Forums

Scheduling Maintenance, and fed up with "Just use the App"

Scheduling Maintenance, and fed up with "Just use the App"

So, a message popped up saying that something was up with my car's 12-volt battery, and that it needed service. Fine. I waited to see if it would go away (as these things sometimes do). No, it didn't. I went looking for information on what might be the cause. The internet being what it is, I felt I had less information afterward than I did before I started looking. So I tried to find a number to call. Seems like one thing TESLA does not want you to do is actually call them. I eventually tracked down a number and navigated the asinine menu system. From there, I waited 10 minutes to speak with a human. During that time, an annoying voice kept droning on about the Tesla App.

I'm an old-fashioned guy. I don't do Apps--I run Programs on my Computer. I frickin' hate "smart" phones, and refuse to ever own one again.

So, I get to talk to someone, and she looks up my account, then says this should be done by a roadside service, and to just use the app on my phone. I point out that this is not possible. "Oh, well, you can use your computer to do it too." (Sigh)

Here's a clue: If I CALL someone using a TELEPHONE, it is because I wish to speak to/with a HUMAN.

So what this is all telling me is to go screw myself--TeslaCorp doesn't want to deal with me. I should be grateful to have a computer. They can't be bothered to treat people as people.

Oh, and my attempts to schedule said appointment: no luck.

I really enjoy the car.
But if Tesla Corp doesn't change its attitude, I may have to give it up.

johncrab | September 5, 2019

1) The 12v battery lasts about 28-29 months. You may have been noticing more of a parasitic drain in the past couple of months as the 12v battery loses capacity and has to charge more often off the main battery. It's about a $235 swap.

1b) I remember being able to call a service center, talk to someone there, schedule an appointment. Those halcyon days were quite something.

2) Be very careful expressing anger, disgust or disappointment at Tesla here as there is a gang of nitwits who will call you names and impugn your intelligence for daring to speak out about being shafted by this company. I know it all too well.

3) Have fun with the nitwits. They think they own the place.

TeslaTap.com | September 5, 2019

@koohii - Sorry for the problem, but it's not urgent. The 12V battery should be replaced within 3 weeks or so of getting the warning.

If you can post here, don't you have a computer? Seems like taking 10 seconds to schedule service online is a lot faster/easier than taking 10 minutes to talk to someone. You can pick the location, and it shows you the times available. In the description box, add "Prefer mobile service". They may be able to come to your home and do the work.

Sorry that johncrab considers you and everyone else in the forums a nitwit. He's not typical and most here have a low opinion his endless name-calling and negativity.

dsteal | September 5, 2019

I also noticed it's virtually impossible to talk to someone at Tesla. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to actually call a service center and ask a question. But no matter when I call, everyone is busy and it takes 30 minutes or something to speak with someone. It's kind of frustrating but I just schedule an appointment online instead and that way I can speak with someone. Once I'm at a service center, the experience is still very good.

Huachipato | September 5, 2019

@TeslaTap - are you sure you can still request an appointment through this site? After the re-design that took place a couple weeks ago I don't see any options anymore from my app or from my account page. Seems like all I can do is submit a web request or issue.

AIA304 | September 5, 2019

Our 2015 MS85 is still on its original 12v battery, in fact the mobile tech when disconnecting the battery for a keyfob issue checked the voltage on the 12v battery for me after I requested him to do so. Ours read 12.89vdc. Ymmv.....

AIA304 | September 5, 2019

Oh forgot, I don’t use the app, and never loaded it.
But that’s my decision. Good luck on your battery situation....

SnoR | September 5, 2019

@Huachipato - Same here, and with a LOT of other people. Some still have the option, some don't. I can't create a request from the app OR the web site, and there's still wrong information (car color, etc.) on the web site.

murphyS90D | September 5, 2019

Sign in to your account
Click Manage
Scroll down
Click Schedule Service

I just went through it to get the steps.

sr.smr | September 5, 2019

I also schedule online. And within a day or so, a tech will call to discuss the problem and provide advice and confirm the appointment with mobile service or the local service center. It was nice to be able to reach someone by phone, but now it seems to be dedicated to emergency road service needs.

koohii | September 5, 2019

I've been dealing with gormless twits in the real estate market for the last year. I expected better from Tesla's service people.
Heck, just finding a phone number or useful information on this site has become strangely difficult--like it is designed to obscure information rather than making it readily available.

Anthony J. Parisio | September 6, 2019

koohii,
Using the app to schedule a 12V battery change is sooooooo much easier than what you went through. This is a common easy maintenance which the app handles well. Why did you put yourself through suck a hell when a much easier tool was there for you? Do you use a paperclip to cut a steak or do you use a sharp knife?

I like talking to people. I do agree that Tesla should not stop us from calling. However the app does work easier for many things. I really want both.

P.S.: I have a hair salon. One has a much better chance of getting in with us if you use our online schedule system.

koohii,
Using the app to schedule a 12V battery change is sooooooo much easier than what you went through. This is a common easy maintenance which the app handles well. Why did you put yourself through suck a hell when a much easier tool was there for you? Do you use a paperclip to cut a steak or do you use a sharp knife?

I like talking to people. I do agree that Tesla should not stop us from calling. However the app does work easier for many things. I really want both.

P.S.: I have a hair salon. One has a much better chance of getting in with us if you use our online schedule system.

Sorry for the double click.

bp | September 6, 2019

Appointments can be scheduled online or in the app - and could probably be done from the browser in the vehicle (assuming Tesla's website is compatible with the Tesla browser, which hasn't always been the case).

Tesla is trying to streamline operations across the board, to reduce the amount of staff needed to support every vehicle, using automation as much as possible in every area that they can. And because Tesla does sales and service, if successful, they'll have a significant advantage over the other manufacturers who are stuck with a network of independent dealerships, who all do things their own way.

If a customer wants personalized service - working with a sales person, talking to the dealership/service department on the phone, … - then they should consider buying a vehicle from another manufacturer - though you won't be talking with those manufacturers, you'll be talking to a local dealership (who charges a lot for this service through the overhead they introduce in the sales and service prices).

The early days with our 2012 Model S were great - with Tesla immediately answering phone calls, talking with the local service center, getting loaners during service - even offers to pick up and drop off our car for service. In those days, Tesla was supporting a small number of vehicles had a relatively large amount of staff allocated per vehicle sold - and was losing a lot of money every quarter.

To maintain Tesla's high customer loyalty - they'll need to get all of this new automation to work - and get back to providing a high quality customer experience. They aren't at that point yet, though I wouldn't be against them on getting this all to work well...

Huachipato | September 6, 2019

@murphyS90D - I am not going to disagree that you see it in your screen. The option is just not there in mine. The only options I see are "view details" and "request help". The "request help" option only has the ability to pick a category and type a message - nothing else out there.

murphyS90D | September 6, 2019

Has it ever been there? If not, your local service center may not be set up for online scheduling yet.

TeslaTap.com | September 6, 2019

@Huachipato - Checked mine and between "View.." and "Request.." is a "Schedule Service" button. Are you in the USA? It may be different in other countries or maybe even some states, perhaps for legal reasons. In the Schedule service screen, you can pick the service center as well. It does defaults to the closest one.

Some states don't allow Tesla service, due to anti-consumer laws created by dealers. Perhaps these require special handling?

MX75D | September 6, 2019

You can also use the browser in car to do this. Rolling computer.
Oh yeah, the browser still sucks.
Proceed

TeslaTap.com | September 6, 2019

@MX75D - Maybe an MCU2 upgrade in your future? Much faster browser. Consider MCU1's CPU was designed in about 9-10 years ago - ancient in CPU years. Then again most other automakers feel like the CPU was designed in 15-20 years ago. Likely a browser isn't even possible if they tried.

I have MCU1 and agree not the fastest. Maybe V10 will help, but I doubt it.

EVRider | September 6, 2019

@koohii: Tesla’s entire business model is based on using the app and computer to do everything. I know most people would prefer to have access to actual humans for at least some things, but if human interaction is that important to you, Tesla is probably the wrong company to do business with. I’m not saying I agree with Tesla’s model, but that’s just how they roll. Maybe things will change when there are more competitors in the market.

SnoR | September 6, 2019

@Huachipato / @TeslaTap - FWIW, I have the same issue. No way to schedule service. The button is just not there on the web site (it used to be, but disappeared after the visual change), and it stopped showing up in my app. It USED to be in the app, as I used it to schedule mobile service a month or so ago. All this started happening with the web refresh. Not only can I no longer schedule service, but the main page after login shows my car as blue, when it is not. The Manage section has the right color, but nowhere is service scheduling.

sirbarton77 | September 7, 2019

I can't schedule service online or in the app. It used to be in the app, but has been missing for almost 2 months. It's a nightmare. Can't wait to test drive some of the new electric offerings by Audi, Volvo and others that have normal dealer service. I can't believe how terrible Tesla service has gotten since the model 3 release.

hsuru4u | September 7, 2019

service has gone downhill-its sad

mgutierrezmd | September 7, 2019

I agree that service has tons of issues. But "schedule service" still on my app. I logged in to website, still see ability to schedule appt on line. It has been reconfigured, so you have to know where to look but it is still there. Being able to schedule a time slot takes no more than logging in to this site, and starting a thread, proving you are not a robot, So, it can be done. Now, if you want to complain about talking to people with specific questions and policies at the service center sure...I feel you. But getting a time slot in the books is still fairly straight forward IMO.

Toddremark3 | September 10, 2019

I felt the same frustration. When I did it online, they wanted to send out a mobile service for my annual service and that wouldn't work because I needed my tires aligned. I finally got to speak to someone and make an appointment. Then when I got there, they told me they were a bit backed up because of the Labor Day holiday and that I would need to leave my car for at least 3 days to get serviced. I couldn't do that, so I rebooked for another day. I was extremely frustrated because they have my phone number, email, etc. and never thought of calling me to let me know about the delay. I switched to Tesla because I thought they had exceptional customer service, but that is quickly fading and so is my infatuation with the car as it is getting too frustrating to get in contact with someone or to get good customer service.

Huachipato | September 10, 2019

Yes - I'm in TX. There is a service center within 20 miles of my home and work.

I have old screen shots of my phone app with the "Schedule Service" option under the "Summon" option. But that is gone. The website option was there before the website update - it's just not there anymore for me.

nipper2 | September 11, 2019

I made one call to my service center in Cherry Hill, NJ and done no issue.

nipper2 | September 11, 2019

I made one call to my service center in Cherry Hill, NJ and done no issue.

Silver2K | September 11, 2019

Huachipato

Have you tried reinstalling the app?

grins.va | September 11, 2019

@Huachipato - while possibly inconvenient, you could stop by the SvC and show them the screen. Then ask for an explanation why the schedule service feature is not there. Let us know, thanks.

EVRider | September 12, 2019

Many people are reporting this issue and others. Tesla will fix them eventually.

Bill_75D | September 12, 2019

Is "eventually" later than "soon"? Because "soon" is a long time in Teslaspeak.

hsuru4u | September 12, 2019

Just drive there if its close and talk to a real person! This works for us. Get to know one of the techs or service guys and get their personal cell like we do and text them when you have an issue and need service.

jake | September 19, 2019

Needless to say it is freaking ridiculous to have to drive to an SC and/or beg a tech for their cell number to be able to speak to a support person or a tech. My daughter gets fab support on her $35k Bolt while I can't get anyone to answer the phone for help with my $100K+ Tesla.

No wonder sales are declining on the MS and MX models. We early adopters have done the adopting. Now they need to sell to people who own Audi, Mercedes, and BMWs -- and kinda expect to get phone support when they need it.

dgibson2 | September 19, 2019

I've been able to schedule service on the app since last week. I was unable to do so for about two months. Apparently it is back on.

UBQP | September 20, 2019

There is no "Schedule Service" option on the Tesla Account web page (accessed from this forum).

If you click on Manage you can get to a Request Help form to Ask a Question that includes useful FAQ as "Where can I download the Tesla mobile app?" and "How will I receive software updates?". /s

EVRider | September 20, 2019

@UBQP: I had Schedule Service on my Tesla account page, but it's no longer there. I still have the option in the mobile app. Tesla has been making changes to the web pages and I suspect they're not done yet. That isn't the only issue -- the vehicle details for my Model S don't show FSD, even though I purchased it. I contacted Tesla about that and they acknowledged the problem.

rickpaquin | September 28, 2019

I have no issue using the app to arrange for service, however the app is dumb and limited. It provides you with a date and if that date is in conflict with your life, there are no other choices. I had a lot of questions connected with my service, but no where to post them. It's just too limited for me. If they add more capability, and a way to receive text messages for questions, it would be fine.

beaver | September 28, 2019

50% of the time the app service schedule works 100% of the time. In other words Half the time I cannot schedule in the app and I am screwed because Burbank SC doesn’t answer and their mailbox has been full for months.

Definitely frustrating

jordanrichard | September 29, 2019

Johncrab, I don’t know where you get that the 12v only lasts up to 2 1/2 years. My original 12v last 4 years 103,000 miles. I had already had my 4 yr service scheduled when I got the 12v warning. Since that service was scheduled for 2 weeks laster, I didn’t worry about the battery. So, for two weeks I drove around with the warning.

SO | September 29, 2019

12v battery battery issue is not urgent.

I had mine done a couple years ago. Can go weeks after warning.

If contacting a human is an absolute necessity instead of just electronically scheduling, then Tesla is not for you.

@ Toddremark3 - did you mention the alignment with Tesla when you did the service appointment? I had my alignment done at belle tire for my MS and they did a good job.

@beaver what are some examples that you can’t use t he app for?

SO | September 29, 2019

@ sirbarton77 | September 7, 2019
I can't schedule service online or in the app. It used to be in the app, but has been missing for almost 2 months.

Then something is wrong with your account. Some people have had luck with contacting road service to then get ahold of someone.

HighdesertSeth | September 29, 2019

I feel your pain with the apps appointment making. Tesla told me at the service center that the appt feature disappearing is a known problem that they are working on. Mine returned shortly after bringing it to an employee at my local service location. Please be patient, it will come back.