Forums

TeslaCam files play, but cannot skip or scroll through video

TeslaCam files play, but cannot skip or scroll through video

I am finding that the videos recorded, when played back do not allow me to skip/scroll forward or backward in the video. Depending on the program it either skips to the other end of the file, or playback freezes even though the timer moves. If I let the file play I can view the entire minute. I see this on Android & Windows, I've tried 2 different USB drives, a MicroSD, and TeslaUSB with the same results on all. It does not matter if it is saved, recent, or sentry clips either.

2 questions from this, am I the only one? I did not find other posts when searching, but that could be search term issues.

If I am not the only one, does anyone know of a fix?

acousticmood | October 19, 2019

Same here - it is annoying

johnmann | October 19, 2019

This has nothing to do with the video files and everything to do with the video player. I recommend you download one of the many TeslaCam viewers. They are available for most platforms and will make reviewing the videos much easier. All four camera views are displayed at once and they will be played sequentially instead of having to open each one minute clip separately. Best of all you will be able to play back at various speeds.

Joshan | October 19, 2019

@johnmann is 100% right, it has zero to do with the video. Its the software you are choosing to use to play the video.

jamilworm | October 19, 2019

I think you guys are wrong about it being the player. I have noticed that some Tesla cam files can be scrolled and some cannot. For example in the most recent batch of videos I pulled off my usb the front and back views can't be scrolled or set to a point in the middle but both repeaters can be. And this the behavior is the same in the Windows 10 Movies & TV app and also Windows Media Player.

gmr6415 | October 20, 2019

I agree it's the player. Use a player specifically programmed to play back Tesla dash cam/sentry mode files. Try playing them back here. https://sentrycam.appspot.com

It's almost too easy to use, and it's been updated for all 4 cameras.

johnw | October 20, 2019

You may want to try downloading a new Codec for windows. Here's a link http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

MoonDog | October 21, 2019

@Joshan, I believe it has actually to do with both the player AND the video file. All my sentry videos before v10 update could be watched on the default windows 10 player with seeking functionality ( to jump to middle of video for example). All videos after my v10 update are not seekable in that software... so the video file has changed.

Having said that, there are other players able to seek in files generated since v10, so there you go, with the proper player (or maybe codec update) it should play fine...

Hal Fisher | October 21, 2019

There is nothing in a video file that allows it to go forward or backwards, it’s just a collection of individual images that have sequential addresses. It’s the player that displays them in the order you select (forwards, backwards, jump, pause).

Hal Fisher | October 21, 2019

There is nothing in a video file that allows it to go forward or backwards, it’s just a collection of individual images that have sequential addresses. It’s the player that displays them in the order you select (forwards, backwards, jump, pause).

kevin_rf | October 21, 2019

While it is an annoying behavior with Windows Media Player, VideoLan VLC Media Player on Windows 10 does let you skip and scroll through individual video files. http://www.videolan.org/

Hal, depending on how the compression is done that is not always true. Often with lossy compression future frames depend on information in prior frames. Meaning the prior frames need to be looked at to properly decode the frame you are interested in. Most Codec's are pretty good at hiding that from the user so they get a smooth experience when playing backwards.