Forums

Who's Missing Driving their M3?

Who's Missing Driving their M3?

Having been working from home over the past few weeks, my wife confessed that she just misses driving her car. She really enjoys the M3. Is it breaking "shelter in place" to go from your car in your garage, go for a 20 minute drive and back home, without getting out of the car or doing anything else? Who else enjoys driving their car so much that they actually miss it while teleworking?

Enjoy...

Matt

marym23 | March 31, 2020

Mine's been in the body shop since Dec. 12 from someone rear-ending me. I really miss driving my car. I am in construction so we are considered essential so I still have to drive to work. I'm driving a loaner from the body shop which is a Toyota Yaris, basically a roller skate with a shell. Can't wait to get mine back but I still don't know when that will be! Big bummer.

Bighorn | March 31, 2020

You can go for a drive, but most will assume you’re doing more and may judge you.

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Charging at home with our solar and driving avoids gas stations, etc. Roads are pretty busy with trucks trying to deliver toilet paper I believe. ;-)

Magic 8 Ball | March 31, 2020

I highly recommend you go for a drive but be careful and safe.
Cabin fever can kill.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

I suggest you follow the advice of the medical professionals and officials in your area rather than random internet people. Especially if the MD in your name stands for Maryland.

Orthopod | March 31, 2020

Just don’t get in an accident if you go for a nonessential drive. At HSS in NYC they are starting to see full blown viral pneumonia on full body CT scans on polytraumatized patients arriving for MVA crashes.

Treating a polytraumatized is already a channel, nos adding all the covid-19 precautions on top of that is a nightmare

Wilber | March 31, 2020

Matt - I certainly miss doing any kind of decent length drive in the M3. I do use it to drive to various local groceries in search of TP. But, I am tempted to just drive to the closest regular supercharger just for fun. I say go for it!
Mary - my deepest condolences! Driving a Yaris for over 3 months! but i guess it as least better than testing positive for COVID-19....

Lonestar10_1999 | March 31, 2020

If you’re like me with a 90 mile commute, the work-from-home directive allows my M3 warranty to last longer. At approximately 20k miles per year I know I will hit the warranty mileage limit long before the time expiration.

The funny thing is, I traveled barely 5 miles running errands with 2020.8.1, but now I have 2020.8.2 with no place to go to check it out.

andy | March 31, 2020

We’re having problems here with the Government guidelines being stricter than the law and then various police forces taking their own view of guidelines rather than enforcing the actual law.

The spirit of the law is don’t go out unless you have to, stay away from people and get regular exercise in a sensible way.

Driving without an objective would be unlikely to constitute a reasonable excuse for leaving your home. Driving to then exercise isn’t illegal here, but very much frowned upon and the police have been leaving warnings on cars in some areas.

The roads are also getting more dangerous. Some people are treating the lack of traffic as an opportunity to use the roads as a racetrack. At the moment the last place you would want to be would be a hospital.

There’s a lack of consistency. The various countries and principalities in, and associated with, the UK each have their own laws. You need a lawyer to navigate the real rules, and probably some test cases as we use common law, but common sense says “stay put” and common sense should keep you out of trouble.

(Just opinion from reading coverage - I’m not a lawyer!!)

Racetrack you say, I just got the new track mode update, hmmmmm.

Seriously people are dusting off table saws they have not used in years and cutting fingers off, pick your poison.

calvin940 | March 31, 2020

I miss mine but for a different reason. Back on Mar 15th a girl ran a red light in front of me as I was entering the intersection on my green. ETA on repair April 5th.. well hopefully.

https://imgur.com/o08RAQf

lilbean | March 31, 2020

Ouch!

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

With fewer drivers and economic activity we may end the year with fewer deaths overall. 35,000 deaths by car accidents alone. Also cleaner air so less strokes and heart attacks(840,000 deaths in a year).
How many virus deaths? Maybe 10,000?

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Forgot to add gun deaths which was up over 15,000 excluding suicides. so possibly more gun deaths.

https://www.thetrace.org/2020/01/gun-deaths-2019-increase/

Joshan | March 31, 2020

Racetrack you say, I just got the new track mode update, hmmmmm.

Seriously people are dusting off table saws they have not used in years and cutting fingers off, pick your poison.

This is Fish elvel dumb... really? Yes its too dangerous to be alone in your house!

calvin940 | March 31, 2020

Actually just checked.. it was actually March 5th. My time clock is messed up during this whole COVID situation. Also, Tesla CAM to the rescue holy cow.. sent to police and insurance. Instant no fight. Not my fault, paid in full by girl's insurance company and no deductible from me. Man I love that feature. Was super awesome. Can't wait until Tesla allows you to view it on the screen. Could have shown the officers right there and then.

Bighorn | March 31, 2020

10,000? You mean by the end of the week?

Joshan | March 31, 2020

Mike83 | March 31, 2020
With fewer drivers and economic activity we may end the year with fewer deaths overall. 35,000 deaths by car accidents alone. Also cleaner air so less strokes and heart attacks(840,000 deaths in a year).
How many virus deaths? Maybe 10,000?

On TV Trump/Birx/Fauci just said 100,00 - 240,000 deaths expected if people listen. More if they do not.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

that was 100,000 to 240,000 damn typos

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

I don't know where you get your numbers but it is under 3,000 deaths so far.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

I believe vaping deaths are higher

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-d...

If you want to promote paranoia you are not being helpful.

There are a lot of bogus numbers and false comparisons. The attempt to downplay severity by putting up numbers of how many die from heart disease, car deaths, etc. is disgusting.

As to your BS Joshan you still sound like you are in a panic. The fact is Tesla is open for business and installing HW3 right now which means they are enabling the traveling in cars for unnecessary upgrades. Can you square that up with telling people to not go out and take a little load off by getting out of the house and take in a little drive?

So, how is your son doing, last week you were in a panic over this, why leave us hanging on how he is doing now?

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

False comparisons my ass. You must avoid social contact but don't exaggerate deaths. Most recover from this but possibly people who do vaping, drink heavy, smoke, etc. might easily die from this.

Do you understand anything about geometrical or exponential progression?

Joshan | March 31, 2020

Mike83 | March 31, 2020
I don't know where you get your numbers but it is under 3,000 deaths so far.

Un president Trump and Doctors Fauci and Birx? You have better sources?

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Just the numbers please. Yes it will increase but the actual numbers are important. China has no new cases with a much higher pop. density. Statistics can be made to look the way you them to. But I agree the US is behind and will see more deaths. I wouldn't catagorize all deaths due to the virus. For example:
I knew a guy that died a year ago and they labeled it pneumonia but he was probably alcoholic with a weakened immune system. So be careful with exaggerations.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

who are you talking to? which exaggerations?

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Yes Joshan click on the CDC link I put in above.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

Anthony Stephen Fauci is an American physician and immunologist who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984

vs.

Mike83 Random guy on the internet who thinks he knows better than Fauci.

Damn who to trust, I am torn?!?!?!

Numbers coming from China are still suspect.

Italy seems to be a more useful bell weather and they are on a downcycle now but they had a downcycle that reversed already before this one. It is way too early to make an accurate model and it may come in waves.

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

I gave you the CDC link but you refuse. Don't take my word and I sure don't take yours.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

I am not giving my word, I just watched the press conference on TV with news as of this hour. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Apparently the Tesla Shanghai factory and galleries are open and Starbucks have opened their stores. I don't take kindly to conspiracy theorists.

M3phan | March 31, 2020

Sounds like we could all use a short drive in our cars...

Joshan | March 31, 2020

Are you having a conversation with someone who doesn't exist? Who mentioned Starbucks and Shanghai? /boggle

BTW your links are way out of date there is more than 3,500 dead it is over 700 today alone.

I am also not trusting the CDC there seems to be inconsistency there. Nancy Quick's job was eliminated in China last year and although I am not a CT person there seems to be some covering up.

"In a statement to Reuters before the report was published, the CDC said the elimination of the adviser position did not hinder Washington’s ability to get information and “had absolutely nothing to do with CDC not learning of cases in China earlier.”

I believe that is false and that there a Trump bootlickers doing the talking in the CDC while others are being suppressed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-cdc-exclusiv...

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

People like drama I guess. Think I'll take a drive and listen to some smooth jazz.

*Linda Quick's

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

reuters? they are pretty anti Tesla. I don't read them.

Joshan | March 31, 2020

dude the drama is only you refusing to accept facts.

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

dude. LOL

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

dude. LOL

So there is the problem in a nutshell, which sources to believe. It has been crystal clear to me Trump has been trying to downplay since the beginning and now they cannot hide the bodies from the cameras so, once again, the media and free speech is our only chance at getting truth.

Lonestar10_1999 | March 31, 2020

I choose to believe Donald Trump’s assessment from three weeks ago. The Coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, no worse than the seasonal flu.

April Fools!!!

Mike83 | March 31, 2020

Just a few hours ago the death rate is lower than has been reported. Like I said there are other factors involved but I've had enough with the drama; believe it or not:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index...

Joshan | March 31, 2020

I trust Fauci as he has been there through many presidents and seems to cut through the BS and does not kiss butt.

Sorry but not until tomorrow but I do expect some doozies, thanks for the reminder.

Good one : )

Joshan | March 31, 2020

There seems to be 2 camps on this.

1. the entire thing is way overblown and we should get back to normal
2. the world is ending and we are all gonna die

Can we back to reality which is in the middle? Maybe try trusting doctors over politicians and reporters on medical issues?

Orthopod | March 31, 2020

“Magic 8 Ball | March 31, 2020
I am also not trusting the CDC there seems to be inconsistency there. ”

The only thing you trust are your wrong instincts

My "instincts" have served me very well, thank you.

yudansha™ | March 31, 2020

I go for a drive every other day. I find a reason not to stay home and go nuts.

Pages