Forums

Hill Hold stopped working!

Hill Hold stopped working!

Today hill hold stopped working out of the blue. I use this every time I stop and it is (was) great! Specially with creep off.

Now it feels dangerous when at a stop on non level roads.

I two finger plus break restarted the system and toggled creep, no joy. Any others with this? Fix?

Magic 8 Ball | June 23, 2019

Version firmware?
Version car?

Lonestar10_1999 | June 23, 2019

If it truly stopped working, make an SC appointment immediately to get it serviced. Without the Hold feature, you could easily cause an accident by rolling into someone or something.

Bighorn | June 23, 2019

Hill hold did not exist for the first couple years and then it was only a 2 second hold only on inclined surfaces, so I wouldn’t say it’s too much of a safety hazard.

FISHEV | June 23, 2019

" then it was only a 2 second hold only on inclined surfaces, so I wouldn’t say it’s too much of a safety hazard."

It's a full hold now at least on my May 2019 LR/AWD. The brake hold is a great feature for me. I didn't like the car rolling backwards or forwards when at idle. Use it all the time so I don't roll into people.

Bighorn | June 23, 2019

It’s been a full hold on any surface since the Bosch electric booster was added several years ago. There are probable around 50k cars without this feature though.

TE51A | June 23, 2019

I purchased my M3MR on March this year, the Hold no break (hill or otherwise) worked right of the bat across versions V9.0 2019.8.x.x 2019.16.x.x and the current 2019.20.6.3. I did feel that sometimes it responds at lighter touch VS a harder touch so before taking my foot of I always peek at the screen and verify that "H". there were times it didn't activate and I end up wobbling back and forth as I try to make it work... learned later that hard pressing the break will make it work.

The reason for this to me is unknown, if this was a related to the driving computer, does it have a hardware-sensor switch it operates from or does it work by detecting break percentage similar to how the acceleration pedal works?

Wish a Tesla mechanic in this forum could satisfy this answer =]

that aside if it does not work I do agree it would be a hazard because anything a driver gets used to when functions contrary to expectation will cause an accident.

on another irrelevant note I discovered that many times over that when I signal lane changing right the signal turns off after 3 blinks, when I turn on lane changing signal left the blinker remains active (similar to fully turning the left signal) until I toggle the stick again. <--- am I the only one or is this a hardware problem?

another problem I noticed this morning that my phone does not charge through the docking station anymore. it's a type C Android phone and it works find on it's own charger. :S

FISHEV | June 23, 2019

"Wish a Tesla mechanic in this forum could satisfy this answer =]"

No kidding. A Tesla support forum with no Tesla people and no even maintenance admin. Tell Musk to get off of Twitter fights with English scuba divers and get on the Tesla forum and answer owner questions.

I do like the Hold feature as Tesla rolling forward while in Reverse and backward while in Drive are disconcerting. I've taken to using it every time I stop.

M3phan | June 23, 2019

Elon - running Space X, Tesla, NeuralLink and Boring - doesn’t have time to sit and answer our forum threads. His online interactions are at his choosing and timing.

johnmann | June 23, 2019

"I did feel that sometimes it responds at lighter touch VS a harder touch... learned later that hard pressing the break will make it work... The reason for this to me is unknown"

It is explained in the manual. Page 61.

"When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake
as you normally would. After coming to a
complete stop, simply press the brake pedal
again (until the touchscreen displays the
Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle
Hold."

When we come to stop it is natural to press the brake pedal harder while decelerating and then to let up as you slow and stop. So the trick is to continue to do this, but once stopped, press just slightly harder on the brake and Hold will easily engage. It's requires a bit of practice and finesse, but once mastered it can be done easily and reliably.

FISHEV | June 23, 2019

"Elon - running Space X, Tesla, NeuralLink and Boring - doesn’t have time to sit and answer our forum threads."

But he has time to get into it with rescue divers in Thailand...so instead of all his wasted hours on Twitter. Spend all that Twitter time answering owner questions.

It’s unreasonable to expect the CEO to participate in this forum. It’s not unreasonable for certain Tesla staff to monitor the forum and participate by providing advice, guidance, and generally communicate official Tesla policy on hot button issues.

When Ford people monitored the Ford forum the most help they would give is contact your local service center. It is not reasonable to offer customer support on a free for all forum.

TESLA offers phone contact info., email contact info. and chat contact for that sort of thing. While this forum can by helpful it is unreasonable to ask TESLA to run interference or filter through hysteria to respond to blabber that goes on here.

TESLA will contact you if there is something critical you need to know about your car.

It would be perfectly appropriate for example if a Tesla rep posted that based on real world experience, the undercarriage material was changed from fabric to a hard shell plastic. It would have saved many sincere posters from enduring ridicule and adolescent name calling.

FISHEV | June 23, 2019

"It is not reasonable to offer customer support on a free for all forum."

It is reasonable to offer customer support on a well run forum designed for that purpose. As noted, if Musk substituted Tesla Forum for Twitter, it would be more than enough.

"It’s unreasonable to expect the CEO to participate in this forum."

Michael Dell did it for years on the PC Forum on CompuServe and it worked great. Have my Thank you note from Bill Clinton for getting him on the CS Politics Forums. Musk wastes a huge amount of time with crazy useless stuff on Twitter to the point it has cost the company $50M and the bad PR of a lawsuit by a hero scuba diver in Thailand.

But a good customer support forum that is limited to owners, that enforces rules on content, profanity, personal insults is great. One answer from a Tesla tech answers 10,000 phone calls to Tesla. You use the owner questions/Tesla answers to create an informal knowledge base.

For the cost of his $75k settlement, he could pay an admin person to clean up the forum and take owner questions to appropriate people for real answers. Minimal work really. Admin posts the answer in the thread and sticks it top of thread so new users search for question and see Tesla answer first and then they can read the back and forth between Swerengen and Bulloch below if they want to.

No it would not have been appropriate for TESLA to create information that would cause some customers to believe they have inferior parts. A replace, as necessary, policy is the most appropriate method of dealing with it. Running any type of interference in adolescent name calling is a no win situation for anyone to get involved in. I fully appreciate TESLA lets this forum run its own course with minimal interference.

EVRider | June 24, 2019

Brake hold stopped working for me after a recent update, but rebooting fixed it.

howard | June 24, 2019

Hard reboot should be the top message and instructions on the software release notes. So often people have weird problems after updates till they do.

hokiegir1 | June 24, 2019

@howard - By default, I do a reboot after every install -- and a 2 minute power-off if I possibly can.