Forums

Michelin Primacy MXM4?

Michelin Primacy MXM4?

I need to replace my OEM Goodyear tires (15K miles). Planning to switch to Michelin Primacy MXM4. Has anyone used it here? If so, how is the road noise compared to OEM?

murphyS90D | October 15, 2019

Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were the OEM tires for my 2014 S85 and my 2016 S90D. I don't know why they switched to Goodyear but my guess is they got them at a lower price.

spatters805 | October 15, 2019

I had the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires for about a month. The tires were smooth, but tended to be louder with road noise than my previous tires. I don’t think they are foam lined. Tire co. swapped mine out at no extra charge and the road noise improved. Michelin’s had a better warranty tho.

‘16 MS75D AP2 HW2 FSD 19” Goodyear Eagle Touring tires

barrykmd | October 15, 2019

I had the MXM4 as OEM tires. My only complaint was poor wear. I got 27K from them. I never had the Goodyear tires.

Foam is marketing BS and only makes it more difficult to patch/plug.

I'm currently on my third set of tires and got the Nokian WRG4s this time. Haven't had the opportunity to try them in snow yet, but they are quiet.

TesMD | October 15, 2019

I highly recommend the MXM4. I had them on my first Tesla and they were great. Got 43k miles out of them. My second Tesla came with Goodyears and only got 23k out of those and put the MXM4 when I replaced them. Been pretty happy with the Michelins.

Rowlie | October 15, 2019

They were my OEM tires on my P85D. I got more than 40K miles on them, but found that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are quieter and last as long. I do think my range was slightly better with the MXM4 tires.

evaandmarty | October 15, 2019

I prefer the MXM4 over the current Goodyears because of great tread wear and superior sound qualities

jordanrichard | October 15, 2019

I have stuck with the MXM4s since new. I typically get 36,000 out of a set. At 169,000 miles, I am on my 4th set. How much life one gets out of a tire greatly depends on where and how one drives. Rapid accelerations and letting off the accelerator at the last minute, to get max re-gen, will wear out your tires quickly.

mcmack15 | October 15, 2019

They just replaced my OEM Goodyear's last month with the MXM4. Only got about 15K out of the OEM tires, hoping for more with the MXM4.

As for the noise----I didn't set out to do a comparison, but when thinking about it a few days after the new tires were put on I told myself that the new tires seemed about the same on the highway (maybe slightly nosier), but were quieter off the highway.

Find the ride to be the same.

PhillyGal | October 15, 2019

Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were the OEM tires for my 2014 S85 as well and they lasted us 50k miles so we replaced them with the exact same.

murphyS90D | October 15, 2019

If you want good tire mileage don't do launches. They don't squeal but the rubber is being ground off of the tire.

john.l12 | January 2, 2020

Michelin Primacy MXM4 is known to be noisier than some other tires. However the handling is very good.

grins.va | January 3, 2020

My MXM4’s were much quieter than the Goodyear’s they replaced even accounting for tire wear.

robgorman | January 4, 2020

I put the 19" Primacys on my 75D when I needed to replace the OEM Goodyears. I have 38,000 miles on the Primacys so far. Great tire. $710 installed at Costco.

AERODYNE | January 5, 2020

I don't see how you paid that little. 228 a corner at Costco, 227 at tire rack. Maybe a different style?

robgorman | January 5, 2020

That was my total including $150 discount during a Michelin "special" since Costco doesn't call it a sale.

AERODYNE | January 5, 2020

I see the special at Costco now, just started a few days ago...however only is for 4 tires and I only need two, plus I do not trust them to do the work....last place scratched my wheels...so back to tire rack

avesraggiana | January 6, 2020

The energetic but somewhat careless young guys at DISCOUNT TIRE here in San Diego CA also scratched up one of my rims while moving my S75D onto the lift.

rxlawdude | January 6, 2020

@AERODYNE, I'd trust Costco over most tire stores. They really make sure their folks know the Policies and Procedures. There is a marked difference in Tesla familiarity between Costcos - example, the Upland, CA Costco were totally flummoxed with my MS, while the Irvine/Tustin Costcos see as many Teslas (S, X and M3) as they do Camrys. The ones not as familiar may balk a bit, but they should have at least one worker who is familiar enough not to damage anything. :-)

AERODYNE | January 6, 2020

I visited my local Costco, not impressed with that stores knowledge of the car.

Still, cant beat them for bread and beer...

AERODYNE | January 6, 2020

I visited my local Costco, not impressed with that stores knowledge of the car.

I see damage near the jack points where the first owner trusted a high end tire shop in Mission Viejo.

The owner of the 5 star rated shop that scratched my wheels said it did not happen because he owned a Rolls Royce, until I showed him the before and after pics. Mind you, I brought them dismounted, cleaned wheels and tires and the scratched them twice in a row!

Many folks in the tire business torque the wheel lugs with the full weight of the car on the ground. This is bad practice.esp.for a tapered lug nut. I can't count on the fingers of one hand the times I checked the wheel torque after I shop had my car and at least one wheel was close to spec.

Still, cant beat Costco for bread and beer and maybe batteries for the ICE...

dano | January 8, 2020

The lug nut torque spec is for the loaded condition. Final tightening should be with the car on the ground..

loneranger | January 14, 2020

With my TMS 85D, I've gotten about 20K miles with both the Goodyear and the Michelin here in Houston - I don't consider myself to be an aggressive driver. I need a new set and I'm seeing the BRIDGESTONE TURANZA QUIETTRACK 245 /45 R19 98V SL BSW on the Discount Tire website - it's got an 80K mile warranty! If I get even half that, it'll be better than what I've gotten with the prior two sets. Anyone have any better wear with other tires than Goodyear or Michelin?