were replacing screens for this issue, or if they were still waiting for a permanent fix. They said they would replace the screen now, which was the opposite message that I got from the mobile tech. It ended up being a waste of time for both of us.

Craig1965 | March 19, 2019

I was told they will have non-defective screens in Spring and replace them. No point in replacing now with glue that turns yellow. I just sure hope Tesla is smart enough to get free screens from the defective ones or sues the manufacturer to recover the lost cost of replacing them for us. I would hate to have the new buyers having an increase in price because they need to replace 100,000 screens.

jenean | April 29, 2019

Right .... Non-yellowing screen is just around the corner. This spring ... even as Summer now approaches. (sigh) Let's see, what else is just around the corner that we've been promised, for our 6 figure MX. ½ shafts with no shutter? check. Windshield with no ghosting? Sales are down. Hmmm - wonder why.

taylorgmoody | May 9, 2019

I'm just now experiencing the yellow border on my Oct 2017 Model S 75. Has anyone heard an update on when the new screens will be coming in?

Hammonddave | May 9, 2019

Last I heard "late summer".

Joenyc | July 1, 2019

Mobile tech wanted to charge me 1300 to replace the screw-in on my model X p100D . I told him he better replace it and not waiting 4 months for a maybe. What is happening with Tesla not backing their product .

Joenyc | July 1, 2019

Mobile tech wanted to charge me 1300 to replace the screw-in on my model X p100D . I told him he better replace it for free under warranty and not waiting 4 months for a maybe. What is happening with Tesla not backing their product .

dougk71 | July 2, 2019

I suspect those of us with FSD on order will have the yellow border issue and the new FSD hardware installed at the same time. The yellowing and the FSD chip are independent things but it most likely will save Tesla some time to do both at once.

ruffrider_az | July 2, 2019

Talked to a Tesla service technician about this problem and he said they are no longer replacing the touch screen until they have been able to determine the source of the problem and replace it with on that will work permanently.

Rgravel1 | July 29, 2019

I think it would also make sense for them to retrofit the MCU1 to MCU2 at the same time along with the HW3 for FSD purchases.

ibystk | July 29, 2019

i was told today it is not covered under warranty as it does not effect the use of the screen. So i can buy a new version of the screen that doesn't have the issue. Seems like a crappy answer doe a $100k 18 month old car. Anyone else receiving this response?

TeslaTap.com | July 30, 2019

@ibystk - Only if you're in a rush to have it fixed. Tesla is working on a non-replacement fix - something like a UV fixture that cures it. They hope to roll it out before the end of the year. See @Boonedocks links above.

grins.va | July 31, 2019

I went to the Tysons Corner SvC yesterday and was told they expect the fix hardware in the shop within two months. That will be in time for my third year service which is planned for December.

Tropopause | July 31, 2019

Third year service???

ALSET | July 31, 2019

I'm curious for the people that have the yellow border issue versus the people who don't...where do you all live? If this is heat related I'm guessing the majority of cars in say Las Vegas or Miami have the borders and people up in Alaska probably don't? How much would a windshield screen when you're parked help prevent this issue?

TTownRedTesla | July 31, 2019

I noticed the yellow border developing in my 6 month old Model S this evening. I normally don't drive the car to work but did yesterday. It was outside for half the day in 106 degree weather with the cabin overheat protection enabled. I'm disappointed to see this as I hoped the car was new enough to have a screen that didn't have this problem. I would suspect that it is heat related.

Yodrak. | July 31, 2019

I'm starting to see the yellow border in my May 2018 S. It's not always noticeable, so I'm not concerned yet.

acerfacer | July 31, 2019

I live in the Pacific Northwest. My 2018 S 100D's border was fine until a recent trip to AZ. On the return trip, I was supercharging in Indio, CA (102F outdoors) and watched the yellow border appear right before my eyes. Sure seems heat related to me. My SvC is keeping a list but unsure when the UV removal gizmo will return. It's currently "on tour" for training SvC staff. I was told that they can repair about 3 cars per day. The procedure takes 3+ hours including setup and take down of equipment.

grins.va | August 1, 2019

@Tropo - yup, third year service. When I bought my P100D in 2016 I purchased the “4-Year Maintenance Plan” which provides four annual service inspections performed every 12 months or 12,500 miles. While the odd year services are less than the even years I also will have my airbag replaced with the main display repair done. If FSD upgrade is available by then I will have that done as well. Not holding my breath on that one.

And yes, my SvC honors my prepaid service plan and will perform all the standard services. Will I have to get a Uber voucher? Unfortunately yes.

Tropopause | August 1, 2019

grins,

Thanks for the update.

tjhlaw | August 15, 2019

Here we go again. Center Display Screen replaced in November 2018. The yellow band is back.

rednairb | August 15, 2019

I live in Tucson, AZ, and my car is in the garage 85-90% of the time, since I mostly work from home. I also have clear UV tint on the front window, as well as all other windows tinted, and always put the sunshade in the window when parked outside. I also leave cabin overheat protection on. I just started noticing the yellow boarders within the last month. I have a Mar 2018 build.

Not going to worry about it until I hear from people that this supposed fix actually works, and the problem does not return after 6 months.

md_d | August 16, 2019

To spend money for a car this caliber should include better service. It's nearly impossible to speak w anybody.
I have the yellow lines and they give me a run around. This wis my second and LAST Tesla. Furthermore once the stocks bumps higher I'm out

croman | August 16, 2019

It is shameful that Tesla has fallen so far even Elon didn't realize they no longer do Tesla loaners anymore. Nevermind his crock about top of the line Teslas as loaners...

jerrykham | August 17, 2019

I had mine replaced last year in June. It is back and bigger than ever - if you look closely you even see it when the display has gone to night mode now. I was just in for the second year service two weeks ago and asked them about the supposed UV light / tool that temporarily "fixes" this. They said they expect to have it just prior to end of year and to check back around November.

sumitsekhri | August 17, 2019

I'm from Canada here - I was told today that the yellow'ed border around the display is not covered under warranty and would cost me ~$1500 CAD (using the UV method) or ~$5000 for a new display. It's something the service team is hoping to have Tesla cover it (at least once) but no dice for me.

Has anyone from Canada had it replaced recently? Has anyone had any success with having it replaced at no cost or is there always a cost?

sumitsekhri | August 17, 2019

I'm from Canada here - I was told today that the yellow'ed border around the display is not covered under warranty and would cost me ~$1500 CAD (using the UV method) or ~$5000 for a new display. It's something the service team is hoping to have Tesla cover it (at least once) but no dice for me.

Has anyone from Canada had it replaced recently? Has anyone had any success with having it replaced at no cost or is there always a cost?

TeslaTap.com | August 18, 2019

@sumitsekhri - no matter what you consider, I'd wait until they have a solution. Why waste money with a new display when it may have the same problem? Tesla seems to have a viable solution that is undergoing final testing and requires producing some equipment for each service center. It appears it will available at the end of the year now. From the little that has leaked out, that solution may be offered for free to all owners that are in warranty, and perhaps to all owners affected. Never heard of Tesla planning to charge customers for this solution, but if you want it fixed today, they will charge you for a new display.

To answer your question about replacement, a small number of owners in the USA did have it replaced under warranty back in early 2018. They stopped this when the replaced displays encountered the same problem.

nathan | September 6, 2019

I have a late 2016 Model S. I had the screen replaced once under warranty after owning the car about a year. Now it's back again - just out of warranty by about 3k miles.... I'm waiting to see what they say.

AIA304 | September 6, 2019

Have a 2015 MS and I have not seen any yellowing.

Wondering what your brightness level is set for the screens? Have ours @20% for day, @10% for night. Could the problem be those who have brightness up @80-100% ?

We bought a digital fluke therm gun for checking race tire temps when first exiting the racetrack in my ICE car.

On our MS, remember checking temp when the screens were on after car had been parked in garage for a couple hours. Fluke reported temp of close to 100 degrees F. Ambient temp outside was below 75 degrees.

Just a thought...

NKYTA | September 6, 2019

In car temperature on hot days is my guess. I cool a lot and no problems with AC compressor yet. COP always on.

philgrocks | September 8, 2019

I have my MCU display replaced once. Now the replacement 18 months later is MUCH worse. Yellow on all four edges.

Now I am also seeing yellow on bottom edges of instrument cluster display :-(. This is harder to see, but on a bright day, it is very obvious.

TeslaTap.com | September 9, 2019

@AIA304 - I don't know when the switchover in screen design occurred, but I'm about 95% sure 2015 cars don't have the issue. It started sometime in 2016 - perhaps with the refresh. On the flip side, some older cars have the bubbles issue, which doesn't occur on the newer 2016 displays. It is unclear if there was a version between 'bubbles" and "yellowing", but it's possible you have the best display without either issue.

jeffaajones | October 17, 2019

I have the yellow border issue and reported to Tesla. This was their horrible response. “Hello Jeff,

Some owners have shared concerns regarding a yellow border forming around the edges of the touchscreen. Tesla has reviewed these cases and determined this is a wear and cosmetic condition, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace the touchscreen under warranty. However, Tesla is in the process of releasing a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to reduce the yellowing condition.

As your car is still covered under warranty, Tesla will provide a one-time goodwill application of this procedure. More information on this procedure will be released soon, and please note that the treatment through this procedure will not remove the yellowing condition permanently. Alternatively, owners may pay to replace the touchscreen with the latest revision that is not susceptible to this condition.

As far as the issue with your trim goes our service center technician will be able to address that also.

For any additional questions you have regarding this process once further information has been released, your local Service Team will be able to best assist you.

Danuald W. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
https://www.tesla.com/support

I cannot even believe the BS answer that I was given. I have owned several Lexus, Infiniti and Toyota products with computer like screens. These cars have been between 3 and 10 years old and NONE of them ever had any degradation of the screens. My 2018 Model S developed this after owning the car for 5 months and 5000 miles. The car was always parked in the garage. If they do not permanently repair or replace my screen I am all for a class action lawsuit. I love my Model S but Tesla customer service ranks pretty close to ZERO on a scale of 1-10

Bighorn | October 17, 2019

Oh FFS

avesraggiana | October 17, 2019

+1 @Bighorn.

DRFLGD | October 17, 2019

Scheduled a visit with my SC for a charging issue (which, as I expected, turned out to be the Corded Mobile Connector, which is much smaller in diameter than my old one I must say) and later (but prior to the visit) added on fixing the yellow square band. Didn't realize it took 2-1/2 hours. In any case, it worked.

Pages