Forums

Superchargers out of order

Superchargers out of order

Driving a long distance for the holidays, I couldn’t help notice quite a few supercharging stations were out of order. Is there anyway to report them?

BadgerErickson | December 21, 2019

If you are not a 'bot of the evil empire of exxon/mobil, why don't you post them here?

Wow, what an idea; take 2 minutes to post up the actual info you are trolling on....?

Xerogas | December 21, 2019

@md_trac: Tesla’s massive data centers are well aware of exactly which Superchargers need attention.

flickroll | December 21, 2019

Unfortunately that info goes unread or is not a matter. There’s one in Charlottesville, VA that’s been f-ed up for a number of months.

A somewhat related topic is that with Tesla’s current success with selling cars (particularly M3’s), long lines at chargers will become the norm outside of an infrastructure boost by Tesla.

@BadgerErickson, @md-trac is in no way a troll. He is asking a legitimate question.

BadgerErickson | December 21, 2019

Drive by.........

Yes you are

David N | December 21, 2019

"I couldn’t help notice quite a few supercharging stations were out of order."
Which ones did you notice were out of order?
Sharing with everyone may help someone else as they travel.

PrescottRichard | December 21, 2019

All the pedestals I’ve seen have stickers with phone numbers on them for reporting. Or you can email supercharger-service@teslamotors.com.

I suspect Tesla is well aware of which are down, but why not pester them with requests- you can say you did something and maybe they’ll realize how important that pedestal is.

vswendsen | December 22, 2019

Posting on Plugshare is an option. I realize not everyone uses that app when using Superchargers but I will check it just to see comments from other Tesla owners about what is around the area of the Supercharger. People will sometimes post charging speeds or comments if a station is not working.

billtphotoman | December 22, 2019

I have also noticed the odd stall out of service but part of the genius the of SC overall design is it is very rare for an entire SC _site_ to be down outside of the obvious case of an outage of the supplied electricity.

jerrykham | December 22, 2019

Just the other day we were on Interstate 5 in CA and stopped at Harris Ranch. The first 6 stalls were completely off (no red "Tesla" light). These had been reported by others over a week prior and they were still down. The 18th and last stall had a light, but it was taped off and had an out of order sign on it. Of the 18 stalls, only 11 were working. Recently in Concord, CA there were 4 of the 19 taped off as out of order. It does seem it is difficult for Tesla to keep up with maintenance on such a large installed base of Superchargers. Normally a few down here and there isn't a big deal but with some of the CA chargers having lines (mostly on high travel times like holidays, but some chargers have lines more often) it can be a problem to have several of them down. Actually about 2 months ago the San Ramon CA site (the first one - the V2, not the newer urban ones across the freeway) was down for several weeks. Anyway, we were able to make our trip from the CA Bay Area down via I5 to San Diego and back up via US101 through Santa Barbara with no queues or issues accessing a working stall. We did hit the San Clemente site that has something wrong with it twice - once on the way down and again on the way up and it has greatly reduced charging speed at all of the stalls.

janandmike | December 23, 2019

In Englewood Ohio i70 and i75 there are 8 chargers. 4 have been down since before December 10. Today I see charger 5 of 8 is broken also. They all have cracked tips. The supercharger site does not reflect any problems.

CoinFitz | December 24, 2019

The Phoenix Camelback station has been bollocksed for months (since September at least). At least half the chargers are down at any given moment. Corp doesn't seem interested in fixing them, and yes, they're aware.

Mike83 | December 24, 2019

BS

Bob.Calvo | December 25, 2019

“They all have cracked tips”.

We have a similar problem in Annapolis on 2B. They don’t do well if/when people drop them on the pavement. Certainly most people don’t, but accidents do happen. The elegance of the design compromises robustness when poorly handled. Short of an expensive/impractical redesign/retrofit for a new connector port on all vehicles to accommodate a thicker/tougher plug, I’m wondering if they’ve looked into a materials upgrade for new and refurbished supercharger plugs.

CoinFitz | December 26, 2019

Funny how all these thrice-damned spammers are verified Tesla owners.

SCCRENDO | December 26, 2019

I was at Mammoth last weekend. On Saturday night the Supercharger was full. Yet we got a great rate of charge. On Sunday I just wanted a quick top up while I grabbed a bite. I was the only car there. While my battery was at 80% it charged at 40 miles per hour. I know I was at a high state of charge but that seemed pretty slow for me being the only car there. As a storm was coming in I didn't want to hang around and left at 95% instead of the 100% I wanted,

Earl and Nagin ... | December 28, 2019

@SC,
40 mph doesn't seem surprising above 80% SoC. Remember the battery was likely cold which limits the speed in addition to the high SoC.

SCCRENDO | December 28, 2019

@Earl. Despite over 200,000 Tesla miles I don’t use superchargers very often. And over the last few years hardly use them. It’s been a long time since I even went over 80% so perhaps I have forgotten. But this seemed awfully slow

Earl and Nagin ... | December 28, 2019

@SC,
I bet you don't charge in cold temperatures very often either. All understandable and reasonable concerns.
This is why destination chargers are so much nicer than Superchargers for overnight stays on cold country road trips. You can simply plug your car in over night, set to finish a 100% charge right before you leave, giving you a warm, full battery for the day's driving.

SCCRENDO | December 28, 2019

In mammoth it depends where you stay. If you stay at the Western or Village Inn they have destination chargers. We stayed at the Mammoth Mountain Inn which is easy ski in/ski out. It is 3 miles up the hill but costs 10 miles. I lost 30 miles phantom drain overnight. I could have easily made it to Inyokern anyway but decided to top up while I had lunch