Forums

LR RWD Charging to Only 273 at 90% All of a Sudden

LR RWD Charging to Only 273 at 90% All of a Sudden

My car is a RWD Long Range. I was supposed to get the update so that the charging percentage would be based on 325 miles of range rather than 310 miles. However, based on the 310 at 90% charging my miles would usually be up at 279 or 280 which is where it should be. Ever since an update about a month ago, I am now only getting 273 miles on a 90% charge. Has anyone else experienced this too?

stopnair | July 16, 2019

how old is your car? mileage? Just curious. Mine is 4 months old and already put 6000 miles as of today.. Just charged 87% and got 283 miles which is 325 miles for 100% SOC.

tdwin2000 | July 17, 2019

picked up my car on August 8 2018...have just under 13K miles...

shank15217 | July 17, 2019

Don't worry about it, range can change based on your driving style.

M3phan | July 17, 2019

Yes Ive has that same drop. Yes I know it’s based more on driving style than actual range. But...My driving has been very subdued the last month and a half as I’ve tried out Chill mode. I charged to 90% overnight last night because I was seeing a drop too this past week. This morning at 90% it reads exactly 273.
LR RWD from July ‘18
Will try the deplete-and-charge-up cycle again (last time I did that readings recalibrated.).

hokiegir1 | July 17, 2019

I've noticed mine (April '18, 37k miles) had the same drop after a recent update. It's not exactly based on driving style -- it's just a set calculation, but it can fluctuate. Since we picked up the car, I've seen my full charge go as high as 318 after an update and down to about 303 -- and back up.

gballant4570 | July 17, 2019

Also check to see if your charge limit set point is exactly on the 90% mark. If you move it sometimes, it can get a bit off when you move it back. On one occasion I noticed something similar, and that was the reason.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | July 17, 2019

If you charged overnight, once the SOC reaches its target, it won't charge until the SOC drops significantly. If it's hot outside with cabin overheat protection on, and/or sentry is enabled, that will reduce the SOC by the time you get in the car. This has happened to me using the mobile charger.

jjgunn | July 17, 2019

Use % instead of miles. You'll be much happier.

dbatty | July 17, 2019

Yes, something similar has happened with our Model 3. The battery capacity seems to have fallen significantly over the past 2-3 months. 90% SOC is now 267. It was still 275-279 prior to that. Given the timing, I doubt it was caused by the same software update.

In our case, I don't believe it is just a problem with the estimate. On a recent roadtrip it appeared that the car only had access to about 65 kWh of the battery. We started one morning at 100%, used 58 kWh, and only had 30 miles of range remaining. I also don't believe that the estimate changes based on your driving habits. If it did, our car should report a higher than "normal" range since the car's lifetime consumption is around 220 watt-hours per mile (plenty of mid-speed surface street commuting). I never saw a range above 310 at 100% SOC.

Based on some comments here I am currently trying to "recalibrate" the battery by draining it more fully and then doing a full charge. I doubt that will solve the problem, but it might help Tesla diagnose the problem. I've also reported the issue to Tesla. Mobile Service checked the battery (while looking at another issue) and couldn't find any problems in the battery logs, but are still looking into it.

Pepperidge | July 17, 2019

It looks like Tesla changed display of "expected range" based on the actual energy usage / miles driven, instead of EPA rating based. You should only worried about usable battery capacity not the range.

xwedge | July 17, 2019

@Pepperidge do you have a source that you got this information from? I'd like to confirm if this is indeed true.

ADinM3 | July 17, 2019

@Pepperidge, I never understand the comments that say don't worry about range and only look at %SOC.

Sure, if your doing daily commuting and are only generally trying to decide which day to charge on then either will do just fine, but if your cutting it close trying to decide if you can get to a next charging location, especially if the route involves putzing around along the way that can't be easily modeled in a single nav route, range is really all that does matter.

People appear to use different approaches, car's long term average, assumptions based on Energy app, etc, but in the end it always boils down to coming up with an estimate for range, after compensation for speed, weather, etc.

How and exactly what set of assumptions the range in miles is based on is one area I wish Tesla would clarify better. As best I can tell the current range in miles is basically worthless except for a vague indication. Almost every aspect of that number and what it is derived from is based upon non-published numbers and assumptions. I think these estimates have now been nailed down pretty good over time by the sleuths here, but they are still only estimate (i.e. usable battery capacity, rated energy usage, etc)

spuzzz123 | July 17, 2019

@pepperidge interesting. Hopefully based on a fairly recent average usage not lifetime). That would customize everyone’s range to their personal driving style, temperatures, and variant. A more realistic expectation for each driver I’m sure if true that was a tough decision for Tesla knowing it would open the door to calls and complaints when people see their ranges change but I think it’s the right thing to do.

zerogravitydrgn | July 17, 2019

@dbatty , My LR AWD also drooped to 267 @ 90% seemingly out of nowhere. 12k miles. I feel like it must be software update related, I dunno.

jimglas | July 17, 2019

At 10k miles, my P3D- charges to 279 at 90% (100% = 310)
No change from the day I brought it home

ADinM3 | July 17, 2019

Hmm, let's see. We don't know the exact usable battery capacity (74kWh ish assumption), nor actual energy usage/mile as it's not displayed anywhere, nor individual battery degradation.

Fwiw, I don't believe they have switched to actual energy usage/mile else I have increased my battery capacity to roughly 80 kWh which I doubt. I tend to believe my number is still rated miles with about a 5% battery degradation.

dbatty | July 17, 2019

@zerogravitydrgn. Interesting. I first noticed the problem with around 12K on the odometer as well (closer to 15K now). I would be less concerned if it was just the 90% range dropping to 267. That is less than a 5% drop vs. 279 which could just be normal battery degradation or a minor software issue, as you said. I'm more concerned with the usable battery capacity on our roadtrip apparently dropping by 13% (65 kWh vs. original 75 kWh(?) ). It is a complicated issue so I'm gathering more data for Tesla to take a closer look.

Bighorn | July 17, 2019

@dbatty
Did you derive 65kWh from an uninterrupted trip? If not, it won’t be an accurate reflection of capacity. That experiment should yield about 73kWh. Your capacity is roughly rated miles times 0.234 kWh.

dbatty | July 17, 2019

@Bighorn
The usable 65 kWh estimate was derived from:
1) Charging to 100% at home
2) Driving about 200 miles non-stop. Car claimed to have consumed 58 kWh. Most of it was high speed highway driving with significant elevation gain so the consumption was higher than "normal".
3) Estimated range remaining at that point was 30 miles

So, using your efficiency numbers that would 58 + .234*30 = 65.02 kWh. I had similar results on the other legs of the journey. I'm performing more tests and documenting it for Tesla Service to investigate further.

M3BlueGeorgia | July 17, 2019

I never saw the 325 ever (LR+RWD from July 2018)
Last time I charged to 100% it was estimating 306 miles.

So your 273 estimate is about what I'd expect +- 5 miles.

Rhaekar | July 17, 2019

There's no actually way to determine the exact SoC. The BMS estimates based on your usage and charging habits and it's out of calibration. You still have the range you always did, it's just guessing incorrectly.

If you run your battery down to 5-10% then charge it back up to 90% a couple of times you'll re-calibrate the BMS and get those extra miles back.

Bighorn | July 17, 2019

@dbatty
Seems sound. If indeed your capacity were 65 kWh, your 100% SOC should show as ~277 rated miles.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | July 18, 2019

Would having driven the car in cold winter weather have affected the car's calculations? Since cold weather seems to cut range by up to 40%, that could throw the car's averages way out of wack.
My LR RWD is an April production date, was a Demo car, and I took delivery on 6/16/19. When I charge to 90%, I reach 291-292 miles consistently (3 times, so far). Even though it displays that range, it never reaches anywhere near it. I attribute it to Sentry, a/c, and cabin overheat protection. They eat up gobs of electrons.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

Would folks post their mileage, 90% range, 100% range (or predicted 100%) AND their lifeltime wh/m

I crowd sourced some this data a few weeks ago, but looks like we need all 4 peices to get the full picture

Try to put it in this format to make it easier to compare notes.

40k miles / 279m @ 90% / 310m @ 100% / 246wh/mile

Thanks all

vmulla | July 18, 2019

@CRAIGJFIFTY3,
Good point, we should probably collect that data point too - but i can't think of a good way to collect that info in a forum setting

Steve S. | July 18, 2019

This will be interesting to see - here’s my range data:

28k miles / 304 m @ 100% / 287 wh/mi lifetime

Not sure about the 90%, I usually only charge to 100% for trips, otherwise it’s set at 75%.

vmulla | July 18, 2019

For extra credit see how your 100% range would be if you managed the rated efficiency (235wh/m)

vmulla | July 18, 2019

I’m getting 325m for the projected mileage at rated efficiency (not real efficiency)

So, I have a theory. It's possible that Tesla reset the range to reflect rated efficiency at the time of software update - that would give LR RWD cars 325 mile range. And as the car accumulates miles the real world efficiency is used to predict range, that would show a change based on driving habits/weather.
If my theory holds water, many moderate climate gentle drivers will see a bounce back of range after a few months(due to better efficiencies in the warmer weather)

zerogravitydrgn | July 22, 2019

UPDATE on my car. I fully charged from low SOC a few times and I went back up to 276 @ 90% from 266. Not sure the cause. I was only regularly charging to 80% for a long period though.