Forums

Estimated Delivery: 2-4 weeks is not accurate

Estimated Delivery: 2-4 weeks is not accurate

Please be aware tesla.com Estimated Delivery: 2-4 weeks is not accurate.
I don't know why they show it on their site. They should take it off before new customers complain.

ptbroderick | August 21, 2019

Ordered 8/16 , LR AWD, white exterior, black interior, 18” wheels .. still waiting on the VIN ... Car will have to get all the way to Jacksonville and it seems that everyone wants white.

juangodinez94 | August 21, 2019

Ordered 8/2/19 Long Range AWD white exterior, black interior, 18” wheels. Got an E-Mail stating I have to wait an additional 4-6 weeks. Estimated time was within 2 weeks.

azbrit | August 22, 2019

I was notified my car was ready for delivery 3 days after placing the order. I was not ready so had to delay picking it up for almost 2 weeks. Despite letting Tesla know why the car could not be delivered immediately they continued to send me appointments. It did get quite annoying almost harassment and I came close to canceling the order, extremely close. Glad I did not though.

pete-nod | August 22, 2019

Ordered my LR AWD, white/solid black, on Saturday 8/10/19 just after 6pm. Received notification othe morning of 8/19/19 that my car was ready and it was time to schedule delivery. Got my VIN# the afternoon of 8/21/19 and have a delivery appt. for early afternoon on 8/28/19 (only because I couldn't do the 27th). Order to delivery was estimated at 3 weeks. a few hours shy of 18 days from start to finish exceeded my expectations.

SnowZA | August 22, 2019

I ordered mine (SR+ here in the Netherlands) on the 1st of May. Finally got my delivery appointment notification yesterday - I will be collecting it on the 2nd of September. Interestingly, that was exactly their estimated delivery date given to me back in May, so while I would have liked it quicker, I can't really complain too much...

jon | August 22, 2019

Ordered M3P with upgrade performance pack and white interior on 12th July. Was told by salesman delivery mid to end August. Just finally managed to get through to UK delivery team (been trying for a week now) and have been told end September at the earliest but most likely mid-October! Not impressed as my current PHEV was due to go back 5th September leaving me without a car.

SnowZA | August 22, 2019

@jon my current car was also due to go back end of last month, but I managed to make an arrangement with the lease company to allow me to continue using it until the new car is delivered.

jon | August 22, 2019

Thanks @SnowZA. Thank fully I have managed to do the same. As soon as I mentioned my next car was a Tesla the lease company telesales person was quite understanding. I don't think I was the first person with this problem! Currently on a rolling 1 month lease contract.

pdxgolfnut | August 22, 2019

Riddle me this...How is it that a car company with by far the latest technology, can't update the consumer with the status of their order? I remember in 1969, my dad ordered a Suburban. I remember going down to the train tracks, and he pointed our car out on the train. How could he know that then, and we can't know where our car is 50 years later? Makes no sense!

juangodinez94 | August 22, 2019

@pete-nod
What city, state did you place your order out of?

pdxgolfnut | August 22, 2019

Portland, Oregon. LR, AWD, White, 18’ Wheels

Khuu0069 | August 22, 2019

I am the frustrated son of my mama who will be the future owner of a tesla. What I am frustrated about is the delivery of the car is supposed to only take 10 - 14 days. However my hopes have been dashed and unfortunately i'll be sent back to my dads before I get a chance to see it. I guess I have to wait another 10 months before I will see the car (ಥ_ʖಥ)

ReD eXiLe ms us | August 22, 2019

PART I

pdxgolfnut: WHAT WHERE WHEN HOW WHY

"How could he know that then, and we can't know where our car is 50 years later?"

The short form: Because Tesla may not be allowed to tell you that information, legally. Crony Capitalism has far to much influence over government.

The long form: Your Father may have 'ordered' a car, but he almost certainly did so through an 'independent franchised dealership'. He placed his order with them. They placed an order with the Manufacturer. At that time, your Father would NOT have been allowed to place his order directly with the manufacturer himself, if acting as a private citizen and consumer. If he happened to be an owner or partner of an 'independent franchised dealership' he may have been able to order on his own behalf, directly from the automobile manufacturer.

PART II

Back then, there were laws preventing automobile manufacturers from selling directly to individual consumers. Those are typically called 'Franchise Laws'. They vary State-by-State and are purposely NOT the same as the laws that govern other industries, like restaurants, cleaning services, insurance companies, or real estate firms. And in the last fifty years, particularly in the past six years of Tesla's unprecedented sales success in the U.S., those Franchise laws governing the sale of NEW cars have grown stronger and stronger, even more restrictive, even eliminating choices once offered to automobile manufacturers.

Franchise Laws were developed specifically to protect 'independent franchised dealerships' who contacted their local representatives in State government to complain about the notion of an automobile manufacturer coming to the town/territory they had worked hard to market and promote a brand in, then building a manufacturer owned facility in the same area after demand and brand interest had grown, but commenced to selling vehicles at rock bottom prices they couldn't match profitably. Thing is, in my research, I've found numerous accusations of this behavior, but found no evidence of it actually happening. I think this is mostly a series of laws that were set up as a preventive measure, 'just in case' an automobile manufacturer got a wise idea to pull some shady business. The result has been that since automobile manufacturers tend to assume they can't sell direct from the outset, they never try. There is also a provision that began being added to Franchise Law starting around forty years ago that made it so any automobile manufacturer that signed a Franchise Agreement, essentually had to use 'independent franchised dealerships' in perpetuity, that means FOREVER.

PART III

Essentially, once an automobile manufacturer accepts 'independent franchised dealerships', it is a one way door, a trap, and there is absolutely no escape beyond the automobile manufacturer's own bankruptcy. Even if it turns out to be a crappy location in a bad part of the State, run by horrible businessmen, who eventually go out of business themselves, they MUST be replaced by ANOTHER 'independent franchised dealership' in short order. The automobile manufacturer is NOT allowed to permanently take over sales and distribution themselves. They also aren't allowed to close old sites or add new locations or to move existing sites without being granted permission by a panel of other 'independent franchised dealerships'. And, unlike MacDonald's, automobile manufacturers are NOT allowed to own the property where a dealership operates or to own any interest in the dealership at all. Effectively, the business must be entirely 'INDEPENDENT' and SEPARATE from the automobile manufacturer in all ways.

OK. I covered all this to let you know the background, so I could get to the point. Most States had Franchise Laws that offered a choice to automobile manufacturers, at least until 2013. The choice was rather straightforward at first. They could sell direct OR they could use 'independent franchised dealerships' BUT they couldn't do BOTH. Decades ago, as new companies from places like Japan and Korea entered the U.S., they chose to use 'independent franchised dealerships', from that point on they were locked into using them perpetually. For a very long time, no one challenged what many considered the status quo -- all NEW cars were sold through 'independent franchised dealerships'. Period. Even boutique brands selling limited edition expensive bespoke sports cars 'for the RICH!' chose to sell their low volume high price cars using 'independent franchised dealerships'. But the dealership organizations all forgot there was not an all encompassing national mandate that prevented direct sales, they forgot that there was a 'choice' at all. They simply assumed that no one would ever go through the hassle of selling direct. They assumed that anyone entering the U.S. automotive market would automatically take advantage of their expertise, their market knowledge, their... 'services'.

PART IV

Then came Tesla.

At first, no one noticed. Founded in 2003, five years passed before the first deliveries were made in 2008. It took three years to sell around ~2,600 cars worldwide. Most States that required a license to sell cars graciously granted Tesla one upon finding out they had no franchises to compete against, fairly or otherwise, at all. It was perfectly legal to exercise the choice to sell direct. Tesla was considered a strange, radical, crazy boutique manufacturer of expensive bespoke electric cars -- 'Toys, for the RICH!', so their low volume continued to go unnoticed, without challenges, legal or regulatory.

Then the Tesla Model S was released in 2012. In the last 7 months of the year they Delivered about ~2,600 cars in the U.S. The same quantity they had Delivered of the Tesla Roadster worldwide over the course of three years. A massive relative growth in sales volume and pace.

When the Model S was unveiled in 2009, Tesla accepted Reservations for it at $5,000-to-$40,000 each. Over the course of three years they compiled on the order of 10,000 Reservations. It was Released in June 2012 and saw over 2,500 Deliveries to U.S. customers before the end of the year. By January 2013, Tesla had not diminished their Reservations to ~7,500 remaining, they had instead grown to over 13,000.

PART V

As the year progressed, some of those who worked at 'independent franchised dealerships' across the nation began to notice that for some reason it was taking longer than usual to sell their high end flagship models than in previous years. They didn't know why things were going so slowly for them. Machines that had been snatched up within weeks before were now languishing on the showroom floor for months and months.

They made cold calls to previous customers, especially the whales that changed cars with the weather, or whenever the 'old' one got dirty... They were astonished to learn from many of them that they had 'ordered' an electric car from a new company called 'Tesla' and were awaiting Delivery, hopefully within 1-to-3 months. They were a bit intrigued that people would order a car sight unseen through the internet instead of coming to buy direct off the lot at a local Mercedes-Benz, BMW, AUDI, or Porsche dealership. They checked sales statistics and sure enough, Tesla Model S was leading sales among large flagship vehicles in the U.S. through the first two quarters of 2013. They became curious and decided to contact the dealerships that were selling this hot new item. They wanted to learn how they really fared with manufacturer relations and find out if it was worth it to pursue selling the brand themselves. How much did it cost to get a Tesla franchise? How long did it take? How reasonable were they to deal with? How were interactions and revenue from maintenance and repairs? The usual stuff.

PART VI

Then, to their absolute horror they learned Tesla didn't have any franchises at all. None. They were selling direct to end users. What? Was that legal? There oughtta be a law! Wait, I think there IS a law. But, upon further examination it was learned that no, a loophole existed. Tesla could sell direct because they hadn't signed on to any franchise deals. So as long as they hadn't broken or formed any franchise agreements they could receive a dealers license themselves and keep selling direct.

In Texas, where the State Assembly only met once every two years, it was decided that instead of getting politicians on the record with votes that expressly forbade only one auto manufacturer from selling a popular desirable expensive zero emissions clean energy vehicle it would be best to apply legal pressure to Tesla not by changing the law but by changing the means by which regulators interpreted existing law. So, Tesla was denied a renewal of their existing dealer license in Texas, basically with no more explanation than they should try to get a waiver through lobbying the State Assembly. Mysteriously, the Texas State Assembly 'ran out of time' to discuss, debate, or vote on Tesla favorable legislation in 2013, 2015, 2017, and probably again in 2019. The idea was, I think, that by NOT granting Tesla a dealer license no one in Texas would be able to buy one of their cars so Tesla would have to give in give up and choose one of the hundreds of 'independent franchised dealerships' in the State to represent their brand, thereby being tied to the 'franchised dealership system' in perpetuity.

PART VII

Nope. More faulty logic. They forgot about the Constitution of the United States. Specifically, the Implied Interstate Commerce Clause, which allows someone from one State to freely buy from someone in any other State without restriction. This means that while the Great State of Texas may bar Tesla from selling within its own boarders the State cannot prevent its citizens from purchasing a legal product in another State or over the internet.

'Why Texas Bans the sale of Tesla Cars | ABC -- Nightline' (4:20)
https://youtu.be/fp2mjvXAlDM

What? I warned you all above this would be LONG. Geez.

pete-nod | August 23, 2019

Dedham Massachusetts

ReD eXiLe ms us | August 23, 2019
jehle2000 | August 24, 2019

WTF Tesla, ordered on 7/29 LR white 18" wheels Black interior. Just received a text today that it will be 3-4 MORE weeks before my car will be ready. Very disappointed with my experience so far - no contact from Tesla until today. Not even an update to explain why it will be 2 months to have a vehicle ready. Am considering cancelling my order.

juangodinez94 | August 24, 2019

@jehle2000
I feel your pain I ordered mine August 2nd and was told the same thing on Tuesday. Then today I got the text saying I can pick up Monday at 1030am. Just hang in there

Noper | August 25, 2019

The dealership system is broken and should go away. I will enjoy watching them squirm.

j6k80 | August 25, 2019

I ordered my white performance with black interior on 7/31/19 and still no vin number yet.

Daoetminh | August 25, 2019

Ordered August 3 a M3 LR 19” white with interior white. Received my car yesterday August 24. Very happy with the car.

scott | August 25, 2019

I ordered a white M3 LR with white interior on 7/27 and just got a text yesterday that says they're "waiting for a few finishing touches to be made" and to "expect another 3-4 weeks".....really????? This is after I had a scheduled pickup on 8/2 and the day before pickup I got a text letting me know that the vehicle was no longer available.

MattBrownTX | August 25, 2019

Ordered 7/26, white & white, long range was, Texas.
Vin assigned: August 20th
Car is in transit, with current delivery dat Sept 2nd

Once my account changed to payment due on August 20th. It required me calling them to get my Purchase Agreement and Vin. And several calls after to keep it moving a long....

Hope that is helpful.

pdxgolfnut | August 26, 2019

Got a text this weekend. “Thank you for ordering your Model 3! We are waiting for a few finishing touches to be made on your vehicle. Please expect another 3-4 weeks before we reach out to schedule you for delivery.”
Crap!

ptbroderick | August 27, 2019

Ordered 8/16 as I mentioned above. I was told today, that it should be 3-4 weeks from then. Then, why does the website still say within 2 weeks?

dprmoore | August 27, 2019

Ordered M3 black on black, long range, from WA on 08/15

No word, no vin, no nothing. My contact at the company texted me today to remind me to upload insurance. I texted back that I needed a VIN first, and do they have an estimate as to when that would be since I'm almost 2 weeks from ordering?

Crickets.

I didn't really expect delivery in 2 weeks, but I would really, really appreciate being kept in the loop. Just a text or email once a week would be wonderful. Hopefully, it will be here by the end of Sept. Got a road trip planned. :)

darilds | August 27, 2019

Ordered an SR+ at the beginning of August. It was delivered two weeks to the day. I received my VIN the day before it was delivered.

camtraina3 | August 28, 2019

Comment was deleted? Ordered 8/22 and no communications since then. Horrible experience so far.

zoeism | August 28, 2019

I ordered my M3 Long Range white exterior, white interior on 7/29/19. On 8/9/19, received a call from the delivery team saying the delivery will be delayed for another 2-3 weeks due to my configuration, mainly the white on white. On 8/23/19, received a text from the delivery team saying to expect another 3-4 weeks delay because "waiting for a few finishing touches to be made on your vehicle." Doesn't look like I will be getting my car till the end of September...

adamjthomp | August 28, 2019

I ordered my M3 Performance with white exterior and white interior on 7/30. No word for weeks then received a text from them on 8/24 saying they are waiting for finishing touches to be made on my vehicle. Please expect another 3-4 weeks before we reach out to you to schedule delivery.

dcsr23 | August 28, 2019

M3P ordered 8/9, no updates yet. Anxiously awaiting.

camtraina3 | August 28, 2019

After speaking with my local dealership, I pressed the guy info and he stated all vehicles will be delivered before end of September due to their Q3 coming to an end if not sooner.
Los an ageless M3 LR white color with black interior

ToansModel3 | August 28, 2019

So I placed my order on August 12th got my loan approved but I still haven’t got the vin # yet and after 30 days I’ll have to reapply for the auto loan again and that will ding my credit score. Anyone else getting this problem ? What should I do?

steve | August 29, 2019

Ordered 8/15/2019 with a "delivery estimate" of 2 weeks - so we just broke that date and still no VIN.

Sure - I understand, they are overrun with orders and production difficulties, etc, etc. But the UTTER lack of any communication whatever is disturbing.

I have bought several MINI Cooper's they are made in the UK (I live in Texas), in the first few years of their production, there were long waiting lists, just like with Tesla - and I wound up with a three to four month wait each time. I'd get updates at least every week or so on progress - and their website had a tracker where you could see the timeline. Three months was a painful wait - but they made it easier with photos of my car at several points along the production line - with dates when the car was going to the docks - the date the ship was sailing and it's name - with a link to a web site where we could see where the ship was on a map of the Atlantic (you could see it steering around storms!). With a report when it arrived at the dock in Houston - when it was on the car transporter to the dealership - with a note from the dealership saying they had the car and it would take two days to remove packaging material and do some dealer-extras like installing the door mirrors and sticking the 'go-faster' stripes onto the hood and it would be ready for pickup on such-and-such date. Yes it took 3 months - but it was interesting, they kept it amusing - the time went by very fast. People on the forum system got to be good friends as they saw their cars on the same boat and we'd make bets about whether we'd get a delay because of such-and-such storm system!

I'm REALLY not complaining about the time it's taking - but rather about the lack of information. I've phoned customer service three times now - and each time it's "You should get your VIN number in a few days"...which has yet to be true.

This is a case where realism beats optimism. Set an expectation AND MEET IT is the key here - so even if the expectation isn't very good news - at least we can plan around it.

In my case, I have family flying to visit us - and we're going to need a 4 door car to shuttle them around and visit places - and all I have is my MINI...so when Tesla said "two weeks" - I expected three - but if it's four, then I'm screwed. If I'd known, I'd have pushed the family reunion back a few weeks.

So PLEASE: Lots more communication - lots more realism. It makes for a MUCH better buying experience.

ToansModel3 | August 29, 2019

Just got off the phone with them again and now they say I won't get mine until end of September. I ordered mine Long Range Model 3 on August 12th. Now I don't know if I want to re apply for the loan again from my bank since its going to be over 30 days. Really not happy with Tesla communication!! With No VIN # my bank can not finish up with the loan.

Just got off the phone with them again and now they say I won't get mine until end of September. I ordered mine Long Range Model 3 on August 12th. Now I don't know if I want to re apply for the loan again from my bank since its going to be over 30 days. Really not happy with Tesla communication!! With No VIN # my bank can not finish up with the loan.

steve | August 29, 2019

@ToansModel3 - Wow...a 10 week deliver on a 2 week estimate? That's really not good. Aside from the long range thing - were there any other extras you bought? Might be instructive if we could all figure out which specific feature it is that pushes you from "WOW! I got it three days after applying!" to "OMG - a 10 week wait."

steve | August 29, 2019

I think the difference between super-fast and super-slow is whether or not they have a car already sitting at a delivery center someplace that they can just ship to you (super-fast) or whether you have to wait for a "slot" in the production schedule (super-slow). If they can't give you a VIN number rapidly - then that suggests that the car has not yet been manufactured - so you're waiting on a production slot...which is evidently a 4 week (or more) thing, depending on what you ordered.

If the web site is calculating an average time between order and shipping - then all of those lucky 3-day people are skewing the average - so a "typical" production slot wait of a month or more is averaged with a 3-day delivery - and the result is "TWO WEEKS!".

So I bet that if you don't have your car within a few days of placing the order - you have a month or more to wait.

@steve, I ordered long ranged M3 white color, black interior, with full driving , no upgrade on the wheels or anything. So I don't think the full driving would cost a big delay. I'm from Texas also if that helps.

bgbkt | August 30, 2019

Anybody knows what upgrade/changes are causing more delay? Is delay in east coast more compare to west coast?

MattBrownTX | August 30, 2019

Ordered 7/26, white & white, long range AWD, aero wheels. (Texas)
Vin assigned August 20th
Received text car was available for pickup 8/29.
Picking up 8/31.

From 7/26 to 8/20 they provided no info on delivery date. And again went radio silent from 8/20 to 8/29.
5 weeks from order to delivery.
Good luck!

mathcr49 | August 30, 2019

Ordered 8/16, white w/ black interior, performance model, no vin yet, ordered at Eatonville,FL service center

J3NRAD | August 31, 2019

I ordered mine on 8/24/19 - LR AWD White w/ white interior, 19" wheels. Checked with the sales associate who gave me my test drive and he indicated White was about 6 weeks, every other color was "less".

jehle2000 | August 31, 2019

update: Just received a text and set a delivery appointment for September 3!

Ordered July 29 White LR black interior 18"wheels Seattle area

nathantdecker | August 31, 2019

White on white performance awd. Ordered Aug 20th. No vin yet. Spoke to rep who indicated backlog on white exterior orders due to high demand. Stated average time for vin assignment has been around 4 weeks recently. Then 7-10 days for delivery after vin assignment depending upon location. Eastcoast.

Pages