Forums

Likely no final reveal?

Likely no final reveal?

From live blog session updating Q&A with Elon

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2017/02/22/tesla-earnings-arrive-am...

Q:When people could expect to see a final, production-ready version of the Model 3?

A:Not sure if it’s going to make sense for Tesla to show a final version before start of production, Musk says. First cars usually go to employees so any issues can be addressed. Final version is still a few months away and likely close to July. Car is going to look “pretty close” to what Tesla unveiled last year, he adds.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

Rsandy | February 26, 2017

As a new (one month) Tesla S owner and a new contributor to the Forum I am delighted that anyone would pay attention to my posts (and more than delighted with the car). I see a difference between the X roll out and the 3. The X had a very slow and problematic ramp up. There was not much use to putting them in showrooms or the test drive fleet as the wait time for delivery was huge. With the 600,000 or so orders in hand and hordes of potential buyers wanting to test drive the 3, and the planned capacity of 10K units a week, Tesla will need to do much, more in showrooms and test drives than it did with the X.

ps, I have a order in from the first reveal day on a 3.

KP in NPT | February 26, 2017

There is going to be a final unveiling. It just might not be until they are ready to actually open the design studio to non-employees.

Zero chance they will expect people to configure their cars without having seen it, at least online and the ensuing media coverage.

M3forMe | February 26, 2017

@KPinNPT - agreed. There will be a final unveiling. I think it will be before the employee gets their car. Otherwise, the leak info from the "Founders" cars will make very bad PR.

Efontana | February 26, 2017

There needs to be a reveal to drive configuration orders that determine long lead time components.

AWD being the main one.
This would not be an issue if they follow the Subaru model and make all the cars AWD :-)

JeffreyR | February 26, 2017

@Rsandy wrote, "I see a difference between the X roll out and the 3. The X had a very slow and problematic ramp up. There was not much use to putting them in showrooms or the test drive fleet as the wait time for delivery was huge."

That's a good point. The Great Ramp Up will mean that Model 3 "testers" hit Stores & Galleries before the MX did. I am just not feeling too confident that they will before the M3 Design Studio opens and they deliver the "Founders' Editions" to the employees.

Ross1 | February 26, 2017

Not all Subies are AWD

Efontana | February 27, 2017

Hi Ross,

About 1% of their annual sales of 600,000 are brz rear wheel drive, but within a platform do they offer more than one alternative for number of driven wheels? As in All Outbacks drive all 4 wheels.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/subaru/

They are the highest growth car company in the US market growing 13% per year since 2006.

They have a focused identity as safe. That includes crash tests as well as AWD (active safety).

Subaru has demonstrated that AWD as standard is good business if your brand image is safety.

"I don't know what it is" ambiguity messes up a promotional script. That promotional script is the key to long term brand success. Crisp is better than mushy in apples and impressions.

Red Sage ca us | February 27, 2017

Subaru has done well for themselves.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10/subaru-brand-sales-figures-usa-cana...

But after decades in the U.S. marketplace they have only just reached the level of sales that Nissan managed in 2002.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10/nissan-brand-sales-figures-usa-cana...

Ross1 | February 28, 2017

Being in Aus, I speak from that perspective. I doubt if 50% of Subies here are All Wheel Drive.
We could check by reviewing carsales.com.au

SCCRENDO | February 28, 2017

@ross. Are you getting one??

Ross1 | March 1, 2017

No.
Was prepared to swap out the Citroen C5 last year but nothing going wrong so will keep it.
I cant work the Tesla screen, its on my left in AUS, because of severe intention tremor.

Pages