Forums

Supercharger Issues

Supercharger Issues

I started supercharging and the time to completion was about 45 minutes. (It showed it was going to charge only to 80%, not the usual 90%)

Then, even with no additional cars pulling in after about 10 minutes, the charging rate started slipping down to about 20Amps from the previous 75 or 80 and time to finish became 1 hour and 15 mins.

I have never seen this behavior before.

The place was close to my house so I stopped charging and left for a home charge.

Has this happened to anyone and if so, Why?

Bighorn | November 2, 2019

Usually the pedestal and the response is to move to a different one.

80% is usually described on the screen as a high use location and it can be overridden

bob | November 2, 2019

Might have been the utility limiting the amount of energy available to the supercharger. Location? If you can stand the wait times you can always call roadside assistance to see if there are any known issues for the location. But then again - if I understand your post - I'd applaud Tesla if they know you frequent the charger closest to your home and limit you personally for frequent 'abuse' of the system. Superchargers are not a home charger replacement. They are there for users on road trips away from home. If you happened to be on your way home from a road trip - PLS ignore my 'rant'.

@bob
Tesla is well aware that some owners don’t have access to home charging and do not discriminate against them. Quite the opposite. That was the whole point of the 72 kW chargers.

losangelesram | November 2, 2019

I do not think Tesla was doing anything discriminatory. It might have to do with the Utilities. By the way, itt ahappened in Manhattan Beach's The Village.

avesraggiana | November 3, 2019

I used the Redondo Beach superchargers yesterday. Eight units total, with one shut down, dark and broken. It's been in that state for a few weeks.

I was the only one charging. Nevertheless it took me 45 minutes to charge from about 34% to 90%, or to add 130 rated miles. I think the peak charging rate I saw was 145 miles an hour.

Maybe it's the superchargers, maybe be it's Tesla throttling back my supercharging rate. I don't know.

losangelesram | November 3, 2019

Couple of days back, 4 of them were broke in The Village, Manhattan Beach, at least 1 broken in Fox Hills and many misbehaving in the sense that they started off great but started sliding back within minutes to home charge, non-Super rate.

Tesla needs to do a better maintenance job of these Superchargers. Period.

Alex310 | November 3, 2019

Fox Hills mall is the worst. I’ve tried all times of the day never see over 50. I am happy when I get 30 average.

losangelesram | November 9, 2019

I agree. In the last few months, I have seen it progressively getting worse and worse. A few days ago, when it showed 2.30 hours for a 90% charge when I had already 100 miles, I switched everything off and headed home, where I am always sure of 32A and 20 mph.