Forums

The Supercharger network was not designed for your everyday charging...

The Supercharger network was not designed for your everyday charging...

My Opinion:
If you can't charge your Tesla at home or at work, then maybe you shouldn't be driving an electric car at this time.
I know many of you live in apartments or condos that prevent you from charging at home; But in that case, maybe you shouldn't have bought a car that you need to charge in order to drive?

As more Tesla's are sold, If people are not able to charge them at home or work, they will be clogging up the Supercharger stations preventing people traveling long distances the ability to charge & go in a timely manner.

In the L.A. / Southern California area, it is impossible to go to some Superchargers without a long wait time (Santa Monica for example)
I know & agree that the Model 3 is a great car, but if you can't charge it without using a Supercharger as your primary charge location, think twice before purchasing.

Tropopause | May 10, 2019

So in the future when EV's are mainstream, you're solution is to exclude apartment dwellers from EV ownership? How will we ever get off fossil fuels?

beaver | May 10, 2019

Elon said he knows people in apartments will need to use superchargers, so they are working hard to add more city chargers (72 kW). Please be patient and understanding, I want everyone to have a Tesla’s so we can reduce gas usage and help the environment. If the SC are full that’s a good problem to have! If you can charge at home do so, but I’d or then welcome to the future and we will figure it out. V2 and V3 will make throughput higher. Help is on the way.

stevenmaifert | May 10, 2019

Tesla created the Urban Supercharger program for exactly that purpose; for those whose living situation doesn't allow for the installation of a home charger.

dmastro | May 10, 2019

It sounds like you have an agenda to keep superchargers relatively unused so it doesn't impact your ability to road trip from time to time.

Rather than flippantly suggest that a certain class of citizen shouldn't own an EV, you could suggest some solutions to the issue of heavily used superchargers. Off the top of my head:

- Build more publicly accessible EV charging infrastructure
- Laws to facilitate installation of community and/or private EV chargers (similar to laws that require apartment owners to allow tenants to install satellite TV dishes)
- Better battery technology to allow faster charging
- Eliminate all grandfathered free supercharging, which would likely lead to less use

Lorenzryanc | May 10, 2019

I agree ideally it'd be great if everyone could charge at home, but I'd rather everyone be able to charge any way possible. I think it's great that people who CAN'T charge at home/work STILL take the dive into a Tesla. Goes to show what Elon wanted is working.

As more buy, more apartments, restaurants, parking garages, parks, etc. will have stations.

aperfectecho | May 10, 2019

Part of the issue with superchargers is that people abuse them. I have seen cars left overnight, or for extended periods of time (all before the idle tax) that simply "clogged" up the superchargers for others. In fact, the very first time we went to use one in NJ, we waited for a while, and two of the 4 stalls were occupied by Teslas with no owner anywhere. There was a whole line of people switching through the remaining two stalls, and this occurred for the 3 hours that we were there.
A few can easily spoil it for all.
Yes, the vision, so to speak was that superchargers were for road trip use, not daily charging. Some cannot charge at home/work. Hopefully they have more and more charging options available in the future, because the Superchargers are going to be more, not less crowded

Techy James | May 10, 2019

@markr7, while I totally disagree on your reasoning here. Just because you don't have home charging doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting an electric car.
Now on the flip side, people without home charging may not enjoy all the benefits of an electric car like waking up each day to a car that is ready to go at your preset charging limit. Also if you look at Tesla's documentation, continently charging at super charger may increase the speed at which the battery degrades with your only charging being a super charger.

Kary993 | May 10, 2019

I agree with everyone on this thread, solutions are the way to solve issues, however, I think the OP is also providing a solution, and that is education for the uneducated, never mind that newbie will never find this information on this forum because most people have no clue how to search it out on this forum. But back to the point, many of you have provided alternative solutions which are all good. But in the end, think about all the questions on this forum about, when should I charge?, What level should I charge to too? No one ever asks what method should I charge? Why not?

Well one story I heard when test driving a model 3, in the store, was an apartment dweller said I don't have anywhere to charge in my apartment. Salesperson, says, "No worries plenty of superchargers around your area and with the range you will be fine". Well that is true and that is not true. We all know that supercharging all the time is hard on the battery yet to sell the car Tesla is saying that is ok. Hope the 8 year/120k mile warranty can hold up against 7 years of supercharging all the time because there have been several articles of people who did that, albeit, Model S vehicles, that dies far less than the warranty.

So while the posters above are in disagreement with the OP, I have to say again, the OP is just trying to educate because it is clear many people have bought these cars and have no clue how to use them in an effective way. It would be like a person buying a Henry Ford ICE car and saying, oh, you have to put oil in it? I just feed the horse hay and it worked fine!

bradbomb | May 10, 2019

This post is so against the reason the Model 3 exists. It was made so people who couldn’t afford a luxurious car can see make the switch to a cleaner mode of transportation. Also, sometime living situations change. When I purchased my Model 3, I owned a home, but now I have moved into a Condo and do not have access for a home charger. I take my lunch break once a week to supercharge my car. Besides that, I’ll supplement that with the Volta charging stations at Whole Foods or use some Level 2 ChargePoint stations. I have had this car 9 months and love it and that’s without the ability to home charge.

cnistal1 | May 10, 2019

Because I'm in Los Angeles I understand this concern first hand. With the proliferation of new M3s in the area, wait times at certain Supercharger locations have increased drastically. I personally charge at home. However, for those traveling into the Los Angeles area I would suggest finding a Hotel with Tesla destination chargers available.
Otherwise, early morning or late night Supercharger visits can be time savers.

LostInTx | May 10, 2019

I've never supercharged at one of the 3 Houston locations but as I've passed, I've literally never seen more than 2 Teslas charging.

Tens of thousands of folks from California move to Texas each year. SC accessibility is just one more reason.

(just kidding; please stay in California)

don.lind | May 10, 2019

I HAVE to believe that over time, apartments will somehow embrace and actively support EV charging on site.

Charging at home is one of the most amazingly wonderful things about a Tesla.
Charging at home means you have ZERO "down time" because you simply start the charging as you walk from your car into your house. NO extra time spent at all. And you never even need to stop at a "gas station" for even a 10 minute fill up once a week.

Right now, it's significantly more convenient to drive a Tesla if you can charge at home (or work).

I think if I was in an apartment, I would probably want to get myself a house before I spent money on a better car.
BUT, I know not everyone will buy a house (for example if they're not planning on settling down where they are right now). I guess it's fair to suggest potential buyers think about where they'll charge. But for now, they'll be charging at superchargers...

PhillyGal | May 10, 2019

Wow - thank you for your insightful observation nearly SIX YEARS after super chargers were invented. I know I'm being snarky but where the heck did you come from, today, thinking this such a groundbreaking thought you just had to create a new post to talk about it?

PhillyGal | May 10, 2019

3 full years after Tesla themselves published a customer story about an owner in Brookyln. Yes, Tesla used to publish stories about some of their customers on their website.

https://www.tesla.com/customer-stories/owning-tesla-brooklyn

Teslanene | May 10, 2019

Why aren’t they opening more superchargers in the congested area? They just open a new supercharger in Rohnert Park CA less than 10 miles from the Petaluma charger and the Petaluma charger is never full. There is plans to open another one in Windsor Ca which is about 15 miles from Rohnert Park. 3 superchargers in a 25 miles radius doesn’t sound very strategic from Tesla when they have issues like the OP said.

Rutrow 3 | May 10, 2019

Tesla has all the data it needs to incentivize/decentivize SuperCharger use as they desire. Tesla knows precisely how often you use any given S/C and what percentage of charging you do at S/Cs, so they could set individual charging prices to either motivate people to find alternate charging solutions, or fund expanding S/C locations in busy areas. If I were to use S/Cs at a greater than average frequency, I would understand if I had to pay greater than average rates. I remember when I drove ICE I used to search out the cheapest gasoline, which was usually in out of the way locations.

What I would love to see is for Tesla to provide unlimited* free worldwide SuperCharging UNTIL you charge at ANY SuperCharger station twice. Let me make my plan clear; If you use ANY S/C station for a second time, you get no more free S/C, anywhere! ever! This scheme would discourage using your local S/C for daily charging and encourge people to road trip to locations they'd never been to before. It would become a game of planning using routes that you hadn't traveled before. If a station along your route was one you had used before, it may behoove you to make that town a longer stopover so you can charge up using a destination charger instead of the S/C you've already used, or may need to use later.

jjgunn | May 10, 2019

@markr7 says anyone who lives in an Apt or Condo should think twice about purchasing an EV.

Well, everyone.....I guess the Lord has spoken.

Hey OP, your problem is people are ruining YOUR convenient time to charge during the day. Ever try charging at night? It works the same & a lot less crowded.

P.S. I live in an Apt/Condo. Have had my car for 1 year now. No issues charging. I'll buy an EV if I want one. AAMOF....I have 2.

bradbomb | May 10, 2019

@rutrow 3 There should be no discouragement of using the Supercharger network. The supercharger network is the reason Tesla is a viable EV for a replacement vs a Chevy Bolt. Without it, Tesla would not have succeeded. The Chevy Bolt does not have fast DC charging capabilities standard in the vehicle. Add to that the availability in the US of a reliable network of DC charging it can use if you get that capability. It is the same problem the Toyota Mirai has with being a Fuel Cell. Outside of California, there isn't a network of Hydrogen stations available yet.

ebmcs03 | May 10, 2019

Maybe Tesla should have stopped giving away free supercharing a lot sooner than it did.

jjgunn | May 10, 2019

FUSC - was a selling point. I assure you those of us who do have FUSC more than paid for it.

Syed.Hosain | May 10, 2019

Last year, we moved into an apartment - albeit a relatively new one (Lexington Apartments in San Jose, CA) - while having some home renovation work done. The complex put in EV chargers in mid-2018 for the residents ... at the time, I did not have mY Tesla 3 and we moved out in June anyway, so did not get a chance to use them.

My point is that larger apartment complex owners *are* thinking about this issue and providing the charging stations.

At work here, there are six Chargepoint stations in the parking garage. While not as fast as superchargers, they do provide sufficient charge capability for commuting to and from home. My company goes one step further: we have free charging using those Chargepoint stations - there are two cards at work here that us EV owners share.

Tesla2018 | May 10, 2019

It would be interesting to find out what percentage of people with free supercharging charge at superchargers all the time. When the cars with free supercharging eventually turn into klunkers and are no longer service it will probably cause a decrease in the use of supercharging by locals who are only doing it because it is free.

I'm kind of bummed that Tesla raised the price for supercharging about a year ago. The whole purpose of supercharging was to allow people to go all over the country. If you want to travel like Bighorn you wind up paying more for something that Tesla promotes as one of their selling points. I would rather pay more for charging at a local place that I might go to occasionally in a pinch, but I wouldn't like to be charged more than I would pay at home when I am going on a long trip. Currently it costs me about $0.09 to charge at home but around $0.26 at a supercharger. It makes as much sense as paying $ 7 for a beer at bar down the street when I can buy a six pack and drink it at home for about the same price.

jjt2122 | May 10, 2019

I’m a renter, I can’t charge at my home, but I supercharge with no issue, I usually supercharge late at night when no one is there, that way I don’t gotta worry about congestion.

But you can’t say “if you are a renter and can’t charge at home, then you shouldn’t have bought a EV”
What’s that about?

I also have unlimited supercharging, so why would I pay to charge at home?

Tropopause | May 10, 2019

OP is post and run?

bradbomb | May 10, 2019

Seems that way.

Tesla2018 | May 10, 2019

Jjt2122 If you didn't have free supercharging would you still have bought the car

jjgunn | May 10, 2019

I'll answer for him....yes I would have

dmanincali | May 10, 2019

I’ve never had a problem with superchargers on roadtrip routes. They do tend to backup in urban areas but when commuting between cities I haven’t had to wait a single time in the two years of owning Teslas (including numerous trips from the Bay Area to SoCal and Tahoe).

Didn’t have home charging when I first bought my Model X and so had to charge at Mountain View or San Mateo and I did run into lines for those charging sessions. Now that I have home charging I don’t bother.

dmanincali | May 10, 2019

I’ve never had a problem with superchargers on roadtrip routes. They do tend to backup in urban areas but when commuting between cities I haven’t had to wait a single time in the two years of owning Teslas (including numerous trips from the Bay Area to SoCal and Tahoe).

Didn’t have home charging when I first bought my Model X and so had to charge at Mountain View or San Mateo and I did run into lines for those charging sessions. Now that I have home charging I don’t bother.

Hal Fisher | May 10, 2019

Yeah poster is right, even tesla called me before the deal went too far to Go through options of charging Didn’t they call any of you people?

jjt2122 | May 10, 2019

@Tesla2018 & jjgunn

Yep, In a heartbeat :)

TimbersThornsBlazers | May 10, 2019

@HalFisher ~ I didn't get a separate call, but it was a question (i.e. "do you have home charging available?" and "do you own or rent your place of residence?") that was asked of me at least twice throughout the purchase process . . . once when I reserved a test drive, and once by phone while in the process of ordering the car itself.

I own my home, so the conversation always just ended there -- but if I had said "no" I have no idea where it would have led at that point? Further education about charging? Nothing further at all? No idea. Curious.

- - - - - - - - - -

@Tesla2018 ~ re: "Currently it costs me about $0.09 to charge at home but around $0.26 at a supercharger."

Agree. My costs are almost identical. I will say, however, that if/when I'm road tripping and rely on SCs, I'm still coming out ahead, given that the vehicle I just replaced with my M3 cost 3x as much to "fill up". So yeah, the SC cost is about 3x as much as charging at home, but it's still way better than the alternative. I can fill the M3 at home for about $6 -- it costs about $20 at a SC -- and my previous ICE ranged between $40-$60 to fill in the last 6-9 months I drove it.

Overall, happy either way. And will pound the pavement trying to get more people to make the switch, as well.

bradbomb | May 10, 2019

I purchased without Free Supercharging originally, so yeah, I'd definitely do it again. (I am also in that lucky category that still has FUSC since the beginning of November)

Kary993 | May 11, 2019

Well I posted much earlier as I listen to the utter BS stated here and cannot list all the names but hey ignorance rules here.

For those that use super charging as primary good luck foolish at best. Simple internet search will educate. Search and see.

For the rest this is not simply about selling Tesla’s or green, it is about providing the same experience or better than ICE cars. It’s about education that results in green.

We all get the implication but my god tired of reading the uneducated posts of new buyers who know zero about what they bought and worse this site that has a wealth of knowledge that is unsearchable.

I for one am tired of this cycle. My solution which little suggest on this site. Is there one other than opinion and ignorance?

If not I am going to start it with community input. Anyone want to join in something that educates?

Now complain or ignore. Usually ignore is the case when bitching is easier. But looking for those with answers and solutions not those that have nothing to do all day but bitch on that s site.....boring....who’s up for real education?

Ron.Olsberg | May 11, 2019

If Tesla is going to use supercharging to promote greater sales, the new free supercharging miles based promotion as opposed time based (six months for example) makes much more sense to me. With the unlimited time based many people, including myself, would tend to supercharge locally to take advantage of FREE; however, with the miles based promotion, I would save the promotion miles to use when I travel out of town. With the by the mile promotion, I am not paying by the minute when it is cold or any other reason supercharging speed might be slow. Slow charging by the minute can get quite expensive. Now if I can get a friend to use my promotion code during the 5000 mile promotion period that would be great. I recently had two friends purchase their Model 3 (after driving my car one time) during the Feb/Mar time period where there were no promotions; however, I am glad they saved about $1500 on their purchase due to the lower prices.

CharleyBC | May 11, 2019

@Kary993: I read your post a couple times and I’m not quite clear what you’re proposing. Are you suggesting starting a new forum with a more educational focus? I’m all for education! I’ve learned a lot on this forum over the last year plus. I know how little I knew when I was new to Tesla and EVs in general, so I try to be understanding of new folks, and pay forward the education.

syclone | May 11, 2019

OP's entry is one of the most self-centered mean spirited entries if seen on this forum. Truly - "I'm on board pull up the ladder" I could go further, but that pretty much says it all.

kevin_rf | May 11, 2019

Watched a gray S get off at my exit last night. Wondered if he was headed to the supercharger. Picked up kiddo and friends at home, on the way to dropping them off at the movies noticed he was the only car at the supercharger. Must have been lonely. Swing by it again on the way to pick other kiddo from mall, now only a black 3 is Ev'ing. Drop kiddo off at home, decide to do dinner. Drive past it a third time, the supercharger is empty. People are really abusing these superchargers I tell you...

Brian | May 12, 2019

I agree that if you don't have a place to charge at your home, then you should rethink the choice to buy en EV.
However, I am not saying don't do it, I'm just saying rethink it. Everyone that drives an ICE has to go off site to fill up, so, going elsewhere to recharge is the same thing......sort of. It is less convenient. The stations aren't as plentiful, and they take longer, but it is doable. I know some think the Superchargers are for long distance travel, and if everyone uses them for regular charging, it will make long distance for everyone much more difficult, but if they are all paying for it, it will allow more to be built, and eventually, there will be almost as many as as there are gas stations.

Brian (The one from Massachusetts)

Lonestar10_1999 | May 12, 2019

If you don’t have a place to change at home, it’s terribly inconvenient to own an EV. But for some folks, that may not be enough to dissuade them from buying an EV.

For me, I’m all about convenience.

rhj | May 12, 2019

Never had a gas pump at my condo complex so not having a charger wasn’t even a thought
I travel over to one of two supercharges during the day. 15 minutes later I’ve got an extra hundred or so miles
And I’m good to go. Similar to all the ICE folks asking for 10 dollars worth.

Lonestar10_1999 | May 12, 2019

Let’s say your ICE car is parked at your house with the fuel tank on E or just above it. You promise yourself you will fuel up tomorrow. You wake up the next day to a blizzard and you are home bound for a week. A week later you dig out and fuel up.

If you change that same story to an EV instead of ICE, then and you may need a Tesla flatbed truck rescue after you dig out.

The point is, recharging the EV takes more planning and commitment than fueling up an ICE vehicle. That’s why EV isn’t for everyone.

charles.a.braun | May 12, 2019

That's the stupidest analogy I have ever read. I dont live in an area subject to blizzards.

Brian | May 12, 2019

If you do live in an area that is subject to blizzards, then in Winter, you would plug in every day. That is much easier than heading out to a gas station, since most charge at home. That means charging an EV takes LESS planning since you are already home.
Brian (The one from Massachusetts)

ST70 | May 12, 2019

@markr7- dumb@ss!

TAC | May 12, 2019

I think you need a dose of self reflection and humility mark7

Tuning In | May 13, 2019

I’ve driven EV’s for years and the congestion at public charging stations is why the LR for me is an absolute must. Stations were rarely available. That is what is going to happen with the SuperChargers in this city. A car with a range equivalent to a tank of gas ensures that I never need public chargers. (I fly for vacations anyhow so road trips aren’t a concern for me). I can go to San Diego and back without charging.

Perhaps the best solution is that Tesla queues cars through software and they prioritize the queue giving immediate access to those with the fewest SC uses.

jithesh | May 13, 2019

I respectfully disagree with you partially, I think it depends on individual situation.

I do not drive to work so I drive occasionally for grocery shopping, going to movies, nearby places and then long trips. I have a train station nearby which provides free charging with $7 parking fee.
I usually take my apartment shuttle to work but when ever I need to charge my car I just take it to the train station, plug it in and take the train to my office. When I return I pay $7 parking fee and get a fully charged car.

Now I also find free charging at grocery shops, shopping malls that I go through which many times I am actually able to recover the miles I traveled.

In my opinion this works excellent for me as the charging is free and its part of my commute rather than going to gas station just for filling up. This would be impossible to achieve in a Gas Car.

In my 1 year of Model 3 ownership I have only used Superchargers 7 times and some of those were just to figure out which Supercharger was best for me in case I need one.

People should weigh in their usage of car with number of slow/fast charging options available to them and then make decision. I am seeing more public charging options coming up within last one year and most of them are free.

I think public charging at Restaurants, Shopping Malls, Train Stations and other public places will rise and companies like Chargepoint, etc will push hard to expand that.

TAC | May 13, 2019

Dont forget its expected they are doubling charging stations this year..

PhillyGal | May 13, 2019

Yup - post dumbish then never come back....

Pages