Forums

304 miles will I make it?

304 miles will I make it?

I have a model 3 long range I took possession of in August 2018. It has 16,000 miles. I have never charged it to above 280 miles or driven it to below 80 miles. I do not pay attention to how many miles I get or what the battery is doing.

Tomorrow morning I have to drive from Cleveland Ohio to Grand Rapids Michigan for my daughters gymnastics competition(and back in the afternoon). Temps will be in the mid 30's. I am going to do 10 over the speed limit so 65-75 mph. I do not want to stop to charge. Once there I am surrounded by charge point charging stations and a Tesla destination charging station. I do not know what these are. The nearest Tesla supercharger is 10 miles away - and I need to get back to the competition.

I see how some "reset" a battery but I have never done that and it is to late to do at this point. I do not know if I got the update to 330 miles - I believe I have a rear wheel drive with original range of 310 miles. I am charging to 100% now. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what the max range is so when it hits 100% in a couple hours I will know.

I cannot be late and I do not want to stop to charge on the way. The low temps concern me.

Will I make it?

PS what the heck is up with the EVERYTHING taking precedence over my backup camera? Dangerous. If I do anything (shut garage door, radio, etc.) backup camera on screen goes away and does not coma back. Unacceptable.

Magic 8 Ball | December 5, 2019

● Very doubtful.

walnotr | December 5, 2019

I will go even further and say, NO! If you do as you propose, you will not make it. Look at your life and slow down,

hokiegir1 | December 5, 2019

Unlikely with the winter temps. Give yourself an extra 30-45 minutes (ABRP says a 25 minute charge in Ann Arbor will get you there with 15% remaining -- then you'd plug into one of the Destination chargers) and just make the stop. With a 4 hour drive, you'll likely need a restroom anyway, so just charge at the same time.

And you can turn the rearview camera back on by pressing the camera button in the bottom left.

FISHEV | December 5, 2019

You won't make it. It's 274 miles.

Figure your 310 rated miles are 30% less in the cold, pushing 40% with cabin heater on plus the 70 mph.

Just in the 40's here and I have to charge every day for work. It's 104 miles round trip and then 52 miles back, 156 miles but it's dicey if LR AWD will make it to work on Day 2 and would not have enough even if it did to get to Tesla SC 20 miles from work.

Figure to do a fast 10 minute charge at 120kW should give you 158 miles, 95 cold weather miles and then you charge at the destination and then 10 minute charge again at midpoint to get home.

Effopec | December 5, 2019

I wouldn't try that. What's your aversion to stopping? Try to map it out in abetterrouteplanner.com, Looks like they recommend a quick stop in Ann Arbor.

Oh, and for the back up camera, just hit the camera button again (the little round button next to the charging icon on the left side of the screen). You can even have it up while driving if you want.

vmulla | December 5, 2019

No..You need to charge along the way.

gmr6415 | December 5, 2019

Go into your car's navigation and add your trip. The car's navigation will tell what you need to do, how long it should take, where you should stop to charge and for how long.

KAM6 | December 5, 2019

You will not make it. To your point about the back up camera, it is kind of annoying it closes the window but that being said there is a button on the main screen to open that camera whenever you like.

KAM6 | December 5, 2019

Wow. I took way too long to type that. Sorry for the duplication.

richard | December 5, 2019

Is there anyway charging can be done on the road in the relative near future? Inductive or like those refueling jets? Also, side track and sorry OP (you wont make it, stop2charge) what if you could just put it on AP and instead of charging with a cable while your driving, the Cybertruck simply PUSHES you somehow, or connects to your vehicle (some way not scratching anything on the M3) and charges via REGEN, so no actual tethering. Ok, thats lame...i guess you would then just trailer it? Ok, semi weird rant over...again sorry OP. Carry on..

richard | December 5, 2019

Also I agree fully on backup camera. I start to rely on it, exclusively for my safety, and then BOOM..gone for whatever reason... yeah you can get it back, but its a safety thing...dont ever have it leave the screen when in R.

Be sure to NAV to the chargers to activate Preconditioning or your 10 minute charge might turn into 30 minutes. It took 10 minutes for the battery to heat up to allow just 50kW rate the other day because there was no "Preconditioning" activated. The Preconditioning itself will cut your range about 10-20 miles depending on temps. No one knows but all assume that with the NAV on Preconditioning is smart enough to dial itself back so you make the destination. If you charge mid-way at 150 miles, you should have just enough for Preconditioning.

The cold really takes it out of the EV's so error on the conservative side.

Pg3ibew | December 5, 2019

If yiu were driving a gasoline car, what woul you do? Do the same thing with your EV

dvargo71 | December 5, 2019

Thanks! I was hoping the cold would only be 10%.....

Also hoping starting from a warm garage would somehow help - which is really silly, battery will be exterior temp in an hour or less.

I will plan a stop

TexasBob | December 5, 2019

You are going to have to charge. Try EVTRIPPLANNER.com In my experience it does a nice job of rout planning and allows you to account for speed, cargo, and temperature. You have like 8 superchargers on route. You should pick one of the most convenient for a stop.

Magic 8 Ball | December 5, 2019

Running out of juice will cost you an expensive flatbed ride, don't get caught on the flatbed of shame! Cold is one thing but wet roads, headwinds, unexpected road delays, etc. are all things to be aware of and prepare for.

Thanks! Roughly how many miles can I expect to get in a 30 minute charge? Assuming I precondition.

STUPID question but I have a good deep cycle marine battery - anyone ever investigate taking it just in case? I suspect I can get an adapter to allow it to charge - yes slow BUT getting another mile or two.....

I think about this more for the truck. I have bee in REMOTE areas in the Rocky Mountains and with an EV another mile or two can make a huge difference.....

lilbean | December 5, 2019

I wouldn’t depend on the navigation to tell you when to stop. I was driving from LA to Mammoth and it was skipping the Mojave station. I would never have made it if I listened to it.

Break that 30 min charging stop you're considering into 2 stops - 20 mins + 10 mins (or something like that) you'll be better off.

vmulla not sure what you mean?

rdavis | December 5, 2019

Thanks! I was hoping the cold would only be 10%.....

Also hoping starting from a warm garage would somehow help - which is really silly, battery will be exterior temp in an hour or less.

I will plan a stop

As a note, at those speeds you're not going to get anywhere near rated miles regardless of outside temp. I wouldn't expect more than 250 miles of MAX range in 60-70 degree weather at those speeds and more realistic would be in the 230-240 range. Just FYI for future....

Also what is a destination charger?

And is there a way to check my payment method and confirm it is updated and working? It has been over a year since I charged anywhere but my own home.

Bighorn | December 5, 2019

@dvargo
Go to your account and see if they have your credit card info. Even if they don’t, you’ll just get billed. Wouldn’t keep you from charging.

I found credit card info in my account, I wish you could save a backup method just in case. My credit card company LOVES to give me a new card way before needed, with a new number, causes a lot of issues since I have a hundred accounts set up to it. gggrrr

bjrosen | December 5, 2019

dvargo71@ Destination charging is a Level 2 EVSE, if it's a Tesla EVSE then it will charge at 11KW, if it's a J1772 then it will most likely be 7.2KW and sometimes they are as little as 4KW. If the OP can plug in while he's at the even then he should be able to get a good amount of charge.

As for the original question, can he make it without stopping at a supercharger the answer is absolutely not. It's a 300 mile trip, even in summer you can't do 300 miles @75MPH, you could do it at 40MPH. In the winter there is no possible way. You need to plan for a couple of Supercharger stops along the way, two stops will take less time then one long stop. The charging speed tapers off pretty dramatically as the battery gets full, two stops where you charge to 80% or a little more is better than one stop where you charge to 100%.

“ Roughly how many miles can I expect to get in a 30 minute charge? Assuming I precondition.”

Easy 85% in 30 minutes if at at 120 kW charger.

Spif | December 5, 2019

When you leave from a heated garage, your battery will stay warm due to charge/discharge. A key thing to remember is that you want your battery to be warm for charging, so when it's cold out always plan to charge at the middle/end of a drive and NEVER at the beginning of a drive if the car is has been cold for a few hours.

For charging speed, you get the fastest super-charging on a low battery. If the supercharger locations work out, plan on charging at 25% full (depending on conditions that's 200 miles?), then only charging to ~80% full, or even less. Whatever gives you enough range to get where you're going and back to a supercharger. That will only be a 15-20 minute stop

A destination charger offers lower charge rate (ie, adds less miles of range per minute) than a supercharger, but they work fine.

Wearing some warm clothing and gloves allows you to keep the cabin colder and save range too. But nothing is going to allow you to get all the way there, so you might as well plan for the fastest fill-up on the way there

Effopec | December 5, 2019

I'm not sure exactly your start and finish, but A Better Route Planner shows a 20 minute stop in Ann Arbor, arriving in Grand Rapids with 10% (assuming starting at 90%). That 20 mins would add 135 miles of range, of course assuming you're not sharing power. There is a SC in GR, so you would need to hit that either as you pulled in, or on the way out of town. You've also got options in Maumee and Lansing along the way, plus a few others that are a bit off the route. After charging in GR you would need to either hit up Ann Arbor again, or Maumee on the way home.

Earl and Nagin ... | December 5, 2019

Regarding that deep cycle marine battery: Assuming it's a 100 Ah batttery, that's 1.2 kWh. At 250 Wh/mi (optimal driving), that will get you 4.8 miles of range.
That would be taking a knife to a gunfight. Tesla batteries are awesome compared to the old stuff.
Plan to find a Supercharger for a half hour and you'll be fine. Hopefully, there's a nice place nearby for you and the kids to enjoy a treat for their good effort while you charge.

spuzzz123 | December 5, 2019

Yeah you have 4 supercharger options along your route (not even including Cleveland) that’s pretty awesome for a 300 mile trip. Stop and grab a sandwich. Watch some Netflix. You’ll be surprised how short of a stop that can be.

Michigan is actually very nicely integrated with SCs. I was surprised considering the state’s hostility towards Tesla.

“I'm not sure exactly your start and finish, but A Better Route Planner shows a 20 minute stop in Ann Arbor, arriving in Grand Rapids with 10% (assuming starting at 90%). “

I would make 20% battery minimum in winter as the cold has a drastic effect on the battery in a lot of ways.

Thanks! Yikes I had NO Idea a marine battery was that weak! I would have guess 15 or 20 miles.

Because we are leaving early more stops = earlier to get up. I am going to try for only 1 stop (and start with full charge).

1 stop 1/2 or more, charge there, then 1 stop on way home. Lots of good ifo guys thansk! Also my friend iwth a model S says he never even heard of preconditioning - is it only a model 3 thing?

On the 90%, best to keep it to 85% or even 80% so you have 2 x 10 minute charges vs. one 30 minute charge.

andy.connor.e | December 5, 2019

Does it take 10 minutes to pull off the highway, plug in, unplug, and get back on the highway? Not including the sitting and charging time?

Wilber | December 5, 2019

dvargo - you asked about destination charging. So far, folks have simply told you the charge rate. An important thing to know about destination chargers are that they are installed by businesses to be used by THEIR CUSTOMERS. However, even if you dont patronize the business, if you ask politely they will often let you charge anyway. What about just charging at a level 2 at your destination?
I think what vmulla was proposing was a 20 minute stop on the way there and a 10 minute stop on the return trip. Good luck at the competition!

Abetterroute planner allows you to plug in the temperature and a reference power consumption. I plugged in 30F and 350W/mile as the reference power consumption, they showed one stop in Ann Arbor. If it were me I'd do two stops, an earlier stop in OH and a second in Lansing.

With experience, you don’t need trip planners. You’re not there yet, it seems. Having the car finish charging right before departure might get your winter penalty down to 10%, but you’ve already compromised your range with your speed. I could eek out 304 miles, but it wouldn’t be pretty.

Sparky | December 5, 2019

Bighorn is right. You might be able to do it as a science experiment at slow speed with the heaters off but what's the point? Plan a stop with at least 20% SOC so the car can precondition the battery to charge quickly, drive fast and comfortable with the heaters on, and your total trip time will be similar anyway. Cutting it fine for time on a 300 mile trip is illogical in any vehicle because of the variables you may encounter on the journey anyway.

I see how 2 stops can be better and on paper look the same as 1 twice a long but when you factor in a couple miles of the freeway, stopping, plugging in, etc it is more time. Then again it might be smoother then I think, its been a while!

I am hoping to only stop once n y way and charge there and on the way home so 3 total. I am planning to stop in Ann Arbor (170 miles from home and 130 miles from Grand Rapids. I should easily make it to both places.

My car only charged to 310 miles, can I do the update and get that higher?

No updates for range, plus it is just a numbers game, not a change in battery capacity. Splash and dash is generally how people do cannon ball runs coast to coast, now in under two days. Charging above 80% is rather inefficient, though it’s improved over the years. In my S, I try to leave by 60% SOC because by then i’m only getting 55 kW. The calculus changes with bigger battery packs, 2170 cells and V3 stalls.

rxlawdude | December 5, 2019

My "Captain Obvious" answer: Leave earlier and stop for SpC on the way.

@dvargo71,
You're getting a crash course in EV charging - I'm sorry you're having to do this at a time like this. Good thing about this is every long trip that you do after this will be a piece of cake :)

Now you get why I was suggesting 2 stops instead of 1, I'm glad that others explained it for you better than I did.

My "Captain Obvious" answer: Leave earlier and stop for SpC on the way.
---
Kids are involved, it's not that easy :)

Bighorn@ There was a recent Cannonball winner who put a 184 gallon tank into his back seat, he was guaranteed to win one award, ether the Cannonball or the Darwin.

peldor427 | December 5, 2019

@dvargo
Go to your account and see if they have your credit card info. Even if they don’t, you’ll just get billed. Wouldn’t keep you from charging.

I thought this would be the case as well, but I had a friend that recently purchased a Model 3. He was traveling when he finished usage of his free miles. At his next charging stop the charger blinked red and refused to charge. I can't remember the error it gave but it wasn't obvious. He tried to call help but the wait time was extremely long so he contacted me. After debugging a few things I had him re-enter his CC info. It seemed that the expiration date was wrong and after he corrected it allowed him to charge. He had already tried multiple chargers, watched other people charge at specific chargers, rebooted the car, etc. So I'd double check on your card, but at least it seems changes take place instantaneously if you have a problem at a SC.

@vmulla, the only constraint the OP gave was he could not be late.

Kids love to wake up extra early on competition days. :-)

Sparky | December 5, 2019

If you pull the nav mode left side data info down for expanded view and the map goes into map overview mode the SOC at destination is always shown. If it shows at least 10% just drive like hell and have fun; if it drops to single digits you'll want to start thinking, i.e. reduce loads, slow down, plan an additional stop etc. It's simple and it works. If you wait for the car to bug you it's a little braver and you may be glad you gave yourself the 10% buffer especially on a cold day.

Thanks!

ADinM3 | December 5, 2019

@dvargo, just for reference, I had to drive only 160 miles prior to Thanksgiving. Due to an accident, I got delayed almost 1.5 hours on one 8 mile stretch of the interstate. The temperature was around 50 degrees. Surprisingly, the car (LR RwD) didn't use that much power during the delay, but nonetheless I went from 91% SOC to about 14% upon arrival. I then needed to drive back out and use another 5% charge to make it to the SC near my destination as the family/dogs weren't about to stop 10 minutes short of the destination and sit another 30-45 minutes at the SC after the long drive.

Yours and mine are perfect examples of why range is king when buying a car as their are many edge conditions when a SC stop is not convenient. In my case a SC stop was not even an option and I would have never imagined making 160 miles would ever even be in question. Fortunately, they are rare events.

Keep us posted how it worked out for you.

Pages