Forums

anybody driven a refreshed 2019 Model S

anybody driven a refreshed 2019 Model S

I put my order for a new P100DL in two weeks ago and I still don't have a SN. Has anybody out there ( perhaps in California) driven a new Model S or even better yet a new P100DL?

Qwiksilver | May 8, 2019

It’s refreshing.

DBrohm | May 8, 2019

It'd be more refreshing if it had a sunroof.

Yodrak. | May 8, 2019

What's "refreshed" about the 2019 Model S? Looks the same to me. Just a changed battery rating and battery changes have never been called a "refresh" in the past.

Jimdow | May 9, 2019

Totally different front motor and inverter in new refreshed Model S and X
Also, new suspension and tires

Tldickerson | May 9, 2019

Not even out yet!!

Tropopause | May 9, 2019

New wheel bearings!

TeslaTap.com | May 9, 2019

Also new charging wiring to handle 200 kW Supercharging.

Clearly not a aesthetic refresh, but it comprises of an number of significant changes internally. Clearly we need a better name. Maybe a "Power Refresh"?

bill | May 9, 2019

If I would not loose Free Supercharging I don't think I could resist upgrading my 2016 S90D AP2 car. Once again Free Supercharging has saved me a bundle!

packpike | May 9, 2019

I would give up my FUSC because I don't use it that much, but it pains me to have to pay for FSD again since I paid for it on my current MS and no FSD features are out yet. Plus the Tesla trade-in offer was pretty low, but I could probably make most of that up at Carmax. The interest rates are high right now too!

ST70 | May 9, 2019

@bill- how much is a "bundle"?

p.c.mcavoy | May 10, 2019

@TeslaTap.com - "Clearly we need a better name. Maybe a "Power Refresh"?"
----------------------------

We commonly used the Gen1/Gen2 or 1/2/3 designations for evolution of several other aspects, whether that be Gen1 vs Gen2 UMCs, AP1 vs AP2 vs AP2.5, MCU1 vs MCU2, etc.

One could argue most of the changes in this iteration relate to the drive train or power train system. I'd say that even the wiring/charging electronics upgrades are part of the power train of this vehicle.

So if you're willing to play along with me on those two thoughts, then would these vehicles now become a 2019 with Gen2 powertrain, or PT2 for short??

philip.marin | May 10, 2019

Many changes from my p100D with AP1, 2016, that I have. I just ordered one as well. AP3, new motors and drivetrain with more range, new suspension, newer seats, newer MCU, faster charging. Only thing I will regret if the increase battery power in near future. Could care less if they go to model 3 like interior, as I like the 2 screen layout. Given the discounts for the month of May for current owners, the trade in value and price for the new car is very reasonable. I will be giving up Free supercharging but getting 10K miles with next car. I think 4th gen seats are more comfortable than 3rd gen seats that my car has.

philip.marin | May 10, 2019

Many changes from my p100D with AP1, 2016, that I have. I just ordered one as well. AP3, new motors and drivetrain with more range, new suspension, newer seats, newer MCU, faster charging. Only thing I will regret if the increase battery power in near future. Could care less if they go to model 3 like interior, as I like the 2 screen layout. Given the discounts for the month of May for current owners, the trade in value and price for the new car is very reasonable. I will be giving up Free supercharging but getting 10K miles with next car. I think 4th gen seats are more comfortable than 3rd gen seats that my car has.

cloudphytr | May 10, 2019

One note re the 10K miles, in the details of the offer, it states they are only good for 6 months. Probably hard for many people to use that up in SC charging over 6 months. Wish Tesla had made it good for at least a year for one referral. Takes two referrals to get the miles for one year.

Anyone who ordered a model S since the April 26/27 announcement get a VIN yet?

JChun | May 10, 2019

Nope, ordered mine on the 25th, still waiting for a status change.

TeslaTap.com | May 10, 2019

@p.c.mcavoy - I like the PowerTrain "PT" designation. Perhaps:

PT1 - Original RWD
PT2 - Original AWD
PT3 - New AWD (May 2019+) with high efficiency front motor

a.nel | May 10, 2019

Just hearing about the extended range to 370 mi. for the S. I have a 2018 P100D. Is this a software upgrade, soft- and hardware upgrade or available only on new S Teslas? In other words, can I get it for my car?

richard_lawson | May 10, 2019

a.nel; there are hardware changes including a permanent magnet front motor and suspension changes. I suggest you read the announcement blog.

Jimdow | May 10, 2019

I’m quite sure the increase in range is not a software upgrade.
It is the result of a more efficient front motor and inverter and other hardware changes

heartbeat | May 10, 2019

I ordered May 2nd and got a VIN number right away.

danni | May 10, 2019

I ordered about 10 days ago - no VIN number yet

JChun | May 10, 2019

@heartbeat, may I ask what configuration you ordered?

richard_lawson | May 10, 2019

I ordered 4-24, no VIN

heartbeat | May 10, 2019

My mistake. No VIN number, just RN for the P100DL.

JChun | May 10, 2019

no worries, thanks for the clarification. I guess we are all waiting. So hard lol

PeteB Lake Oswego | May 13, 2019

Jimdow, any idea what will be the new tires?? I'm about to get my fronts replaced, wanted to know what to ask at the Portland service..

Madatgascar | May 13, 2019

Forget all the Gen 2/ PT3 stuff. I think they should just add an E for “Enhanced.” (Or maybe Endowed?)

That way I can drive a P00DLE!

KenR | May 13, 2019

2 weeks since I placed the order and still only have the picture on the website - hoping to have some news this week!

ALSET | May 13, 2019

Same, ordered about 10 days ago and just an RN with no further information. Oh wait, they did also give me my own referral code.

JChun | May 14, 2019

lots of comments from those that are getting delivery here: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/post-april-23rd-announcement-vin