Forums

Power Off what is powered off ? Sleep what stays on?

Power Off what is powered off ? Sleep what stays on?

I tested the Power Off function yesterday. I performed two tests. I rolled down the drivers window and reached in through the open window and performed the Power Off. The center screen went all black but the cooling pump(s) remained on and the charge port continued clicking, both indications the car is NOT sleeping. I also performed another test where I placed a 50 pound bag of concrete in the drivers seat to simulate me sitting in the seat. In both tests I waited at least 10 minutes and nothing changed center screen remained black, pump(s) running and clicking at charge port. After both tests, I reached through the open window and tapped the all black center screen and the Power Off was canceled. Does anyone know what actually gets powered off? Maybe only the onboard Linux computer(s) get shutdown? If you open the drivers door after executing the Power Off, the power is also turned back on. Second question, does anyone know exactly what remains powered on while the car is sleeping? Can't be much because my power measurements indicate a draw of about 5 to 7 watts while sleeping. I have seen youtube videos where the Power Off function was used when the 12V battery was being replaced but since the DC to DC converter would still be supplying 12V what is gained?

-TheJohn- | October 20, 2019

The Above post and linked posts within it are 100% lies.
Do not listen to them.

johnmann | October 20, 2019

I have used the Power Off function when I'm going to be sitting in the car, but don't want the headlights and other accessories on. It seems to do the same thing as getting out of the car and walking away would do.

howard | October 20, 2019

I thought power off was the deepest reset behind foot on brake and hold both steering wheel scroll buttons and least is just both buttons while driving.

Pred4me | October 20, 2019

I had tried shutting off data sharing but then the phone app does not work so I had to reset the data sharing. Just like Robert in the earlier post said there is clicking sound somewhere by the screen and even the car is off it does that I have a feeling that my car is not sleep, I don’t wake up unless trying to start a charge. So can’t figure out the drain, anyone can suggest something would help.

EVRider | October 21, 2019

@Pred4me: I don’t know what kind of drain you’re seeing, but two possible culprits are Sentry Mode and Summon Standby. Make sure they’re both off.

PS: Who’s Robert?

FISHEV | October 21, 2019

Would be nice if Tesla gave a more detailed energy use summary. Some metrics on how much kWh heat will use, AC, battery preconditioning, lights other overhead and function use of energy.

People could use that info to extend the range of the car by being selective in use of the features. iPhone does it by telling you where the power usage is on your phone. Seems easy enough for Tesla to add it up. They must be adding it up anyway, why not share with the owners.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | October 21, 2019

“FISHEV | October 21, 2019
Would be nice if Tesla gave a more detailed energy use summary. Some metrics on how much kWh heat will use, AC, battery preconditioning, lights other overhead and function use of energy.”

For them to do that, they would have to know specifics of how you use those things, especially *for how long.*

billlake2000 | October 21, 2019

When you power off, your wheels cannot turn. This led to the original concept of emissions mode.

johnmann | October 21, 2019

From the manual,

"When you leave Model 3 with your
authenticated phone and key card, it powers
off automatically, turning off the touchscreen.
Model 3 also powers off automatically after
being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are
sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power
off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat,
provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch
Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
Model 3 automatically powers back on again if
you press the brake pedal or touch the
touchscreen"

This implies that the Power Off feature performs the same function as getting out and walking away. If you do use Power Off while in the car and then press the brake pedal the car wakes up instantly. It is not in any kind of deep sleep state.