Forums

Any Front Range, CO drivers out in your M3 today?

Any Front Range, CO drivers out in your M3 today?

Here in Boulder, we got 18" of snow, which was brought home to me by the amount I had to shovel just to open a pathway to the street. It looked too daunting to take the 3, so I took our Tiguan instead. Just curious if some brave soul actually powered through it successfully :)

wayne | November 26, 2019

Our side street is sloppy with a high center. I wish the Tesla had more clearance. Not ready to try it yet. I have yet to site a snow plow. Keep us informed.

jimglas | November 26, 2019

I took mine to work, out to lunch and back home. P3D-, No problem, but I went pretty slow.
I went around a lot of immobile cars on the road

wfickas | November 26, 2019

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha --- No.
Seriously though, I dug for 2.5 hours just to get the snow off my driveway, but nothing except trucks can get off our cul-de-sac. Thought really hard about putting in a reservation on Cybertruck.

coselectric | November 26, 2019

Clearance too low. Took my stupid CX-9 out instead. Days like this I want a Cybertruck.

12Brent | November 26, 2019

I took my LR RWD with snow tires out in Denver. I was literally pushing snow in our alley (we live right in the middle of the block), but we got around just fine. I kept my lifted Toyota Tacoma with 33's for days like this but I just couldn't resist seeing what the 3 could do in a real storm. Really impressed with how it did. Cant' wait to get my Cybertruck though. :)

determination | November 26, 2019

Would have gotten stuck at the bottom of the driveway. Jeep FTW today.

howard | November 26, 2019

Got my wife’s Q3 stuck in the driveway. Dug it out and made it to work and back. Worried about frozen road transitions tomorrow. Might take the Q3 first and if it seems ok to get out of the neighborhood I’ll go back for the M3. I’ll admit the Quattro was more stable the AWD on the M3. Should be as good but the rear slides around too much in comparison.

Bighorn | November 27, 2019

With the right tires, Tesla goes pretty much anywhere unless the snow gets over a foot.

howard | November 27, 2019

Bighorn, Yah I have 18" Michelin X-Ice on but I am not using my P3D+ as a snowplow but more power to those that choose to. I don't think the front splitter and undercarriage cover(s) are that strong or secure. It was no problem getting to work today other than the rear end sliding around as usual. It is making me a bit mad at this point after driving the Quattro yesterday. I am scheduling service to look at a few things and I am adding this to my list. While I have read where others experience the same issues (Tesla Wiggle) perhaps mine is worse and there is some calibration between the front and rear motors that might help. It should be rock solid!

jwins | November 27, 2019

Great insights everybody. Thanks! I have the 18" X-Ice on mine LR AWD, so it's nice to hear one *can* snow plow it (to a point). TBH, though, in our neighborhood the roads are so bumpy and with big channels of snow that another day with the AWD Tiguan should suffice. In that one, I have little care about how crappy are the streets right now.

12Brent | November 27, 2019

This wasn't me, but shows you what you can do.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5W3VJXHBwb/?igshid=1hymxj35z8kl3

jimglas | November 27, 2019

makes an excellent snowplow

ModernTriDad | November 27, 2019

I had mine out in Boulder/Louisville. I am also in the group who wished I had the Cybertruck for snow days. We’re new to CO but the local plows seem to plow once then let it all turn to ice mounds that Model 3s barely clear. Smart Air Suspension might have helped my wife not feel so car sick as we navigated the massive ice craters in the roads. I did have much better luck than her Nissan breaking through the plow-created barrier of snow for all of us with on-street parking. Hers only made it through that snow wall with me pushing the bumper.

The model 3 handled slippery roads well and would’ve been better with snow tires.

NKYTA | November 27, 2019

Sorta waiting for @barrykmd to weigh in.

I lived in Avon, CO for a couple years and a tiny Toyota Tercel Front Wheel Drive was better than most roar wheel drives.

It’s the tires.

NKYTA | November 27, 2019

s/roar/rear;

jwins | November 28, 2019

Thanks for that video link, @12Brent. Impressive!

howard | November 28, 2019

It does look pretty cool but soft fluffy virgin powder is one thing, packed heavy snow is another. There is no way my 3 would have made it out of our drive. Once on the road, the issue is where it is packed at entrances and hitting ice chunks that fall off trucks and the like. It would destroy the front end. Tore up an A4 lower bumper years ago hitting an unavoidable ice chunk. My office access road had pretty deep ruts with packed snow and ice. Heard a good deal of soft scraping and wished I had taken the Q3 again.

jwins | November 28, 2019

Good points, @howard. Getting out of my neighborhood in the 3 would've been a challenge the first few days, and the main roads are really bumpy and rutted right now. I'm going to trust that the 36 and I25 will be good for a drive down to Denver today.

wayne | November 28, 2019

I am trying to be patient. I am still clearing high center in our alley but I share Howard’s concern about ice at minor intersections. I am nervous about damaging the composite undercarriage. Better to bear the frustration and wait for a couple warmer days.

coselectric | November 28, 2019

By opting to take out my CX-9, I didn't want to imply that my Model 3 handles poorly on snow and ice - I know first-hand that it handles like a beast. But we got over 18" the other day, and I'd rather beat up my CX-9 in it than my Model 3. I would like to try out my new Michelin CrossClimates, but I think I'll wait until it melts a bit.

wayne | December 2, 2019

Made it out of my alley, drove to work today. Ruts are a mess but aren’t quite deep enough to cause the car to hit high center on the ice. I’m trying to avoid ice chunks. The car seems very sure-footed. Anyone run into real problems?

JAD | December 2, 2019

I was in a Turo Model S 75D in that storm with no issues other than the I25 is so torn up following the lanes next to the K-rail is a nightmare.