Forums

Transferring unlimited supercharging from Model S 2013 (now totalled) to Model 3

Transferring unlimited supercharging from Model S 2013 (now totalled) to Model 3

Recently my Model S has got into an accident and was totalled. I had free "Free Unlimited Supercharging" on my model S (2013).
I have placed an order for model 3 and want to see if anybody has been able to transfer supercharging credits to the new vehicle.

Really appreciate if I can get some help on this.

TeslaTap.com | December 1, 2019

Sorry, I've never heard of anyone being able to do this. The concept is the Unlimited Sueprchargering is locked to the car it was purchased with. When totaled, the "feature" passed on to the insurance company, that should have paid you what you paid for the feature. If a 2013 S60, it was a $2000 option. If an S85, the $2000 was part of the purchase price. In either case, it was part of the vehicle's price and is now owned by the insurance company - who may or may not be able to benefit from it. For example, it may be sold as salvage, and someone could invest the money to restore it. At that point, that owner would get unlimited Supercharging.

Bighorn | December 1, 2019

Not a thing.

rsingh05 | December 1, 2019

Only way to get free supercharging now is by ordering a new S or an X. Or a used S/X originally sold with lifetime FUSC that was transferable new owners.

Please note that the S/X’s (and 3Ps) sold with FUSC in 2018 were not transferable to new owners.

EAPme | December 1, 2019

I don't think it works that way.

Same goes for EAP and FSD, as far I can tell.

EVRider | December 2, 2019

@EAPme: You’re correct, FUSC, EAP, and FSD are all tied to the car, not the owner.

Haggy | December 5, 2019

They don't do that, but the irony is that it means that if I take road trips in my Model S instead, it charges more slowly and uses more electricity at superchargers. So they'd win in they transferred it.

rsingh05 | December 6, 2019

@EAPme and @EVRider - Yes and No, depending on when you bought your car with FUSC.

The early iteration of FUSC was tied to the car regardless of owner.

The next version of FUSC (2017-2018) was tied to the car AND the first owner. So if you bought a new S/X or 3P after 2017 but before end of September 2018, only the original owner would have FUSC. It would not transfer to the next owner. I know this for a fact as I bought my 3P during this time.

CST | December 6, 2019

It might make a good resin finish dream for them if they for example allows you to pay an additional $1,000 to own the FSD license that you could put on any vehicle.

CST | December 6, 2019

Sorry, that should have said "revenue stream"

sbeggs | December 6, 2019

@CST,
I kinda liked resin finish dream. Very evocative!

Pg3ibew | December 6, 2019

If a car company offers free oil changes for say, your Ford Explorer, can you swap those free oil chamges to you Ford Taurus?

The answer to this is the same answer to the origianl post.

Atom12 | December 6, 2019

@EVRider: "You’re correct, FUSC, EAP, and FSD are all tied to the car, not the owner."

I think you are wrong. My understanding is that my FUSC (9/2018 Stealth) is tied to BOTH me and the car.

jimglas | December 6, 2019

never happen

lbowroom | December 6, 2019

I agree. Of course not.

sheldon.mike1010 | December 6, 2019

I re-read all of the fine print in my purchase package paperwork.
There isn't a thing about transferability of any feature on the car.
You probably had Free Unlimited on that specific vehicle only and would be expecting
Tesla to just give it to you for free.
That doesn't fit in a profitable enterprise's game plan.Tesla must be consistently profitable.

jamespompi | December 6, 2019

I couldnt even get them to add my 1k miles of supercharging when my friend used my referral code.

EVRider | December 6, 2019

@rsingh05, @Atom12: All I was trying to say is that FUSC, EAP, and FSD do not transfer with the owner to another vehicle. Whether or not they transfer to a second owner of the original vehicle isn't relevant to this discussion.

Atom12 | December 6, 2019

EVRider @rsingh05, @Atom12: All I was trying to say is that FUSC, EAP, and FSD do not transfer with the owner to another vehicle.

I'd have to disagree with you on that also. My EAP is on my Contract and the Monroney sticker. I believe my EAP will absolutely go to the next buyer of my car.

I do agree that we've moved off of the OP's question.

quantum | December 6, 2019

I finally contacted Tesla sales about this and they told me it is indeed non-transferrable.

EVRider | December 6, 2019

@Atom12: Just to be clear, I didn't say that FUSC, EAP, and FSD do or do not transfer to the next owner. I said it doesn't matter for this discussion.

Lonestar10_1999 | December 6, 2019

I believe AP and FSD options are similar to the unlimited free super charging in that it is tied to the specific car and not transferable.

Haggy | December 6, 2019

It doesn't have to have something in the agreement for it to transfer to a new owner of the same car, since the presumption is that the car will retain the features that you paid for. But since it never said that you could take the feature with you, you can't.

However, from an insurance standpoint, the most the company can be required to do is give you the replacement cost of the vehicle. That means that in theory, you can buy a used 2013 car that comes with unlimited supercharging. Supercharging came with the car for a while after that, so you might want to consider a 2014 or 2015 with unlimited supercharging, assuming it transfers to the new owner. I think at some point they sold it with free supercharging for the original owner.

A 2014 or 2015 would be a big improvement over what you were used to. There are pros and cons compared to the Model 3. If you want FSD, you'd need a Model 3 or a much newer Model S than from those years. If you don't want FSD but do want Autopilot, you'd actually lose capability with a new Model 3 compared to a used 2015.

Haggy | December 6, 2019

"I believe AP and FSD options are similar to the unlimited free super charging in that it is tied to the specific car and not transferable."

If I buy a car that comes with certain features, they can't decide that those features stop being part of the car if I sell it. They can do that if they explicitly tell me that when I buy the car, which would really mean that the feature isn't part of the car but that I bought a subscription or software license.

FISHEV | December 6, 2019

Tried to purchase the unlimited charging from co-worker's Stealth M3. They use their X for family travel and home charge so he never uses it.

We offered Tesla $2,000 to transfer to my car but no go.

Smart move on Tesla's part as my yearly charging bill from Tesla is going to be $1,700 year..

Magic 8 Ball | December 6, 2019

They moved you to swing shift?

jallred | December 6, 2019

1700 / .24 *4.1 = 29000 miles

25,000/310
80.65 x 75kW
6,048 x $0.28

Your homework assignment tonight

Magic 8 Ball | December 6, 2019

@FISHEV Why did you change your name from EaglesPDX, what is your story?

Too late...it comes to $1,693.54838 a year for charging.

jallred | December 6, 2019

Forgot rate went to .28.

Ok so 25000. Just saying that’s a lot of miles.

calvin940 | December 6, 2019

LOL. Eagles is ever in a position to give someone else math homework! HA. Nice one.

rsingh05 | December 6, 2019

@EVRider - if the OP wants to know how to get FUSC on his next car, one of the options is to buy a preowned car which had FUSC that was transferable.

As for the original question of transferring from one car to another, that has been answered multiple times.