Forums

Model 3 Referral Program Virginia

Model 3 Referral Program Virginia

I recently bought my Tesla Model 3 using a friends referral code, I was awarded supercharger miles, then one day they just disappeared. I contacted Tesla about the issue, they are telling me now that Virginia does not allow rewards to the new owner. Very Disappointed.

Has anyone experienced this issue when purchasing a vehicle in VA? What law specifically covers this and Does anyone know what I can do at this point??

TrexTesla | September 4, 2019

Yup. It's actually in your contract when you bought your car...look for it. Specifically states referral miles, etc. don't apply to people in Virginia and one other state (Ohio?)...can't remember off the top of my head. I looked it up at the time. Essentially, if you are not licensed to sell cars in the state, you cannot receive any compensation for the sale of a car. Supercharger miles, etc. are "compensation." Sucks...I'm in VAB. You still get the tax credit!

PaulM3 | September 5, 2019

I also live in VA and I got 5,000 free SC miles from the referral program when I bought my M3 three months ago. Then one day the miles were gone. After online research and an email to referral support I learned that they've erased all referral miles from residents in Ohio, Virginia, and British Columbia due to legal concerns.

They pointed me to this site: http://www.mvdb.virginia.gov/forms/files/dlr-tlk-feb-2012.pdf

I find it frustrating because there was no notification, the miles were just gone one day, and I was the purchaser while the laws only prohibit rewarding the referrer (at least in Virginia). It's not a huge dollar value, and I later learned the miles expire in six months anyway, but it's still annoying.

dsvick | September 5, 2019

Yes, Ohio is the other state. Although I will say I did get my 6 months when I bought my car last year ....

vmulla | September 5, 2019

The way the policy is executed in Virginia is all over the place. I got 2 referral gifts, and was nothing the other times I referred. No reason given, I discovered the clause for Virginia through a friend. Had I known this I would have encouraged the use of non Virginia referral codes. That's what I'm doing now.