Forums

Referrals are back! Now with less cowbell

Referrals are back! Now with less cowbell

Now, each time a friend purchases a new Tesla using your referral code, you’ll both get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging. Each referral also gives you a chance to win a Founder’s Series Model Y monthly and a Founder’s series Roadster supercar quarterly, both signed by Elon Musk and Franz von Holzhausen. Tesla owners who already have unlimited Supercharging get two chances to win with each referral.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/teslas-new-customer-referral-program

beaver | March 21, 2019

Not a big deal for me, now if they added some nice rims then it would make a difference. Or even a car cover!

geedub1023 | March 21, 2019

How do I find my referral code? I'm an owner but bought my M3 used from the original owner so maybe I'm not eligible for a referral program code? The reason I'm asking is because I think I've convinced three people to take the plunge and purchase a Tesla. It sure would be nice to benefit from my marketing!

ajbutler45 | March 21, 2019

@geedub Check your app on your phone. They have reinstalled the loot area. The treasure chest on the top right of the screen.

Looks like the new referral system could be sustainable, but I was enjoying not be bombarded by codes on Twitter, YouTube or here.

geedub1023 | March 21, 2019

@ajbutler Thanks but I just checked the app on my phone and don't see anything as you describe...no treasure chest?

rxlawdude | March 21, 2019

Hmm, if I have a MS with FUSC and a M3 with pay as I go Supercharging, what do I get per referral? :-)

@geedub My had disappeared when they got rid of the system, but it appeared tonight when I saw the announcement. Also on my account when I log in on the computer.

@rxlawdude You would get 1,000 mile of supercharging for your Model 3 plus entry into the drawing for once Monthly Model Y drawing and one quarterly Roadster drawing. If all you have is free supercharging you get two entries into the drawings.

rxlawdude | March 21, 2019

@ajbutler, it was somewhat rhetorical, as I've never bothered with referral codes.

@rxlawdude Oh, I didn't even hear it go over my head. I wondered why you couldn't even read the program on the site. hehe

tejasvia | March 21, 2019

I have a M3 order pending delivery for Monday, would they let me retroactively add a referral code I wonder!

beaver | March 21, 2019

@tejasvia worth a try! I bet they will allow, reps see pretty flexible in my experience.

Tesla2018 | March 21, 2019

Darn. I just spoke to a client who asked about my car and said he was going to buy one. Will have to call him tommorrow and hope he didnt order it today before I got the news.

beaver | March 21, 2019

Tesla2018 it should work, I had a friend add my code after he ordered but before delivery

Ross1 | March 21, 2019

Tesla could do a whole new experience: random referral prizes.
Like a lottery, you get what you get.

They might look like this;
A car cover
Free charging
Solar panels
Charger cable upgrade
Seat covers
Detailing bodywork
Carwash
Mystery Easter Egg
Free dent removal of door dings
Vinyl wrap
Custom grille
Custom wheeltrims
Badging: SuperSatisfied Referrer
OTA upgrade
Various upgrades

There are a lot of things you might like rather than need.
Free coffees at...Superchargers?
Free meals at Superchargers?
Clothing
Hat so you can look like mntlvr23
New tires

ok...

bj | March 22, 2019

Referrals... they just simply will not die...

kevin_rf | March 22, 2019

Free pizza would be a nice referral...

Time to go check the Domino's coupons ;-)

geedub1023 | March 22, 2019

@ajbutler45 Thanks! I found the referral code and referral details his morning both on my phone as well as online in my Account.

hcdavis3 | March 22, 2019

My app now has a loot box on the splash page too.

hcdavis3 | March 22, 2019

My app now has a loot box on the splash page too.

dsvick | March 22, 2019

@ILoveMyModel3 - "You can use my referral code..."

And so it begins ... it was nice for a month without the stupidity...

Flagged

Patrick | March 22, 2019

Nice to see Tesla launching a more thoughtful and sustainable program. Splash screen announcement popped up in the IOS app this morning.

I never did understand why the buyer received immediate benefits with the old program while the current owner (sales agent) received nothing. Much better this time around!

lilbean | March 22, 2019

Douche posts thread.

Tesla wouldn't offer seat covers as they are not recommended due to safety reasons.

Jiver | March 22, 2019

I was hoping for outrage on this thread. Come on whiners, isn't this just like price fluctuations? Let's have some outrage!

How can Tesla CANCEL the referral program and then BRING IT BACK? My brother ordered an SR+ last Saturday 3and picked it up on the 20th. Now he and I are both out 1,000 miles of free Supercharging. Outrageous! Where is my compensation? Where is my free stuff? I told my brother to return the car and to buy it again. That would show Tesla who is in charge. Of course, the SR+ price has gone up $500, but that's a fair extra price for my brother to pay (plus tax) for 1,000 miles of free Supercharging, right? I totally think he should do that. Maybe I can just get him to write me a check for $500.

On a serious note, it looks like Tesla has built the cost of the referral program in to the price increases for the car. 1,000 miles of Supercharging is worth maybe $140 at the top end, right? The program will pay for itself and owners are the best ambassadors (well, most of them).

I'll be Supercharging later tonight (paid -- shakes angry fist at Tesla). Outrageous treatment!

Rodo | March 22, 2019

They should make it points based. You get so many points per referral. Then, you could use the points to get free superchareger miles or buy stuff on their web site like accessories or AP options.

Rt002k | March 22, 2019

Much more sustainable new program. Limiting the big prizes to 1/mo and 1/qtr won't sneak up on them.

Tesla2018 | March 22, 2019

They should limit it to one free car per person per lifetime. Some people have gotten multiple roadsters already and make a living out of being referral whores.

Neo101 | March 22, 2019

@beaver do you know how he added the code after placing the order? I am being told by Tesla it can't be done. Have to use the link while placing the order.

@tejasvia any luck?

disapr | March 22, 2019

@Tesla2018 + 10 ^100

It still seems unfair because the legacy S owners that are also YouTube referral whores will stack the odds with double entries. It'll probably be a couple of years before someone that isn't a YouTube referral whore wins a vehicle.

I think they still need to work on the program. You should be required to buy a single use referral code from your account page for $100. You would give the code to someone and only that person can use it and if they don't it will expire in 2 weeks and you lose the $100. If they do use it then you get a refund of $100 + whatever the bonus is.

If you aren't willing to do that for someone, then you didn't actually refer them and someone is just using your code that has been spammed all over the internet.

bobbywolfson | March 22, 2019

As both a tesla owner and shareholder, this is a much better referral program than the prior one.

The prior program got out of hand with the number of prizes handed out to YouTubers including multiple Roadsters to an individual. The fact that 50 referrals netted you a $250K car meant that the effective customer acquisition cost for a referral was $5K. With larger margin cars like the model S & X, there was enough net margin to absorb that. With non-performance model 3's, there simply isn't.

The referral program was even more perverse because many owners would have purchased vehicles without providing a referral code but the new buyer had to provide a referral code in order to get free supercharging so YouTubers were gifted with huge numbers of referrals that otherwise would not have been placed if it didn't benefit the new owner. Tesla was effectively forcing new car owners to make Tesla pay out up to $5K for each vehicle it sold. Ridiculous...

Having said that, we need more vehicle sales (including the model 3) and referrals should be incentivized. With the new incentive program, there is the free supercharging component which benefits the average joe Tesla owner (a non-performance model 3 owner by sheer volume of sales >>> performance 3/X/S combined most of whom have free supercharging). Then there's the raffle which gives everyone a chance at winning the Y/roadster prizes while still incentivizing YouTubers by giving them more ballots with more referrals and also 2 ballots per referral if they already have free supercharging.

There's significant cost containment by giving out a $75K vehicle once per month and a $250K vehicle once per quarter. This is a really good way to keep encouraging the user-driven content on YouTube, podcasts, and social media while having a firm grasp on what referral costs will be on a quarterly basis. Kudos to tesla for a) putting a stop to the ridiculous referral program which went on for at least 6 months too long (with non-performance 3's being eligible in the old program in the 2nd half of 2018 to early 2019) and b) implementing a much better program to keep encouraging Tesla content creation while keeping its costs fixed and users excited for monthly raffles.

beaver | March 22, 2019

@Neo101 yes my friend called his point of contact (customer rep?) and asked that it be added and it was!

disapr | March 22, 2019

@bobbywolfson

"The referral program was even more perverse because many owners would have purchased vehicles without providing a referral code but the new buyer had to provide a referral code in order to get free supercharging so YouTubers were gifted with huge numbers of referrals"

This is still a problem with the program. I agree that it's much better than the previous model, but this is still going to mostly reward the people that do the least amount of work per referral. It also incentivises people to add cost to Tesla (Supercharging & Potential vehicle payout) for a purchase that they may have decided to make on their own without the influence of YouTube.

bobbywolfson | March 22, 2019

@disapr Good point. The perverse incentive is still there, leading to lost revenue at the supercharger (for M3 owners who would've otherwise paid out-of-pocket) and increased demand at superchargers (because it's free for those individuals for 1000 miles), resulting in increased capital costs to grow the SC network.

They should give the free supercharger usage to new drivers (to acclimate them to the system and get them hooked for later pay-per-use) and make it voluntary to provide a referral so that their friend gets free supercharging and entered into the lottery.

The system is much improved but not perfect. Good call.

Midway99 | March 22, 2019

uuugh, brother-in-law bought a M3 last weekend. man, this company is killing me with their timing! ;-)

bj | March 22, 2019

@bobbywolfson - or, Tesla could kill the referral concept completely, like they said they would. They managed it for, what, a whole month?

Magic 8 Ball | March 22, 2019

Code Red

Kary993 | March 22, 2019

realy less $100 of charging to efer a 40 TO 70 TO 120K CAR PURCHASE? YES TYPOS USING THE BROWSER IN CAR THAT SUCKS!

Rt002k | March 22, 2019

The current program is a fairly minimal cost when you compare it to the cost of all the advertising that everyone else does (and Tesla doesn't do). How many miles of free supercharging and the trickle of the monthly free Model Y and quarterly Roadster does it take to equal just one Super Bowl commercial? Remember, all advertising is customer acquisition cost!

Rt002k | March 22, 2019

BTW so glad I have the "flag as inappropriate" now! Looking at you TeslaDrv and your referral code.

beaver | March 22, 2019

Yes I flagged the referral code, no place in this thread I didn’t include mine.

terminator9 | March 22, 2019

I believe Tesla is fine (now) with people spamming their code all over the internet. I am guessing that is the point to get free advertising. Before it was an issue due to huge payouts. The goal of this is not to make it fair for everyone.

jeff d | March 22, 2019

If you don't use supercharging there are no cow-bells, and this family LOVES the cow-bells!!!

jeff d | March 22, 2019

I guess I should add... if you don't use SC and don't happen to win one of the cars then there really are no perks at least from a current owner's perspective. I'm pretty sure I'll never win anything... I'll even guarantee it.

jjgunn | March 23, 2019

I got an e-mail from Elon!!!!

Thanks for telling me about the new referral program Mr. Musk.

beaver | March 23, 2019

For more cowbell....
Pull down 4 times on the stalk if you have AP or EAP