Forums

Ford and Rivian Are Freaked out how successful the the Cybertruck Is

Ford and Rivian Are Freaked out how successful the the Cybertruck Is

Update: 250,000 orders worth over $12 billion.

Other companies must be totally freaked out. Looks like Tesla has another huge success on their hands and is totally disrupting another category. I expect Rivian will drop their truck as too expensive and ugly. Better off concentrating on the Amazon EV vans they are going to build.

Magic 8 Ball | November 24, 2019

$100 Reserve fee is genius and just right for this launch.

howard | November 24, 2019

$100 refundable deposit on something that is 3 years off. Vapor sales at this point. Probably a very very small percentage turns into hard sales. But wow it makes for sensational headlines. After all that was mostly the intent.

Going viral is a very real possibility.

SamO | November 24, 2019

2=3 in troll years.

PteRoy | November 24, 2019

Ford sold almost 1 million trucks in 2018. Total truck sales almost 3 million. Sold. Not $100 pre orders for something years away. Actual money.

I think we need to calm down. Let’s wait for actual sales.

So the truck market is very large, who knew?

+1 Howard

SamO | November 24, 2019

I took delivery of my preorder Model 3 in 2017, so no plus ones for the trolls.

Sorry clowns but you can’t jawbone Tesla into submission.

Ford can’t weasel their way out of producing clean vehicles and Tesla is only coming for your core business.

Ford is in serious trouble.

Believe it.

+5 Howard

SamO | November 24, 2019

Try harder.

-100 SamO holder of Tesla stock. Only cares about making money. Doesn’t care about the mission or sustainability. Puts down any competitor. Hides behind supporting Tesla’s mission. Yet. Doesn’t. Just follow him around. You’ll see. SamO=greed. He’s in it for himself only.

Too real?

SamO | November 24, 2019

I thought about it a lot, but at the end of the day, specs and price is the king. For the price of top of the line #Cybertruck I can get absolutely no options bare bones entry level Rivian
I like Rivian, but price and specs simply not comparable to Tesla (and no charging network)

https://twitter.com/dealer_of_happy/status/1198426827460632577?s=21

SamO | November 24, 2019

“ I am not comparing them. I had reservation for Rivian, but after Cybertruck reveal logic (math) wins and I canceled Rivian and ordered two Tesla Cybertrucks. Just my personal experience as a consumer.”

+1000

SamO | November 24, 2019

Two for one, two for one. Two Tesla trucks for one Rivian price.

Lulz

Bighorn | November 24, 2019

@SamO
Aren’t you some sort of Tesla driving record holder from back before the stock even mattered?

SamO | November 24, 2019

Are you teasing me about why I’m not driving cross country like you today?

;-)

Yes. Love the car and love the road.

#DriveFree

No, I just find it funny when people’s guesses about who we are run so far astray:) Fortunately, some are capable of self-correcting. #asshat

Lol @bighorn that was a good one. Got a laugh out of me. Good job.

Back story. Someone called me an asshat very soon after arriving, years ago, but fairly quickly apologized after deeming otherwise and we’ve been very supportive inside and outside of the forum ever since. Some people never get past their first, mistaken impression, sometimes out of pride. I met SamO when he was crossing the country both ways in 9 days, I think it was, in a Model 60 before anyone had attempted it. I’ve since met his entire family on both coasts over about ten meetups in our travels. One of my many regular pit stops.

Come on Sam why are you being so lame. I had $2,500 down on the 3. You should have 25 CTs reserved. That is the point of only needing $100. Where is your Tesla cred?

apodbdrs | November 24, 2019

@PteRoy, I have a F150 which soon be replaced by a Tesla truck. Point, being one less ford owner and one more Tesla owner.

@apod

That’s fantastic! I hope the truck does really well. If money was no problem I would buy one in a heartbeat. But I stand by the fact that pre orders do not equal sales. Anyone saying otherwise has their motive.

The old meme that TSLA got crucified over was that it was using deposits to bolster the company financials, borrowing money for free. This is a strong signal that their cash position is quite comfortable. They had already reduced their deposits on other vehicles, so this is not out of line. Strategically, it probably helped woo some people away from their bigger deposits on other vaporware trucks.

SamO | November 24, 2019

@Big,

Thanks for letting the kiddies know how the road warriors roll. Hope to see you and Macy on the west coast soon.

Meanwhile, cybertruck reservations just hit 200,000 and since I need only (1) I have just a single reservation.

Trolls have been playing the same game since before we started our road trip adventures but haven’t been able to make a dent in the genuine love and affection we feel for a company that is accelerating humanity toward a sustainable future.

Ford ... hindering that goal and thus likely headed to bankruptcy.

Lol @samO that was also a good one. Man you guys crack me up sometimes.

SamO | November 24, 2019
“ I am not comparing them. I had reservation for Rivian, but after Cybertruck reveal logic (math) wins and I canceled Rivian and ordered two Tesla Cybertrucks.

SamO

Meanwhile, cybertruck reservations just hit 200,000 and since I need only (1) I have just a single reservation.

Which is it one or two? You have to keep track you know.

All BS

SamO | November 24, 2019

I put quote marks from the link on twitter (not me). Just somebody who showed up in my feed dropping their Rivian reservation.

@Dealer of Happy:

https://twitter.com/dealer_of_happy/status/1198430524957712384?s=21

SamO | November 24, 2019

I’m @TeslaMS60 btw.

teslamazing | November 24, 2019

Howard why u so salty lmao

SamO | November 24, 2019

Sorry Sam did not see the quotes but got the intent. Thanks for the “clarification”. LOL

200k pre-orders in just FOUR days. Yeah we all know not all 200k will actually but one.

BUT think about how many will be by the time it hits production.

Think.

The more the # of pre-orders increase the more % of people buying it increases as well.

People will want this truck and there is no denying it.

$1 (one dollar) reservations might have produced 1,000,000 deposits.........maybe next week who knows. Sure is fun to speculate. Right??

Let’s be realistic.

LOL who isn’t??

$1 reservations ??

SamO | November 24, 2019

Thanks Howard. I know it was confusing. And one changed reservation doesn’t a trend make. Just thought it was interesting.

$100 ?? Refundable?? What is the real difference. $1 could have produced another 800,000 reservations. The rest of the industry would have declared bankruptcy and asked Elon to take over. That is the ultimate game plan. Why limit the opportunity based on $100 go for the ultimate kill with $1 deposits. Based on all the speculation 999,999 would buy.

Sam, agreed.

The diff is that people just don’t go to Tesla.com and put their information in for a $100 deposit just for it to be refunded. Like I said, not all 200k will buy but there is more or a chance to buy when one places a reservation vs not.

Ross1 | November 25, 2019

200000 reservations, USA pop is 200 million So 1 in1000 .
Number of forum members: no one knows, lets say 1000 between the lot. 2000 if you like.
Where are the other 198000 getting their Tesla thrills from?

teslamazing | November 25, 2019

Ur saying only 0.1% will buy ?

Not 1% but 0.1%

sbeggs | November 25, 2019

@Ross1,
United States population 325 million or more. Census next year.

Only 200 orders out of 200,000 will be fulfilled ?

We’re talking numbers. Don’t matter if the population is 300 or 300,000,000

jordanrichard | November 25, 2019

While it is a valid argument that perhaps only 50% fo those now 200,000 reservations will turn into real sales. However 50% of 200,000 is hell of lot more than 50% of only 50,000 reservations..... So that 200,000 is very telling.

Just how many did Audi have for the E-Tron.......? As a matter of fact, no other car company has an EV or any other future model that has garnered this many pre-orders. IF so, we would have heard about it.

@jordan exactly my point. 200k in literally less than 4 days. We still got two more years...

Also, they haven’t even given the full specs and extra options of truck. Once they do, even more orders will pile on top.

Iwantmy3 | November 25, 2019

Personally, I have no need for a truck. If they could turn this into an SUV version, I would be all over it. My only contribution here is related to a work colleague of mine who has an F150 and is interested in going electric.
Day1 - Night of the reveal. Emails me saying "Is this a joke? Still on the floor laughing. I guess I will be getting an Electric F150 when it comes out."
Day 2 - Another email. "I have to admit, the specs are fantastic and 40K starting price is excellent. Maybe the looks will grow on me."
Day 3 - Another email. "I just put down a deposit. I think I'm number 150,000."

The looks of this truck are shockingly different from what people are used to. Yet, I think they can grow on people over time. I have always thought the look of pickup trucks was basic and ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Once these Cybertrucks start showing up on the roads, people will start to realize that pickup trucks of the 2020's don't have to look like pickup trucks of the 1930's.

Pages