Forums

(SCE) Southern California Edison is having a rate change...(AGAIN)

(SCE) Southern California Edison is having a rate change...(AGAIN)

Just got a notice that SCE is changing the rates (again). My current plan is now unavailable, but I will continue to be "grandfathered" till they make me change maybe in 2020. Worth reading for those with SCE!

Tuning In | March 6, 2019

Yes, they are shifting the time of use rates, but it makes sense. The high level of Solar production shifted mornings to super off peak. I’m still on the old tiered program and prefer it that way.

Teslanene | March 6, 2019

PG&E also shifting their time of use rate 1hr later starting in 2020

WardT | March 7, 2019

I recently changed from the standard SCE tiered rate to a TOU rate to save money. I don’t think I will save that much money, but when I modeled my use with Excel for the last year with my solar panels and Tesla home charging it showed a slight benefit. I do have a balanced solar capacity meaning my consumption equals my solar generation over the year. They say I can switch back if after a year it was more expensive. Peak rates are 2 PM to 8 PM. Hmm, wonder how that changes if CA goes through with staying on “Daylight Savings Time”?

OCModel3 | March 7, 2019

I saw that after I had just switched into the TOU-D-B plan last week before it expired. There is now a TOU-Prime plan that looks pretty good but you have to have an EV or some other certified energy saver. Big difference is the peak rate time has changed from 2-8 (my plan) to 4-9 on the new plan.

Having had my Tesla wall connector now for a month, it is clear that will be the biggest user, and if I wait until after 10 PM (easy to set up the charging on the car that way), the charging is cheaper on my current plan at 12c than the 13c on the new plan. But I really like the fact that SCE (and maybe other utilities) are recognizing there is a significant shift in EV car buying and are attempting to incent us to charge at night for savings. Not sure how much we will save given the high AC rates we will face after 2PM but I will monitor it closely.

Tuning In | March 7, 2019

I did the math with my Solar panels being south facing and the numbers don't work out for me. Now for most of the solar production hours, I'd be super off-peak.

I never hit Tier 2 anyhow. If you were west facing, I could imagine TOU would be favorable, which is the reasoning behind installing the west facing.

@OCModel3 I don't think that the driver of the peak time change is EV's. It's that there is so much solar production in CA that the cheapest power comes from there. When 4-9 comes around, Solar production is down, demand goes up as people go home and nat gas plants are the primary source of power. By 10 pm, A/C usage declines a lot as well as appliance usage.

At some point in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if 10pm-8am when electricity is produced using nat gas is more expensive than 8am-1pm produced using solar.

beaver | March 7, 2019

What's the change? Anyone have a link? This thread is so vague, I just need to know if I can keep charging at $0.13 per kWH from 9pm-12pm daily. Thanks!

Got to the SCE website. It shows the old rates and the new. The bad news is that you're going to be paying more. There are no plans that let you charge at 13 cents per kwh. There is no mention of grandfathering past plans and CPUC always sides with the utilities.

OCModel3 | March 7, 2019

I think you are grandfathered if you are on the tier plan and they cannot force you to go to TOU. And I don't think you have to change to a different TOU, but if you decide to change plans, then you must go with the new options. The SCE rep said the state is trying to get them to convert more people on the TOU plans, and the solar power explanation above makes sense as to why they are doing it.

For those on the SCE Tier plans, what I found with just one month of charging at home was that we would automatically move into Tier Two and most likely be in the High Use bucket toward the end of the month. And that rate is like 37c...we let the car sit six days without charging. God help us come Summer time when we hit the High Use in July and August before we had the Tesla. So that's why I moved to TOU at 12c for the night charging.

beaver | March 7, 2019

My rate doesn't appear to be changing, I have TOU-EV-1. This is now closed to new customers, unfortunately. But the pricing doesn't appear to be changing, still $0.13 off peak. There is a new TOU-Prime open until April 30 2019 that has the same rates and applies to more electrical devices than just EVs.

https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/Time-Of-Use-Residential-Rate-Plans

What am I missing? Please share links, the SCE website sucks.

You're looking at what everyone else is. Your rates will not go up overnight. It will at some point in the future when they force you off of your existing plan.

gaboksi | March 7, 2019

@epostby thanks for the link!!! I just signed up for TOU-PRIME. Only two types of rate: summer:9pm to 4pm@$0.13;4pm to 9pm@$.37 basically you can charge from 9pm to 4pm @$.13 any day of the year!!!

rxlawdude | March 7, 2019

Wow, those rates are ridiculous. Thank the stars I'm on TOU-D-B, which (was) by far the best deal for those with EVs.

rxlawdude | March 7, 2019

@gaboski, but PRIME totally destroys the ROI for solar systems, artificially paying crappy rates for net generation during peak solar times.

Digg | March 19, 2019

I am on TOU-D-B but looks like if we want to move to TOU-Prime, the plan most like D-B, we can’t wait until 2020 but have to switch by April 30, 2019.

beaver | March 19, 2019

TOU-D-B plan has me laughing so hard, does it come with aviators and spinners?

stopnair | March 19, 2019

I am just waiting for M3 delivery before signing up for tou-prime which is a great deal..

slingshot18 | March 19, 2019

For environmental reasons, moving off peak to daylight hours is the right thing to do. EV owners SHOULD charge when solar has the highest contribution to the system. Charging your car at night, unless off solar powered battery, is worse that charging during the day off solar, because night electricity is not from renewable sources.

rxlawdude | March 19, 2019

@epostby, why do you laugh at TOU-D-B? Seems a lot cheaper than PRIME most of the time, especially on weekends.

RES IPSA | March 19, 2019

Just switch the times you run your appliances (except for the frig of course). My TOU plan saves me about $30 over last year's tiered plan. Plus, I fill up my M3 at 9 cents a kw/hr. That saves me about $150 a month over premium gas for my previous ICE.

RES IPSA | March 19, 2019

$30 a month of savings on my total electrical bill (including the 230-250 kW/hrs used to charge my car). I do not have solar since I live in a canyon.

beaver | March 19, 2019

@rxlawdude
DB makes me think of douche bag, SCE people are having a good chuckle at us. I agree old TOU pricing rocks, I hope they let me keep EV-1 forever

rxlawdude | March 19, 2019

Ah, @beaver, I was slow on the uptake. Get it now.

Though SCE and Investor Owned Utilities in general are douchebags.

beaver | September 12, 2019

A few SCE questions since I am considering Tesla’s solar panel rental program.
I am on Tiered for my house and grandfathered TOU-EV-1 today with a dedicated meter.
If I add solar I have to switch my house account to TOU for sure. Questions:
1. I can keep my EV-1 plan unchanged right?
2. If my panels fail or I give up and have Tesla remove them, can I switch back to Tiered pricing? If not my monthly bill will skyrocket from $150 to $400 due to terribly painful rates on TOU from 4-8pm. I think I have to wait a year on the TOU plan before switching, is that true? If so this scares me against adding solar. I will break even at best with 7.5 kW system and likely have to pay $500 more per year even if the system works perfectly.