Forums

Hit Freeway Center Divider while on NOA-Added Video

Hit Freeway Center Divider while on NOA-Added Video

First off everyone is okay and only the back drivers side rim got scratched. Here is what happened. We went to a baby shower in La Puente and after we were heading to a friends 50th in Fontana. I was head East on the 10Fwy in the carpool lane and had it on NOA. Just before the Fairplex off ramp the back wheel clipped one of the center dividers. It scared the crap out of me, I thought I was going to have a big gash on the side of my car. We pulled over/exit at Fairplex and checked the car. Luckily it looks like it only caught the rim. Now though I’m a little hesitant that something like this could happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? You think I should advise Tesla?

Here is a picture of the rim: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12--9Ig68j574qhMsfj6GD60488yosfAS

Let me know your thoughts.

rxlawdude | October 13, 2019

LInk doesn't work. You sure it was the divider?

Kesla_S | October 13, 2019

Sorry try again, just made it an open link.

Positive it was the divider.

Mi75d | October 13, 2019

I don't see how you could have gotten rim damage, and no car body damage, from any highway divider I've ever seen. Was there a low curb? Because you've got curb rash.

Mi75d | October 13, 2019

I should add that Autopilot isn't very good at seeing low curbs, based on my recent experiments with Smart Summon.

Kesla_S | October 13, 2019

They were the temporary dividers so about 2 to 3 feet tall and 12 feet long. It was divider yellow line maybe 6” wider then lane. We felt the hit and a loud bang pulled right over and that is what we saw. The divider was about an inch offset from the pervious.

Uncle Paul | October 14, 2019

Using NOA at highway speeds, in a construction zone, and next to temporary dividers is pretty risky. Not something NOA was designed to handle.

Sorry about your rim. Glad it was not worse.

Thanks for the warning.

inconel | October 14, 2019

Check your car alignment

Kesla_S | October 14, 2019

Most of So Cal freeways are always in construction. I’m not sure how was I was going I did see it but thought NOA would keep me centered. You would think it should catch it.

Yes I’m glad it is only seems to be the rim. I just want the to know. It could have be worse.

Kesla_S | October 15, 2019

So I pulled the camera footage. Look around the 45sec you can see it hit.

Front View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1orcCVFcJpQVMOk76O_yDG3KR1QyKPt68/view?u...

Left View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZM7UpaCJf7CTlO_CrqP1zEXHmrDjGbq/view?u...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thx

egonzo21 | October 15, 2019

yep, looks like the back wheel just clipped the divider that was protruding a bit, just as you said.

Bill_75D | October 15, 2019

My thoughts are that you have a lot more nerve than I do. I would never use autopilot with a barrier right on the edge of the lane. You were lucky to get away with only one ruined wheel. Could have been MUCH worse.

Agreed, but I am still surprised that it did what it did. I have an appt with the Pomona Service center next Tuesday for another item (My driver seat) I am going to ask them to check the car out then as well.

TeslaTap.com | October 15, 2019

Looks to me as if one of the cement barries is actually sticking slightly into the lane and that's what hit.

I don't see the car driving into the barrier. As others stated, I'd never use AP with barriers that close to the lane. Portions look like the barriers are on top of the yellow line as well. Scary to drive this area even without AP!

I agree with you, I am going to stay out of the carpool lanes like this around here. I think was was sticking out about an inch from another. I really thought the car stayed center of the lane. NOA does bother me that it always telling me to go into different lanes. Curious what Tesla will say.

rickrparker | October 15, 2019

Looks like a lot of cars hit that divider - skid marks. It is LA, it is the 10 Frwy and looks like a lot of cars going a lot of fast. Agree that I would never be on AP on that road. #justsayin'

2015P90DI | October 16, 2019

Lucky it was a k-rail instead a regular 90 degree wall. The lower edge sticking out limited the damage to just the wheel fortunately.

Sucks that it happened.

For whatever reason, Auto Pilot, version one and 2 and 2.5 and so on, always have a love for hugging the walls on the freeways. No idea why. Drives me nuts and always makes me nervous. Most of the time, I just take over. Otherwise, I have a tight grip on that wheel and am watching very, very closely. There have been many occasions where it would absolutely have hit the wall had I not prevented it.

I wish Tesla would fix this already. Figured they would have by now. AP is generally good about centering itself in a lane, but when there is a wall, it always moves closer to that side of the lane. Makes no sense. Stay away from immovable objects!! Common sense Tesla!

Sorry that happened to you. Glad it wasn't worse. AP is great, but I always refer to it as having the capability of a 5 year old. Can handle simple tasks, but struggles mightily with complex situations and other known weaknesses, walls being one of them.

Just for clarification, Nav on AP had nothing to do with what happened. That was the AP, auto steer feature of the car and would have happened whether you had Nav on AP activated or not. Its probably just how the car saw the road in that particular spot. If you were to drive the same route at the same speed, it would likely do the same thing again. The only exception would be if it was moving to avoid another car. Assuming it wasn't, then you just found one of the weak spots of autonomous technology. It's great, but still a long way from being able to handle itself without human input.

Check E-bay for a used wheel. Probably can find one there rather than pay full price from Tesla or T-Sportline.

Anthony J. Parisio | October 16, 2019

I had the same thing happen to my rim 4 years ago. Only thing is I was driving. No Autopilot back then. I agree with others I would not us AP in conditions that those.

TexByTheSea | October 16, 2019

This happened to me about a year ago, also in a California HOV lane. I think I have the same rims, I got some paint from Tesla that matches that color and have intended to try touch them up a bit, just haven't gotten around to it, but maybe it would help a little bit.

nukequazar | October 16, 2019

I’d say you have a claim against Cal Trans. That barrier is over the yellow line into the lane.

This is why, after owning a Tesla for several months now, I think true FSD—autonomous driving—is many years off. If Tesla OS can’t handle that, there’s no way it’s anywhere close to being a “robo taxi.” It would destroy too many cars and kill too many people.

NKYTA | October 16, 2019

Here is your participation trophy.
—-/—

TranzNDance | October 17, 2019

Is the trophy a broken sword?

Hammonddave | October 17, 2019

I too am a So Cal driver. I never use NOA when I am in the far left lane. Especially in construction zones (which is 90% of the roads in LA. Always keep vigilant. It’s not yet ready for FSD. NOA does not pick up pot holes either!