Just came back from a round trip from Sunnyvale, CA to Seattle, WA. The trip is about 850 miles long in one direction.
I was looking forward to it (love driving my Model X 75 locally) but this is the first time I came back from a trip in Tesla and felt exhausted, partly due to restraints imposed by the car.
In this post I want to share some negatives as I think we are all aware of the positives.
I have some friends who would do the one way trip in one go, taking them about 13 hours. Given we are travelling with kids, it is winter and we need to charge we decided up front that we are going to split it into two days.
- 7 superchargers each way meaning we had to stop every 121 miles on average
- It took us around 18 hours each way, which means supercharging added 5h to the trip time. This means that on average each charging lasted about 45 mins.
- Temperature was about 32F and this meant that 212 rated range would transform into 140mi-150mi real range.
- Weather can cause traffic delays which further impact the range. There were two times when we made supercharger stations with less than 10 mi indicated on battery. Pretty scary when you have small kids in car.
- This creates anxiety and I spent a good portion of a trip trailing behind a truck driving slower than otherwise
- Snow and dirt will affect falcon wing sensors so the doors would never open fully. My back still aches as I got used to grabbing kids half-bent. Door open override feature, while useful, is sometimes inconvenient to reach out to.
- There are not always food options around superchargers specially in these more remote areas. Also some chargers were difficult to reach due snow not been cleaned.
- Seattle does not have a nearby supercharger so had to charge in a commercial station effectively paying as much as I would pay for gas for the same trip
- It roughly took us 2x9h each way, basically meaning two full days
When we finally returned home I felt exhausted. My comfort levels were very low. I'd say that about 50% of the time I loved the car and other half I disliked it.
What I'd expect will happen in the future to make this more comfortable
- 130kwh-140kwh battery so that we could basically use every other charger. Ideally it would be only 3 charging stops for such trip. Charge and eat at first, sleep at second, charge and eat at third.
- as much as I love them, I would replace falcon wing doors with normal doors if I had the option