Forums

2013 model S rear seat pic request

2013 model S rear seat pic request

Hello fellow owners! Long story short: can anyone who has a 2013 model S (or pre refresh) post a picture of the ceiling of the car above the rear seats if you have a solid roof (no sunroof or glass roof).

Long story long: I have a 2013 model S (it's below the 8000 number in the VIN, so an early EARLY one) and about 4 months ago Tesla service replaced the entire roof of the car because there was a water leak someplace (Looks like the adhesive or something wore off after so many years) service people stated they never saw anything like it, so it may have been a one off issue. The other day I happened to be sitting in the back seat and I looked directly up at the ceiling of the car and the car looks like it's missing some trim (the part of the ceiling that meets the rear window, the glass that does not go down). I asked Tesla service, but they told me that they had not worked on such an early model before to really be able to tell if the car is missing trim, or if the car is supposed to look like that. I will make a follow up post with the pictures, but meantime I was hoping other owners can post theirs so if the car is missing trim I can make a claim with my service center since they are acting like that's how it's supposed to look.

Thank you for your assistance fellow owners!
Renzo

jordanrichard | May 13, 2019

Hmmm, if you have a solid roof, it's impossible for water to leak into the car. Any water on the roof would either go off to the sides and run along the chrome window trim or fall in the gap between the roof and the rear hatch.

Renzo | May 13, 2019

I hear you @jordanrichard, but I took it to service center and they tested the roof and found an "ingress of water" so they went ahead and replaced the whole roof assembly of the car. They couldn't explain it either but water was leaking INTO the headliner and that's how I noticed it, there was wetspots on the headliner of the car.

Tldickerson | May 13, 2019

What area (location) of the headliner was wet? There is no trim along the rear edge of the headliner where it meets the rear hatch. What is there is the seal that goes around the whole rear hatch opening. It goes over the edge of the back/top of the headliner.

Renzo | May 13, 2019

The wet spots were around the rear dome lights..that's where the water pooled. I can't seem to upload pictures on the thread. Can you email me pictures of what you are describing to renzo@mental-clarity.com ? Or can I email you my picture so you can compare. The 2013 rear roof liner interior for a solid roof is different than if you have a glass roof.

Renzo | May 13, 2019

@Tldickerson by the way, I'm not talking about where the headliner meets rear hatch... But rather where headliner meets the rear quarter panel glass (the glass behind the rear door glass, the glass that does not go gown) hope I'm explaining it correctly.

TeslaTap.com | May 13, 2019

@Renzo - Yep, I had an even earlier S (Jan-13) and yes the top area of the quarter window shows the fraried edge of the headliner. I remember a few other early owners noticing it. That's the way it is, and likely was that way before the roof was repaired. I just looked on my 2016 S and there is no trim cover, but the headliner is tucked up so it is much cleaner looking. The entire headliner is made differently between the earlier S and current S. Both my cars had/have the metal roof too.

Tldickerson | May 13, 2019

@Renzo, I cannot believe that they wouldn't have just removed the headliner to find the leak and correct the problem from inside of the car rather than replacing the roof. Sounds just crazy!! I've was in the auto glass business for over 30 years and my 2 boys still are in the business. We had to find leaks all the time for car dealers and fix them if we could. If a windshield leaked you didn't replace it you fixed the leak. Same thing should have happened here. Of well! Like TeslaTap, both of my model S's had/have solid metal roofs and there are no trim pieces around the windows, just the headliner.

Renzo | May 13, 2019

@Tldickerson So it looks like frayed cloth hanging out? do you mind giving me your email or just emailing me real quick so I can send you the picture of my headliner and you just tell me if yours looks like that? thank you!!!

stevenmaifert | May 14, 2019

@Renzo - December 2012 solid roof. https://drive.google.com/open?id=17DMhTkQNQ9m3KgOcnapayPOGcITZCCmy If this is not the area you are looking for, let me know in more detail and I will snap another pix for you.