Forums

3rd Rail Charging System

3rd Rail Charging System

https://www.pluglesspower.com/

The above link illustrates the use of inductive charging on a Nissan Leaf. I think the Tesla cars should be equipped with a similar alternate charging system that could utilize the same stationary system (just as fast as the L2 wired version) or produce a magnetic field of similar size in major roadways that would charge the car while driving long distances. Thoughts?

Redmiata98 | July 11, 2016

Any inductive charging system is by its physics slower than a conduction charging system.

Roadgen | July 11, 2016

How do you think power gets to your house? If you said a transformer...you're correct. Please look at the link. The induced power is a product of the field strength, the size and number of coils, and the speed that the coils move through the magnetic field. Thanks for the obvious comment...still would like to drive to LA and back without stopping to charge...even if it is somewhat less efficient than running a 300 mile extension cord.

Redmiata98 | July 11, 2016

Sorry, I should have added: It is slower and more costly than an HPWC. The only advantage that I can see to using it is that you do not have to plug it in. The disadvantahes far outweigh that one advantage for me.

jordanrichard | July 12, 2016

This system has been brought up before. Wireless charging is to inefficient. I paid an electrician $250 to install a 14-50 outlet that gives me 28 MRH. That "plugless" system cost $2500 for a MS and gives you something like only 20 MRH. Also, you have a tripping hazard in your garage because though it is "wire less" it is not wireless from the wall unit to the transformer pad that sits under the car.

Roadgen | July 12, 2016

I'm thinking bigger...generating a magnetic field in the road and charging the car while driving...the wireless charging system is just a proof of concept.

DTsea | July 12, 2016

Roadgen.... not going to happen. Very expensive and fragile. Taxpayers wont pay for potholes.... not going to pay to rebuild freeways.

DTsea | July 12, 2016

Roadgen.... not going to happen. Very expensive and fragile. Taxpayers wont pay for potholes.... not going to pay to rebuild freeways.

NVJoule | July 12, 2016

Once the critical mass of EVs are on the road, taxpayers will be on board. For now, EVs are just about the only ones using the road NOT paying the gas tax that funds most of the roads on which we travel. Third rail charging will allow for smaller battery packs and more efficient vehicles. Loss of energy through induction is still less than the energy loss in ICE cars with their heat generation plants.

Roadgen | July 13, 2016

They are already doing it in Britain....

http://www.gizmag.com/uk-electric-highways-trial/38897/

Roadgen | July 13, 2016
Roadgen | July 13, 2016
Roadgen | July 13, 2016
ram1901 | July 14, 2016

@Roadgen ... it's a trial.
I know you mean well but It is too costly and inefficient and the trial ... IMHO ... will show that it does not make economic or engineering sense.

Charge at home or at superchargers. 99% of the time you can charge at home and would never need to pick up juice from a highway.