Forums

FSD Refund Status ($2,000 sale)

FSD Refund Status ($2,000 sale)

"We are currently processing refunds for the over payment of auto pilot purchases. You should expect the refund in the coming weeks."

This is the latest reply from Tesla Customer Support regarding my being charged $3,000 for FSD on 1 March 2019, the day of the news release stating FSD would be $2,000 for former EAP owners.

Has anyone actually received such a refund?

jlhm | April 26, 2019

I’m also waiting for the refund. Last message from tesla said it was sent to finance for processing.

chadbobb | April 26, 2019

I bought the upgrade for $2000 so I am in the opposite boat you are in... All in I am at $62,000. I could buy the exact same car today for $55,000.

It sucks but I'll deal with it. Now I just want a call soon that my FSD computer upgrade is ready.

nvjx | April 26, 2019

I received an email from Customer Service on March 25 about eventually being refunded the overcharged $1000 but nothing since then. I was charged $3000 on my credit card on March 1 although the FSD tab I clicked on in My Account said $2000. I guess it is progressing on Tesla time.

RadOne | April 26, 2019

@chadbobb. "Now I just want a call soon that my FSD computer upgrade is ready."

What are you going to do with the computer?

chadbobb | April 26, 2019

@RadOne

Nothing for a while I guess. I just don't want to be hearing about software updates that require it and still be waiting for the swap. As long as I am ahead of software updates I won't complain.

marym23 | April 26, 2019

I too ordered on March 1 and was charaged $3000.00. I emailed Tesla and they came back saying they were looking into the matter to see if I was one of the customers that would get the refund. I emailed them back with a copy of the charge dated March 1 and a copy of Elon’s tweet saying that I would be refunded $1000. Since all I’ve gotten is crickets. Maybe they need that extra $1000 for GAAP.

billlake2000 | April 26, 2019

Waiting, waiting, looking at my watch with Elon's face in the center, right arm pointing to the hour, left arm pointing to the minute. D'oh!

alisse | April 27, 2019

I'm also in this situation. I was told that they mail the refund in check form, which can take 4-6 weeks AFTER the refund is processed. At this point I'm calling every week to confirm the process process has processed.

woster402 | April 27, 2019

Received my refund yesterday.

Heritagesb | April 27, 2019

I received my refund 4/22 back to the original CC, after many calls/emails/chats. Always got a different story and (missed) dates from the various people I spoke to.

srikarv | April 27, 2019

@heritagesb did you get the tax as well with $1000 refund ?
Tesla charged tax on top of $3000. so legally when they refund $1000 they should be refunding 1000 + tax

Heritagesb | April 27, 2019

Yes, $1082.50 refunded which included tax.

ramoska | April 27, 2019

I’m still waiting grrrrrrr

davebytbay | April 27, 2019

I'm confused. You paid $3k for FSD and you are receiving $1k back and they are selling it online now for $5,500? What did I miss? Early March I saw EAP was $2k and FSD was an additional $3k, then it went away before I could pull the trigger. So what is this forum about? TY

gmkellogg | April 27, 2019

They told me they were too busy and try back again later

billlake2000 | April 27, 2019

gmkellogg, they were reading from a prepared script

P49X | April 27, 2019

@davebytbay: Yes, the EAP/FSD/AP pricing has changed frequently in the past 2 months, so it's been confusing for some of us. On 1 March 2019, Tesla posted the following news release:

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

The Tesla Team March 1, 2019

All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pricing only lasted a week or two before another change was announced. I'm not going to recount the entire FSD pricing history here, but this thread is about those with EAP who purchased FSD after 1 March 2019 and were charged $3,000 rather than the promoted $2,000. The news release above was removed from the Tesla website when the pricing structure changed yet again.

jcd82 | April 27, 2019

I received my refund back to cc with tax.

jefjes | April 27, 2019

I'm still waiting also and now that the earnings report for the 1st quarter is over, I'm hoping they will have the time to issue the refund. I'm glad to hear that some have gotten it so maybe there's hope yet. With the share price of TSLA being so low at the moment, I think I know where to spend it.

billlake2000 | May 9, 2019

Contacted the chat room, and the representative told me he/she would submit a request to issue a refund. So far so good so slow so fun

jlhm | May 20, 2019

I finally got my refund today, $1K plus tax.

roger.klurfeld | May 20, 2019

I'm still waiting.

billlake2000 | May 20, 2019

remaining ever hopeful, however impatient.

Joshan | May 20, 2019

still waiting, but did get an email update that they are working on it.