Forums

TACC and Overtake Accelleration

TACC and Overtake Accelleration

I have a 2020 Model 3 AWD Long Range with Autopilot and software at 2020.4.2

The manual says:
"When following a vehicle with Traffic-Aware Cruise Control active, briefly engaging the turn signal (to indicate a move into the passing lane) accelerates Model 3 towards the vehicle ahead. By momentarily holding the turn signal lever up or down, you can quickly accelerate up to your set speed without having to press the accelerator pedal. The turn signal causes acceleration only when all of the following conditions are met:
• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is operating and detects a vehicle in front of you.
• No obstacles or vehicles are detected in
the target lane.
• Model 3 is traveling below the set speed,
but over 45 mph (72 km/h)."

It does not work at all for me. With the turn signal lever up (to change right) it does not accelerate at all.

For example, I have the TACC set to 105 km/h and I approach a car that is doing 98 km/h. My car slows down to 98 km/h as expected. I hold the turn signal lever up and I'm still at 98 km/h. I have to physically change lanes and then once fully in the clear lane does it slowly accelerate to 105 km/h. I have met all the conditions listed.

Is it broken or am I doing it wrong? Note that I have tried both the soft up (momentary turn) and hard up and it makes no difference.

EVRider | March 30, 2020

Are you using TACC or Autosteer? I believe it only works that way when using TACC without Autosteer. If you are using TACC, is the target lane empty?

FISHEV | March 30, 2020

That sounds like Auto Lane Change which I don't think is part of AutoPilot. You have to purchase Full Self Driving to get auto lane change.

Sarah R | March 30, 2020

@ATJ are you in the UK or Canada?

EVRider | March 30, 2020

@FISHEV: Overtake Acceleration is a TACC feature, and has nothing to do with Auto Lane Change. See the manual excerpt in the OP. That's why I asked if the OP was using Autosteer rather than TACC.

ATJ | March 30, 2020

I'm in Australia: right hand drive, right lane is overtaking/fast lane.

I'm using TACC only. I am not using Autosteer or Auto lane change.

The target lane has been completely empty for the 20 or so times I have tried to use it.

Joshan | March 30, 2020

I am wondering if there is a language issue going on.

It sounds like you saying saying you come up to a car in your lane doing slower than you are, is this correct?

At that point you want the car to pass the car that is slow in front of you, is this correct?

If so this is "Navigate on Auto Pilot" only behavior right now, which only works on highways(not sure if it works at all in Australia)

FISHEV | March 30, 2020

@EVRider "Overtake Acceleration is a TACC feature, and has nothing to do with Auto Lane Change. See the manual excerpt in the OP. That's why I asked if the OP was using Autosteer rather than TACC."

Ah...I wonder if that's why it used to (for me) slow down when in TACC and I put on turn signal and move into passing lane. I usually do it before the Tesla slows down.

The feature described sounds like more work than just leaving TACC alone, put on turn signal and move into passing lane. If you've slowed then hit accelerator vs, messing with TACC lever and having car pick acceleration. You may be moving into faster traffic so speed up manually to match and then get back in slower land.

Guess I'm not getting the utility of the feature.

ATJ | March 30, 2020

I'm driving driving along a motorway in the left lane. I have TACC set to 105 km/h. I come up behind a car in front of me that is also in the left lane. That car is doing 98 km/h. Once I get to the Cruise Follow Distance (page 90 of the manual), TACC slows me to 98 km/h and I maintain the Cruise Follow Distance.

What should happen, as described in the manual, is momentarily holding the turn signal up should cause my car to accelerate so I get closer to the car in front and I can overtake it. I shouldn't have to depress the accelerator pedal, it should just accelerate and let me pass.

At the moment, I either have to:
1) change lanes before I get to the Cruise Follow Distance;
2) manually accelerate as I change lanes; or
3) just change lanes an wait for the car to realise there's nothing in front and accelerate itself.

3) is just stupid so I try to do 1) if there are no cars in the right lane or 2) after any cars have passed.

If you look at page 91 of the manual
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_am...
which is still under the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control section, it has a whole column on Overtake Acceleration which I quoted above. It has nothing at all to do with "Navigate on Auto Pilot" which is on page 96!

Tronguy | March 30, 2020

Fish is present, as usual, attempting to hijack the conversation.
Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

Also: FISH often makes reasonable responses.. which then go gradually off into the weeds, on purpose. It's not worth your time to figure out what statements are true and which are false. Best is to ignore him/her/it.

Joshan | March 30, 2020

I still don't understand what you are saying. Good luck, maybe someone else can help.

spuzzz123 | March 30, 2020

I’m not getting it either. You are at the closest safe distance behind a car. You want to accelerate without first changing lanes. Why do you need or want to be closer to the vehicle in front before you change lanes to overtake? I’m surprised tesla even has this option. Sounds reckless.

Ok I read the manual, I guess the idea is to let you accelerate so you don’t pull into a faster moving lane and force others to slow down while you come up to speed. So my first thought is maybe your follow distance is set to 1 (closest allowable follow distance) and perhaps tesla won’t allow you to get any closer than that for safety purposes. Perhaps try setting follow distance to 2 or 3 and then see if the feature works. A guess, but it might make sense.

ATJ | March 30, 2020

I've tried it with Cruise Follow Distance set to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. It doesn't make any difference. It does not accelerate at all.

Hypothesis 2, tesla realized this was an unsafe or seldom used feature and removed it in an ota.

ATJ | March 30, 2020

I don't actually see it as unsafe. Even the Cruise Follow Distance of 1 is farther from the car in front than many people drive. It also means you have to accelerate manually to overtake.

Magic 8 Ball | March 31, 2020

What real difference is there between lifting up on a stalk vs pushing on a pedal (are they both not manual)?

spuzzz123 | March 31, 2020

Joshan may have hit on it. That manual says North America. Is there an Australian version? Different country means different autonomy regulations. I know Europe is more restrictive. Maybe same for Australia?

FISHEV | March 31, 2020

Magic 8 Ball | March 31, 2020 What real difference is there between lifting up on a stalk vs pushing on a pedal (are they both not manual)?"

None. But @ATJ is trying to use a function as Tesla says it should work and it's not so his questions are legit. No traffic on the roads to try it with right now but a nice project to do a road test on to get out the house for a while.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

he is also using instructions for a country other than his own... stop being a troll.

FISHEV is an EVIL DISGUSTING LYING TROLL that always tries to put Tesla in a bad light.

FISHEV | March 31, 2020

Joshan | March 31, 2020 he is also using instructions for a country other than his own"

Well when they come out with the Australian language version of the manual he can use that, right now I guess he has to use the manual Tesla provides. This is base AP anyway so doesn't look like an issue where Tesla FSD functions are not legal in EU markets.

FISHEV is an EVIL FILTHY TROLL

Joshan | March 31, 2020

and a moron apparently, his trolling is getting stupider by the day.

EVRider | March 31, 2020

@ATJ: I never use TACC without Autosteer so I can’t say if overtake acceleration is working for me, but I suggest the next time it happens, use the bug report voice command to report it. There’s not much else you can do.

walnotr | March 31, 2020

First, let me say I haven’t tried this. Reading the manual I find it implies once the turn signal has been turned on, you lightly press the stalk again to accelerate to merge into the adjacent lane. Have you tried that? I will give it a try the next chance I get to leave the house.

ATJ | April 1, 2020

As far as I am aware there isn't a specific manual for the Model 3 in Australia. In fact, the Owner's Manual linked from my account is the same one I linked above.

Further, the Owner's Manual available in the Model 3 on the touch screen has the exact same text about Overtake Acceleration.

@Magic 8 Ball: The difference is that if it works the way it says it should you ONLY have to move the turn signal. The alternative is to move the turn signal (to indicate you are changing lanes) AND depress the accelerator pedal. So two actions versus one. Anyway, it's a documented feature so it should work.

@walnotr: That's not how I read it. It says "briefly engaging" and "momentarily holding" the turn signal lever. However, next time I drive the Model 3 I'll try that.

I got an update to 2002.8.3 overnight so I'll see if that makes a difference, too.

Magic 8 Ball | April 1, 2020

@ATJ Even though there may not be a different manual there are some features that do not work in all geographical locations. Manuals are not always perfect.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

anyone tried this out yet in US to see if it works?

ATJ | April 1, 2020

@Magic 8 Ball: Then it should be removed from the manual available in the Model 3 itself, or at least say that the feature is not available in all jurisdictions.

Interestingly, in other areas of the manual, it mentions other features which may not be available in all jurisdictions so I have to wonder why that is not mentioned here.

Magic 8 Ball | April 1, 2020

Not a perfect world. Contact Tesla.

ATJ | April 3, 2020

Definitely not a perfect world. The voice command "Bug report" does not work on my Model 3.

I hold the right scroll ball, the voice command prompt appears, I say "Bug report" and I get a message thanking me for my bug report. I get no opportunity at all to say what the bug actually is.

FISHEV | April 3, 2020

ATJ | April 3, 2020 Definitely not a perfect world. The voice command "Bug report" does not work on my Model 3."

You should report it via the bug report...Doh!!!

Magic 8 Ball | April 3, 2020

@ATJ It will not carry on a conversation with you. Have you tried saying "bug report and reporting the bug without pausing and waiting?

ATJ | April 3, 2020

@Magic 8 Ball: I tried that too.

"Bug report overtake acceleration does not work with traffic-aware cruise control", with no pause or waiting. It cut me off while I was saying "acceleration".

ATJ | April 3, 2020

Just tried it again and it asked me to set my work address - but did not register a bug report.

Magic 8 Ball | April 3, 2020

@ATJ That is good, it is not cutting off right after you say "bug report". Try saying it differently if you can. The voice recognition works perfect for me but others do have some issues so it may be pronunciation or syntax related.

spuzzz123 | April 4, 2020

Has anyone in the US actually tried this? I haven’t been on the freeway in 3 weeks.

spuzzz123 | April 4, 2020

Ok I tried it today (US LR RWD owner) and actually did get it to work. As ATJ mentioned, the target lane needs to be clear ahead of me. Then I had to press and hold the stalk halfway ... the car sped up and closed the distance between me and the lead car. It would not work if I pushed the stalk all the way up/down. I didn’t find this to be more useful than simply using the pedal, but it did work as the manual described.

ATJ | April 4, 2020

I managed to finally lodge a bug report.

I had to say "Bug report no overtake acceleration with traffic aware cruise control" and it took a few goes until it got it right.

If the word "work" was anywhere in the report, it wanted to "Navigate to work" instead.

ATJ | April 4, 2020

@spuzzz123: So perhaps it is a US only feature...

tfmodel3 | May 8, 2020

Tesla has support chat where can you ask questions, which I did. Here was their answer on Overtake Acceleration (pretty much what the manual says)

You briefly engage the turn signal. By momentarily holding the turn signal lever up or down, you can quickly accelerate up to your set speed without having to use the acceleration pedal. TACC has to be engaged, no obstacles or vehicles must be detected in the target lane and your vehicle has to traveling below your set speed, but over 45 mph (72 km/h).